This is what I get for drinking the Cool-aid

After doing some searching last night for a few hours I have a question. Did PRS ever put the bird inlays on the older CE's?

One of the charms of the old CEs is that most of them had moon inlays. With almost everything coming from the factory with birds. the moons can be a nice addition to the mix.

redspot.jpg

Yes, but rarely as far as I know.

They must be very rare. I searched three different major used guitar sites and didn't see a single one. I kind of like the older CE's to the new ones but really wanted those bird inlays since all my other guitars have moons and this been my first PRS. But at the end of the day it just looks I guess.

They must be very rare. I searched three different major used guitar sites and didn't see a single one. I kind of like the older CE's to the new ones but really wanted those bird inlays since all my other guitars have moons and this been my first PRS. But at the end of the day it just looks I guess.

The CE generally had dot inlay, a round disc of abalone (maybe mother of pearl some years?). Moons have a crescent of mother of pearl with the rest of the circle filled with abalone, and seem to have been reserved for set neck models.

The ones with birds are unicorns, so it may take a while to find one for sale. With the reissue of the CE 24, it makes it difficult to find examples with birds. It's a bit easier to find pics the CE 22.

The original CE was a more cosmetically plain guitar (by PRS standards) by design, so you don't generally have the fancy tops and birds on them. They did do a three-piece 10 top at one point, though.

The CE generally had dot inlay, a round disc of abalone (maybe mother of pearl some years?). Moons have a crescent of mother of pearl with the rest of the circle filled with abalone, and seem to have been reserved for set neck models.

Thank you, I was just typing this up.

Thanks for the info Garrett. I always thought the moon inlays was just another name for dots. Well back to the search.:)

Hate to bring up an old thread but just want to give an end to it. After a few weeks of searching, some haggling and a little crying. I finally found the one. I will soon be the proud owner of a 2005 Custom 22 20th anniversary with the anniversary bird inlays and the color is vintage natural. As soon as I get her I'll get some pictures and do NGD thread. Thanks again everyone for the help.

Last edited:
Hate to bring up an old thread but just want to give an end to it. After a few weeks of searching, some haggling and a little crying. I finally found the one. I will soon be the proud owner of a 2005 Custom 22 20th anniversary with the anniversary bird inlays and the color is vintage natural. As soon as I get her I'll get some pictures and do NGD thread. Thanks again everyone for the help.

Aw yeah!

Thanks guys, really can't wait for the weekend when it gets here. On a side note the only thing I could find wrong with this guitar was ( and I'm not 100% sure) it's missing one slotted thumb screw for the low E tuning peg. Just wondering if anyone has an extra they will sell so I don't have to buy a whole pack of 6?

We'll I'm kinda bummed. Wheat to pick up the custom 22 today only to find out that even though I was told it was in great condition, it was not. It needed some new frets and the back looked like a Rottweiler chewed on it. Luckily I was able to reject it and get my money back. Oh well back to the search.:)

We'll I'm kinda bummed. Wheat to pick up the custom 22 today only to find out that even though I was told it was in great condition, it was not. It needed some new frets and the back looked like a Rottweiler chewed on it. Luckily I was able to reject it and get my money back. Oh well back to the search.:)

I hate situations like that. "It would be mint if it wasn't for the neck being snapped in two and the saw marks".

The core CE is the most amazing deal out there. I've had my CE24 for about five years and just recently fell in love with it all over again when I put a Pearly Gates bridge pickup in it. I did not like clean tones on the HFS too much, but now I'm in heaven. It's such a well built guitar that I could never part with it.

However, an S2 Custom 24 just sold locally for $600, and that's a tough deal to beat.

Keep up the search. Something will pop up...again...and again...and again...

Keep up the search. Something will pop up...again...and again...and again...

Well it didn't take me too long. I had a few that I had been watching on the verb and after making a few offers I finally got one. A 1996 Custom 22 10 top in vintage yellow. It looks to be in amazing condition for a 21 year old guitar with the only major issue being the serial # starting to fade but since it has the tags, if it really bothers me I figure I can take another trip to the factory :)and see if I could get it re numbered. This one had everything I was looking for with the exception of a trem but the more I thought about it in the 14 years that I owned a Strat the trem bar was in the case for 14 years. It's kinda funny how things come around. The very first time I every heard of and played a PRS was a Custom in the mid 90's. I was 17 or so and dreaming about one day owning a LP standard when the guy at the shop said if it were me I would spend my money on this and handed me a yellow PRS Custom. I remember thinking how much better that thing played over that LP but both were out of my price range. And now at 40 years young here I am buying pretty much that same guitar. It's kinda of like haven that poster of a Ferrari on your wall as a kid and many years later it's in your garage. In case anyone can't already tell I'm so excited about this one, I hope it's all good this time;)

Last edited:
Back