This Is Why Les Will Never Hire Me

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
Well, it's one reason...

I'm recording a backing track for my mother to use at church during the Christmas season (and yet, my skin is not bubbling off, the earth is not splitting beneath my feet, the Carcass CD is not skipping unexplainedly...). I sat down the other night to mix, and there's a dropout in one of the main acoustic guitar tracks (one guitar, one condenser mic, one ribbon mic). So I went to one of the alternate takes, and it has a dropout, different spot, not as severe. I tried a couple different things to try to fix it - volume adjustment, cut and paste from one take to the other (tracks were grouped, so this didn't work so well). In the end, I re-recorded the part and verified it before I hit save and shut down for the night.

My daughter is home from college this week, so I'd asked her if she'd like to try recording a viola part for a different flavor. I'd scored it out, figured it would give it a different flavor since viola is such a prominent part of bluegrass-ish arrangements. Plus my mother has been asking if she'd do this for a few years.

So I went down to set everything up and decided to use the ribbon mic on her part. Still on the stand from when I recorded the guitar part. Moved it into place and had to spin the mic in the mount and...that's when I saw the cable was not fully plugged in. DOH! So that's what happened to my guitar parts! Apparently that little clicky thing when you connect the cable does mean something.

And Les still has to fetch his own coffee...

You're lucky Alan. My guitar parts, unfortunately, sound much better when you can't hear them. :iamconfused:

Last edited:
And Les still has to fetch his own coffee...

Well, there's that - - I also have to clean the John...

I can't tell you how many times I find an issue, like "hmmm, no audio..." and it turns out to be that my mic is actually plugged into the wrong input jack on my floor box.

When I was still using only hardware, I had a 496 input patch bay. You can't imagine how often I puzzled over that!

Last edited:
My bay only has 24. I have a printed cheat sheet above it. The problem is that the printed blocks don't line up with the jacks (I'm old, I needed a bigger font - and need a still bigger one!), so occasionally I plug into the wrong spot.

Yesterday, with my daughter, I had to plus a second set of headphones in. Couldn't get any sound out of them. Sometime after the first session (there was a Doctor Who intermission), it occurred to me that maybe there was a setting in the software for the MBox. Sure enough, the headphone B jack was getting a different output feed.

Sometimes I wish I'd never started down this road...

Back