This is probably very subjective, thoughts?

I take full responsibility for buying before trying.... And, not ragging on the guitar at all. I can still send it back to Sweetwater.

Oh, well you're in good shape, then. They're good about returns (I've returned some recording gear to them in the past).

Meantime, give the guitar a shot for a few days if you can; it might be the kind of tone that kind of creeps up on your subconscious.

I find these pickups sound best with a clean to slightly overdriven amp. Not sure what kind of tones you like, of course.

Oh, well you're in good shape, then. They're good about returns (I've returned some recording gear to them in the past).

Meantime, give the guitar a shot for a few days if you can; it might be the kind of tone that kind of creeps up on your subconscious.

I find these pickups sound best with a clean to slightly overdriven amp. Not sure what kind of tones you like, of course.

Thank you.... I'll give it a few more days. I don't really use pedals... I'll take your advice and give it a run!

Just my $.02 since I have a Paul's and think it's the best production guitar PRS is making right now.

(I haven't read all the posts in this thread so I apologize if any of this is a repeat.)
I really like the tone of my Paul's. To my ears the pups have the bite and warmth of the 5x/0x pups but with a bit more clarity and focus. I recall Paul stating the 408 pups were based off of the 5708's so it makes sense they would have some of the same characteristics. Again, as stated by Paul, his band had increased in size and his guitar was drowning in the mix so the goal of this guitar was to cut through a dense mix better.

I will admit the coil tapped tones don't sound very different from untapped but there's enough of a difference that it's another tonal option. I do really like the 408 wiring much better than having a push pull pot for tapping.

I talk with no real knowledge because, despite I do own a Paul's, that's the only PRS I own so it's possible I would prefer any of the others as well.
I think though that single coil/hb difference is much more noticeable with some amp settings and I think also some volume/tone settings. With some settings instead it is very very subtle. Sure it's not dramatic and it could have been better, but I love it and I use it all the time.
Also, I feel the sound of it to be always very rewarding and "alive" (also, it seems to me very dynamic) so it's surprising that you find it flat. Of course this is just my feeling which, as said, are not based on a significant experience.

The 408 is a very different pickup set ( to my ear ) it is very EQ flat ( to my ear ) and on a scope.
I REALLY like mine but part of what I like is the big output of the bridge 408 pickup and how cool it sounds when split.
my 408 is my go to first jam guitar as it does everything well ( like my new to me 513 )
If I want it to sound more conventional I just add a bit of mids and sometimes a bit of low end.

I really dig my PGs. I have a regular production stoptail, and a PS trem. The narrow 408 in the bridge is definitely less aggressive / a bit more vocal than the wider 408 in the bridge, which sounds huge with gain. The 408 split in the neck position is one of my favorite PRS tones. But if it doesn't work for you, send it back...

Back