This is pretty cool: Vernon Reid Signature S2 VR Vela

ooh... coolness...

I'm a fan of Vernon Reid and I'd buy one of these in gold if it's priced right; I don't have any guitars with a Floyd Rose right now, so I can justify it... right?

s2_vr_vela_2017_photo5.jpg

I'd be curious to know what the fretboard radius is... Floyds are pretty flat as a rule; I have lots of shims around here from the old days, and if that's a 10" radius fretboard, I'm gonna need 'em...

They should ship every guitar with a plain black Vela pickguard in the gigbag and a challenge to create your own design for it à la Vernon's...

Just saw the MAP on sweetwater. I know we aren't allowed to discuss specific pricing. But, I don't think I am breaking the rules by saying its more expensive than a CE. I'm not going to slam PRS. Small manufacturer and the artist has to get a cut. But, there are just way better values for that type of guitar in the price range. Disappointing for sure. I'll be passing.

No one really knows who the heck Vernon Reid is anymore and his playing doesn't inspire purchases of specific guitars. That being said, I think PRS could have done this as just a 2 humbucker vela with a Floyd and been able to sell it cheaper, minus the artist cut.

Just saw the MAP on sweetwater. I know we aren't allowed to discuss specific pricing. But, I don't think I am breaking the rules by saying its more expensive than a CE. I'm not going to slam PRS. Small manufacturer and the artist has to get a cut. But, there are just way better values for that type of guitar in the price range. Disappointing for sure. I'll be passing.

No one really knows who the heck Vernon Reid is anymore and his playing doesn't inspire purchases of specific guitars. That being said, I think PRS could have done this as just a 2 humbucker vela with a Floyd and been able to sell it cheaper, minus the artist cut.

In fairness,

- Not a standard S2 neck
- Not a standard preloaded pick guard (3 way switch deleted, 5 way added, humbucker route added, graphics added)
- Core pickups
- Pro series Floyd

I see where you're coming from, but I see where PRS is coming from.

Last edited:
I've always said that perspective is 90% of reality. (Some call me a genius. But I pay them well).

Make no mistake. This is an S2. This is a very customized S2. Practically a new guitar, with the different route, core pickups, custom pickguard, Floyd, Floyd routing, etc. Play it before you decide it's priced wrong. I think it has huge potential.

And if you aren't in to his playing... Look, when this guy did the solo to Cult of Personality, there were "second coming of Hendrix" comments about him. He is a total badass player with style, soul, funk and grove most will never even touch. Sorry Drew, to quote Dave Mason, "we just disagree."

Look, when this guy did the solo to Cult of Personality, there were "second coming of Hendrix" comments about him...

...from the people who never heard of Bad Brains. :p

I'm sure it's a nice guitar. Not everybody likes the same sh!t as I do. I hope they sell a pile of them.

I love it personally. Guitars with colorful graphics are a total guilty pleasure of mine.

Sooooooo close to experiencing GAS again. I need a trem, but if I'm getting a Vela I want the original neck PU.

It's never just simple.... Lol.

Last edited:
Umm...it has locking tuners, so it's easier to restring than non-locking (IMHO) - but why would USA tuners make a big diff when it has a Floyd locking-nut anyway?!?

I like the looks of the open backed tuners. At the price point, wish it was closer to Core construction.

Meh. I love VR's playing, but I kinda hate Floyd Rose trems, and never "got" the HFS pickup, although I'm curious enough to want to hear what it sounds like in this guitar in both positions.

Interesting that several of my idols prefer the Floyd Rose trem (Neal Schon being another one), but they can afford not to tech their own guitars.

And not sure why he'd get rid of the D-type singlecoil. Isn't that one of the selling points of the Vela?

Last edited:
Nice guitar, not for me. As far as VR goes, I really like his playing especially live. I sa them in the late 80's and it was like being kicked in the gonads as compared to the music of the time.

Back