This Ain't Fake News

(first part of my post is is at the bottom of previous page)

I forgot to mention. The influences and greats were playing to an older crowd. An older crowd that overlooked the awkwardness of what was being played because it was so good. You have to remember also the greats were no spring chickens either. They were doing it for so long it caught on. Some younger folks would go and listen, but they were uncomfortable by the older crowd that was with them. Enter Hendrix and the Beatles with their young an very young fans that blew the doors off for them. My parents would go see Guitar Slim ( a part time New Orleans Boy) often. The racial tensions and the new sounding music made it awkward. The young kids did not care. I wont give them complete moral credit as they had their own routes of debauchery going on. They released the flood gates is all. Guitar Slims son, Rodney Guitar Slim Jr. (Check him out) . He plays as good if not better than his dad. I understand Clapton knows him. I would see Rodney walking down Airline Hwy with a Les Paul or Strat (depending on the day) playing through a battery powered amp clipped to his belt, trying to make a buck. When I grew older, I talked to him about how he got the little amp to sound good. He said a friend of his in the hood tinkered with it. That man can play. Lost track of him after Katrina.

And then there's Sister Rosetta Tharpe, at the front of the front of the train, influencing the likes of Elvis and Jimi Hendrix. She started playing at 6 years old in her mother's church. Went on to play as an adult in her first husband's church, before busting out. She went secular, which upset her religious fans, but she walked that line. She was probably one of the first musicians to have a tour bus with her name and picture on the side. Got married to her third husband in a ball park and sold 25,000 tickets just for that. Played until she died. But by the time people like Elvis were going to the black churches to look for "that special something" that their music needed -- heart and soul -- she had already been putting it out there for over 10 years.

(first part of my post is is at the bottom of previous page)

I forgot to mention. The influences and greats were playing to an older crowd. An older crowd that overlooked the awkwardness of what was being played because it was so good. You have to remember also the greats were no spring chickens either. They were doing it for so long it caught on. Some younger folks would go and listen, but they were uncomfortable by the older crowd that was with them. Enter Hendrix and the Beatles with their young an very young fans that blew the doors off for them. My parents would go see Guitar Slim ( a part time New Orleans Boy) often. The racial tensions and the new sounding music made it awkward. The young kids did not care. I wont give them complete moral credit as they had their own routes of debauchery going on. They released the flood gates is all. Guitar Slims son, Rodney Guitar Slim Jr. (Check him out) . He plays as good if not better than his dad. I understand Clapton knows him. I would see Rodney walking down Airline Hwy with a Les Paul or Strat (depending on the day) playing through a battery powered amp clipped to his belt, trying to make a buck. When I grew older, I talked to him about how he got the little amp to sound good. He said a friend of his in the hood tinkered with it. That man can play. Lost track of him after Katrina.

Sorry. I have no idea what your talking about.

Not so much!

You say influences. I take that to mean the effect the artist had and all that followed. Yes?

If that is true, you are choosing to start near the front of the train, but not the very front!

At the front is T Bone Walker, Johnny Lightning Hopkins and Eddie "Guitar slim". All three were using distortion. notably Hopkins and Guitar slim. Slim played with his teeth, and I could go on an and on abouth the virtuoso and trend setting guitar techniques they employed. Mostly from amps they or someone they knew modified to get the tones that were never heard before. SO, greatest guitarist and what followed them. That would be these three. Hendrix attributes his style and techniques and study from these three!!!!! That is influence and greatness. Those three did not draw the press and attention Hendrix did and they are still remembered. Again, Greatness! Hendrix played to a younger crowd and played a righty guitar upside down and left handed. That is where he joins the train. A few engines back from Slim, Hopkins and Walker.

The Beatles! Again took it to another level. But not at the front of the train. That would go to Chuck Berry and Elvis. They were the trendsetters with the risque moves and lyrics that set rock and roll in motion. Lennon said himself that it was Berry and Elvis and their great show that gave the Beatles the courage to go or it. Did they take it to another level. Yes. But the influence and greatness starts a little further up front. Hendrix and the Beatles drew a younger crowd that grew. The innovators and the do'ers of what has not been done before is and was T Bone Walker, Lightning Hopkins, Guitar Slim, Chuck Berry and Elvis. Oh yeah, I am sure there is more. But Hendrix and the Beatles admit themselves who was in front of them. So if these men I mentioned are before Hendrix and the Beatles, then that is greatness and influence. YMMV!!!

Dude, this ain't news to me, I know all this stuff and I appreciate it and can't argue with your musical analysis, but my comments/opinion aren't about music.
One of the things that you have to respect from the British bands of the time is that they gave full credit to their influences.
It's America that never gave them their due.
If you really want to see where RnR came from, check out T Bone Walker, as Audie said.
It's all there. In fact, I believe Chuck Berry worked for T Bone and "interpreted" his music and attitude.
This is all fine, but everyone is missing the point. I just don't "get" the recalcitrance to the obvious about The Beatles.
All these negative comments are just "strawman" arguments. Sorry.

My point was, and still is, that the influence of The Beatles went far beyond music and defined the cultural norms of the sixties and early seventies.
They were the gatekeepers and when they hit, the gates opened wide.

Last edited:
Because I hate The Beatles. But we're still friends and we can always listen to VH in long car rides... as long as it's Dave era.

Bro'.
Hate is a strong word.
[Damn, they don't even have a decent "wink" in the emoticons].
Of course it's Dave, who else could it be?
[Well, only two, but who's counting]. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, should have kept to my own advice and not given my opinion. On that note the thread is all opinions. Not everyone is completely right or wrong. Therefore unfortunately, yes, it is Fake News.

Back