This is what crazy wood collectors do.

11top

Cousin Eddie's cousin
I was digging out a case for a guitar I just sold (and yeah, I know “sold” is a four letter word), and I came across this:

Years ago, I was in Puerto Vallarta, and a wood carver came up to me on the beach. He wanted to sell me a carving, and after our communication struggles, I finally was able to explain I wanted a cocobolo log, not a carving. He found me the next day on the beach with this log with a bit cut out and polished. To explain how long ago this was, I was allowed to carry that on the plane. o_O That’s roughly 9-10” in diameter.

Last edited:
I was digging out a case for a guitar I just sold (and yeah, I know sold is a four letter word), and I came across this:

Years ago, I was in Puerto Vallarta, and a wood carver came up to me on the beach. He wanted to sell me a carving, and after our communication struggles, I finally was able to explain I wanted a cocobolo log, not a carving. He found me the next day on the beach with this log with a bit cut out and polished. To explain how long ago this was, I was allowed to carry that on the plane. o_O That’s roughly 9” in diameter.

Wow!

I was digging out a case for a guitar I just sold (and yeah, I know sold is a four letter word), and I came across this:

Years ago, I was in Puerto Vallarta, and a wood carver came up to me on the beach. He wanted to sell me a carving, and after our communication struggles, I finally was able to explain I wanted a cocobolo log, not a carving. He found me the next day on the beach with this log with a bit cut out and polished. To explain how long ago this was, I was allowed to carry that on the plane. o_O That’s roughly 9-10” in diameter.

You didn’t bring the knives or the rifle on the plane too...did you?

You didn’t bring the knives or the rifle on the plane too...did you?

That’s so ironic you’d ask that. My wife and I were members of a flying club called Ambassadair out of Indy. I flew to Mexico with a serrated folding knife in my pocket and no one cared back then......or so I thought. :rolleyes: On the return trip, they made me hand it over to the commercial airline pilot!!! :confused::eek:, and he came out of the cockpit and handed it to me when we landed. True story. How times have changed.

Oh, and of course I threw a fit when they made me give it up. I embarrassed my poor wife.

I remember when Ambassadair became American Trans Air (ATA). Now gone, like so many others. I worked in the industry and remember flying to Louisville, renting a car, buying a 65 Deluxe Reverb, and bringing it home in a DC-9 overheard compartment. I still have it. Then there was the time I brought a Hiwatt 4x12 home in the belly from a layover.... Not any more.

We were altogether less dumb and scared in those days.

But if you sold, somebody bought and that means there's a "bangin'!" out there somewhere! We're all waiting to see those pics!

I would like to see what that ends up becoming.
Once I finish up my "Quarantine Maloof Rocker", I have plans for a moderately large 3D wood sculpture. I am sure that cocobolo would push the cost a bit higher than my comfort zone. Usually, I use cocobolo, zebrawood, ebony and the like for much smaller projects, like woodturning. Maybe I will have to stick to walnut.....But I really need to use up some of my own "collection" first.....

Ah, the good old days of air travel......Once upon a time it was easy to just carry on a full sized guitar, hsc and all. And more than once I would buy a second (even an archtop) and carry them both on for the flight home. No more......

That chunk o' cocobolo makes me feel all funny in the nether regions....

When I moved across the Country two years ago, I gave up a good bit of my stash. But, my wife is convinced I still have a problem. I still have some Maple that's over fifteen years old, some walnut of the same vintage, and some koa I grabbed in Hawaii about 13 years ago.

Although the best bits are the SYP cut down in 1855.... Like this piece:

zHj7OCA.jpg

Back