This is what I get for drinking the Cool-aid

Imgettingcloser

So if you have been on the PSF thread you my have read that I got to go to the PRS factory a few weeks ago and while there I went and drank from their Cool-aid dispenser:
IMG_1226_zpseueyydyu.jpg

So now I'm ready to trade in my 2001 US Strat and my 05 Gibson LP studio to get a used US PRS. Hopefully I find something soon to cure this GAS. I'll update when it's NGD.

Sorry, you won't.
Your first core will drive you to get a second one, and you'll notice that a third one will be a must have for other styles... And so your collection will start to grow.

This ain't no lie! :p

Well at least I have something else to look forward too. I mean who really needs to be able to retire anyway.:)

So I've been looking around the used market and it looks as for my price rang it's going to either be a SCT, McCarty or CE24. I'm kinda leaning towards the CE. Seems to be very versatile. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the older version and the new one?

First of all, the pick ups have changed. The new body is slightly thinner and has a slightly different carve. The older models have a USA trem, and the newer ones have the overseas trem, which simply sounds different. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. THe neck shape can be different as well. The older have a one piece neck, the newer a 2 piece, I believe. I have an older CE 24 which is a fine guitar, and an S2 which is a fine guitar. Let your ears do the picking. Sometimes, you pick up a guitar, and it just has the sound and feel you want. That`s the way to do it.

I came to the message boards with a CE and an SE lookin' for a cheap rotary switch, and thought the amount of PRS's these dudes had was an unattainable dream. 6-7 years later I'm taking delivery of my 10th PRS ;).

My advice: Get a used CE or McCarty, and then meet some of the rad guys on the PRS forum(s) crew. It's a long game, meaning you just gotta keep socking some cash away and be patient. Eventually someone will get GAS for something else and let something go at a great price so you just need to be prepared to swoop in on it, and the market at the moment is incredibly soft. There are incredible deals to be had if you waste 2-3 hours a day on guitar forums, for sale sites, and hanging out. Plus, the peer pressure can really help. All it takes is for somebody to dare you to get that next guitar.

"You can get everything in life you want, as long as you're prepared to wait long enough for it." -Sergio de Blanc

I came to the message boards with a CE and an SE lookin' for a cheap rotary switch, and thought the amount of PRS's these dudes had was an unattainable dream. 6-7 years later I'm taking delivery of my 10th PRS ;).

My advice: Get a used CE or McCarty, and then meet some of the rad guys on the PRS forum(s) crew. It's a long game, meaning you just gotta keep socking some cash away and be patient. Eventually someone will get GAS for something else and let something go at a great price so you just need to be prepared to swoop in on it, and the market at the moment is incredibly soft. There are incredible deals to be had if you waste 2-3 hours a day on guitar forums, for sale sites, and hanging out. Plus, the peer pressure can really help. All it takes is for somebody to dare you to get that next guitar.

"You can get everything in life you want, as long as you're prepared to wait long enough for it." -Sergio de Blanc

What this dude says! Pay attention, he speaks wisely.

That is good advice. The CE and McCarty are my top picks with the McCarty being number one. Just got to find that right one. Should I get BLUE Sergio???;)

Sorry, you won't.
Your first core will drive you to get a second one, and you'll notice that a third one will be a must have for other styles... And so your collection will start to grow.
100% true I have two right now and I'm aiming high although I haven't saved much but somehow the third one will materialize:D

That is good advice. The CE and McCarty are my top picks with the McCarty being number one. Just got to find that right one. Should I get BLUE Sergio???;)

Yeah man! The original McCarty is a great model. I was seriously considering picking one up a couple years ago until I took an interest in guitars with four knobs.

I have a sneaky suspicion that a lot of the people on here that dare others to get another PRS are divorce attorneys...Just saying.:)

Not my case! In fact, I made a deal with a marriage counselor in June to improve my marriage. He said that buying my wife a diamond I could buy a 594 for me. What was the counselor name? Paul... something, IIRC

Owning both a pair of older CE's and a McCarty, either way you go you will be very pleased! Very different animals in many regards but when you pick either model up you know that you have a PRS in your hands. Both can cover similar ground ground (especially the solid mahogany '06 and the McCarty), but they can each do very different and special things as well.

Btw, my journey into PRS land started with a $110 beat to hell SE Singlecut that my buddy found for me on Craiglist. Sight unseen, I told him to grab it. Sad state that it seemed to be in, I played it at rehearsal that same night and I've never looked back. That was 5 years ago and all of my non-PRS guitars have been sold (along with 5 other SEs) to leave me with the 6 PRSi that I have today. 4 Cores and 2 SEs....and I dig them all.

Welcome to the addiction man!!

Back