This is pretty cool: Vernon Reid Signature S2 VR Vela

Wow... they are actually offering these!
Very interesting... that will bring a whole other crowd to the Vela model... nice!

even I might look for one of these down the road... replace the p/g and have a sweet variation...:cool:

Pretty bada$$.

I never thought the hex pickup would make it to production, but kinda expected the EMGs.

It's got a bit of the vibe of HIDE's old sig model (X-Japan), which I always dug.

1359381563.jpg

Sounds cool the HFS splits really well , so when split it would be about the same output as a normal neck bucker ( 7-8 K )
I would love to hear a full output HFS in the neck position :) pushing the S^&T out of the clean channel of a great amp

With all those effects and gain and a floyd rose, tone is about dead last on the design priority check list.

my two cents.

I have to laugh at this. I'm no fan of Vernon Reids tone. I really don't think he has tone, now that you mention it. But, some of the best tones ever put the record were with floyds, high gain, effects, 9 Ga strings, and any other number of things that make a lot of you guys go running to mommy. Go tell Eddie Van Halen that his tone sucks, or Steve Vai, or Satch, or Alex Lifeson, or Petrucci, or whoever. I guess the key to making millions in music is crappy tone, because any one of those guys has more money than most of us can ever dream of having.

I like it. Would definitely try one when I see it and consider a purchase. Would like to know for sure what the pickups are. He said "like" which leaves some wiggle room. Heck, these could be \M/ pickups! I which case my interest would go up even more very quickly!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it. Would definitely try one when I see it and consider a purchase. Would like to know for sure what the pickups are. He said "like" which leaves some wiggle room. Heck, these could be \M/ picksup! I which case my interest would go up even more very quickly!
From the website link above...

"The S2 VR Vela was developed with Living Colour founder, Vernon Reid. Initially attracted by the Vela’s offset body shape, Vernon took this guitar to another level through a unique set of appointments. Loaded with two HFS pickups, the S2 VR Vela has an aggressive sound with clear highs and strong mids and bass."

Ok, the specs didn't show any pickups. Note to self: Always read EVERYTHING before you comment. LOL

One thing though that I've seen is a lot of old Mesa users love the HFS and say they mate well with both Recto and Mark amps. He used Mesa for years (not sure what he's using now) so it's not surprising that he likes those pickups.

But hey, \M/s would fit! ;)

Side note: Seeing that employee demo, I think they slipped Les in there for some of those Whammy bar tricks. I think Les has tried to throw us off in the past, saying he doesn't like Floyds and all. But I'd swear that one while part was him! Can't wait for the old guys metal album after seeing this!

Back