This has just fell out of the sound hole of my SE Angelus

DarrenJ1973

don't want to be a member
I'm certain that it has only come from the guitar as when not in use it is kept in it's case which is kept closed. It's some kind of soft rubber it's half a cylinder in shape and 7mm long.
Don't know what a piece of rubber would be doing in a acoustic but is it important or what's it's function?

It's been rattling round in there since I got the guitar the only other thing I can think of is it's something that has got in there when it was at the store.

P1000736_zps73054dd3.jpg

P1000737_zps6ba660f8.jpg

Ok I'm officially a dumbass, I've found where it has come from, it's a protective rubber that is on the clip to my clip on tuner, it must of fallen off and into the sound hole when I was putting it away on the 1st day I got it.....sorry waste of a thread.

Last edited:
I can tell you from experience that little kids love to drop objects inside of them though!

This reminds me of when my kids were toddlers.

I'd find small objects in cassette machine tape wells, VCRs, guitars, toilets, heating vents, etc.

I had a subwoofer that I thought had died, it sounded like the cone was somehow torn or the rubber surround had perished. I pulled it apart one day only to find 2 x toy cars and 4 x tea candles in there. Some friends kid had stuck them inside the woofer port!

Not a waste of thread at all, anyone else found weird objects in places they didn't expect (keep it clean please!)?

I once found a train-tracked penny in an Ibanez acoustic case. I was in a store looking around, there was a new shipping carton there that they were about to open. I offered to help, we got the case out, the salesman took the guitar to check the tuning and all, and I was checking out the case. Down beside the compartment I saw the light hit something, so I felt there, and it was a flattened penny. I still have it somewhere.

Goldtop

You can't just say, "guess what just fell out of my sound hole?" to anyone. :rolleyes: Good thing we're all friends! :D

Glad you fingered it out.

I had a subwoofer that I thought had died, it sounded like the cone was somehow torn or the rubber surround had perished. I pulled it apart one day only to find 2 x toy cars and 4 x tea candles in there. Some friends kid had stuck them inside the woofer port!

Not a waste of thread at all, anyone else found weird objects in places they didn't expect (keep it clean please!)?

Yeah I just feel stupid that I started a thread about something which I solved withn 5 minutes of starting....it took longer to get the pics in focus

Our youngest cat likes to play with little (2") stuffed cloth 'mice'. She likes to hide them from herself so she can reach into something or around a corner to get them. We find them in the trash cans, in our shoes, in boxes, in bowls, in the plants, under low furniture... She will also play fetch with them and bring them back to you.

Last night we went to a restaurant with friends for dinner for St. Patty's Day. My back was a little sore from painting, so my sweetie offered me some Advil. Reaching in her purse, searching for her little emergency pill box, the first thing she pulled out was a little cat toy mouse....

much like this one
cat_toy_mouse.jpg

Last edited:
And here I was, ready to say it was the cap from the mojo resevoir!

True story.

A couple of years ago, my youngest son bought a used acoustic at a pawn shop in his college town. It was some cheap thing that looked cool and had that Johnny Cash vibe. When he brought it back home at break, we restrung it and did a "setup" (as much as we could) on it. While I was doing a general inspection, he mentioned that it smelled a little funky at times - not always - but sounded pretty good. We grabbed a flashlight and looked a little deeper. Way down in the bottom, against the top was something...something foreign...some glob of, well, something brownish and lumpy. With a quick rap on the top with my knuckles, a chunk of this blob (now solid) broke loose. While I'm not a forensic anthropologist, you only need a little college and rock-n-roll experience to recognize solidified VOMIT. And worse...it had dead maggots in it! Yes, DEAD MAGGOTS...dead maggot-infested dried vomit inside this used acoustic guitar. :eek: I turned to my son, raised my arm with horns extended and shouted, "rock and freakin' roll, baby!!":rock:

True story.

A couple of years ago, my youngest son bought a used acoustic at a pawn shop in his college town. It was some cheap thing that looked cool and had that Johnny Cash vibe. When he brought it back home at break, we restrung it and did a "setup" (as much as we could) on it. While I was doing a general inspection, he mentioned that it smelled a little funky at times - not always - but sounded pretty good. We grabbed
discount led flashlights and looked a little deeper. Way down in the bottom, against the top was something...something foreign...some glob of, well, something brownish and lumpy. With a quick rap on the top with my knuckles, a chunk of this blob (now solid) broke loose. While I'm not a forensic anthropologist, you only need a little college and rock-n-roll experience to recognize solidified VOMIT. And worse...it had dead maggots in it! Yes, DEAD MAGGOTS...dead maggot-infested dried vomit inside this used acoustic guitar. :eek: I turned to my son, raised my arm with horns extended and shouted, "rock and freakin' roll, baby!!
":rock:

Very nice work done by your younger son. Can you ask him to get a used acoustic for me. We can make a good deal. Waiting for reply and thanks in advance:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not nearly as...entertaining (?!?!?!) as the previous story, it I had a decent acoustic that went everywhere with me in college. Climbing trips, ski/snowboard trips, canoeing, etc. we were sitting around a campfire one night--burning a really fragrant cedar stump that had a lot of sap. So every 30 seconds or so, a sap pocket would pop and embers would fly. A particularly large pop accompanied a huge spray of embers. We all jumped up and patted down our clothes, hair, etc. I though I saw one ember fly into my guitar, but could find it.

Two years later, we were playing a gig at a coffee shop and I got a little rambunctious with the guitar. A piece of fully burnt coal the size of a bridge end pin fell out and landed on my pedal board. Turns out that ember DID land a perfect shot into the sound hole, and burned itself into the underside of the top. I'm just glad it cooled quickly enough not to light the whole thing up.

Back