This Ain't Fake News

cool, not a problem.
present your counter argument(s).
:)

Okay,
1) The "greatest", "best" band, bar none, from any time is The Beatles.
They validated the past and enabled the future.
"Greatest" and "Best" are both completely subjective terms, particularly when applied so universally as to say "from any time".
The Beatles were certainly the most innovative of the early/mid '60s rock groups, and I will credit them (along with some credit to Brian Wilson/The Beach Boys) with paving the way and showing that truly creative music with few boundaries could still be commercially successful pop music.
However, I don't think too many people would honestly consider any of them "great" musicians. Three of them are excellent singers, Paul and George are very competent musicians. Much of their more ambitious material was only realized with considerable help from George Martin.
Don't get me wrong - I LOVE THE BEATLES!, but the only "Best" title I would give them is probably most innovative pop group.
I won't say who I think is better - that would just be my opinion.

2) The "greatest", "best" guitarist, bar none is Hendrix.
Really listen. Given the time (like almost fifty years ago), absolutely unimaginable how fabulous he is.
All three of my counter arguments are going to sound pretty similar. I think Hendrix is an awesome guitarist. I have the most respect for his rhythm playing, although he was heavily influenced by a number of others who came before him.
His lead style, attitude, and use of sound and effects were where he truly innovated. Technically, I consider him a decent lead guitarist at best, and several of his contemporaries along with countless guitarists since, are more skilled. Whether they would have accomplished as much or in the same way had Jimi not existed, we cannot know.
Once again, I won't say who I think is better - that would just be my opinion.

3) 2nd "greatest", despite many opinions to the contrary is EVH.
Just listen to what came before and after.
Another amazing guitarist who completely raised the bar for what rock guitar could sound like. Eddie is a true virtuoso, and the band Van Halen was a perfect vehicle for popularizing his flashy, technical style by combining it with radio friendly songs and a great image. The techniques he popularized, however, had already been used by guitarists in Prog rock and Fusion music (Eddie himself credits some of them). I am consistently blown away by Eddie's playing, tone and songwriting skills, but for me at least, there are quite a few players that I hold in higher regard and who have had a stronger influence on my admittedly humble playing and writing skills.

Have a wonderful day and keep up the fun posts - In case you didn't notice, I enjoy yanking your chain once in a while :)

can't agree. i'm talking about rock only and not about bands you like or not ... looking at influence and fame.

Like McDonald's burger's and smallpox, The Beatles most certainly win with the most number of people affected. But we all know Burger King is the king of burgers, only catching the clap after an encounter with a questionable partner will make you applaud, and Kool & the Gang is the koolest.

Those other things can keep the "best" and "greatest" titles.

I saw the Beatles in my local cinema way back in the early days and also in a place called Trentham Gardens (stoke on trent) to be honest it was a a time that is imprinted on my brain. what we were hearing was a total different kind of music. in later years I went to see Paul when he was on tour in birmingham UK to be honest it did not give me the same feeling, but at the end of the day we see new artists come and go and its always good to see change,,,,, mind you l am still stuck in the 60's grove lol
regards
allan (stoke on trent UK)

I figure if I like something because it's popular, then I should question that. If I hate something because it's popular, then I should question that, too.

My girlfriend's brother [RIP] was an avid Rolling Stones fan. Always talked about how they would wipe the floor with The Beatles. The last time he came over, I made him watch a 15-minute Beatles playlist on YouTube.

To me, his argument almost sounded like the "iPhone vs. Android" argument. Fans like what they like, and it's valid. As for "better than the other," I think that once you get above a certain bar, there's no denying the presence and power, love it or hate it.

I think they both have their strengths, their weakness, their points, and their place.

For me, I don't really like the early stuff by The Beatles, and prefer the stuff they came out with after they went to India to destroy their careers.

it would not be good if we all like the same,,, we all need to have our own likes and dislikes and as for me l respect other points of views
regards
allan. (in rainy stoke tonight)

All I can say, is that this isn't about whether you like them, think they are good musicians or any of that.
For me, it's about their influence, both musically and culturally.
Beatlemania was a "real thing." Nothing before or since has approached the madness of that phenomenon.
Elvis Presley did similar in the 50's, but it honestly paled to Beatlemania. I can't think of any other comparison.
Through the fifties, when rock first crept onto the scene, the culture was changing. Guys like Chuck Berry and Elvis Presley "set the scene."
But The Beatles were the "straw that broke the camel's back" and sent it spiraling out of control.
On February 9th, 1964, the world as it had been changed forever and the catalyst was The Beatles.
The first generation in history to seriously challenge the status quo or establishment was that of the sixties and The Beatles where the "breaking point."
Of course, they later turned into the insurance salesmen of the seventies, but that's another story.

Right - regarding influential bands, there will never be another Beatles. As IKnowALittle said, both musically and culturally there is no comparison. Much of their influence has to do with the times, lots of social change going on in the 1960's, some they helped promote, some they simply rode with the wave. Also, developments in recording technology that in some cases they invented (ex. automatic double tracking for vocals), and others they simply used to great effect. And all the '60's bands that influenced them helped push them musically - remember it was McCartney who recommended Hendrix for the Monterey Pop Festival after seeing him in a club. Think about it - less than three years between "I Want to Hold Your Hand" (10/63) and "Tomorrow Never Knows (8/66). Six months later we have "Strawberry Fields". The evolution of their music in a recording history that lasted less than six years is incomparable.

You don't have to like their music, but you have to respect their influence on pretty much every artist that came after them.

I would have loved to see Whitney my son just jot tickets to Shania Twain in Birmingham next year, think l had better buy him a cowboy hat lol

Because I hate The Beatles. But we're still friends and we can always listen to VH in long car rides... as long as it's Dave era.

Dave era is way cool, but you don't like 5150? I guess you have to be a "girl gets around" guy to appreciate the "king of partyin's" time with the band. Eruption live rocks....

All I can say, is that this isn't about whether you like them, think they are good musicians or any of that.
For me, it's about their influence, both musically and culturally.
Beatlemania was a "real thing." Nothing before or since has approached the madness of that phenomenon.
Elvis Presley did similar in the 50's, but it honestly paled to Beatlemania. I can't think of any other comparison.
Through the fifties, when rock first crept onto the scene, the culture was changing. Guys like Chuck Berry and Elvis Presley "set the scene."
But The Beatles were the "straw that broke the camel's back" and sent it spiraling out of control.
On February 9th, 1964, the world as it had been changed forever and the catalyst was The Beatles.
The first generation in history to seriously challenge the status quo or establishment was that of the sixties and The Beatles where the "breaking point."
Of course, they later turned into the insurance salesmen of the seventies, but that's another story.

Not so much!

You say influences. I take that to mean the effect the artist had and all that followed. Yes?

If that is true, you are choosing to start near the front of the train, but not the very front!

At the front is T Bone Walker, Johnny Lightning Hopkins and Eddie "Guitar slim". All three were using distortion. notably Hopkins and Guitar slim. Slim played with his teeth, and I could go on an and on abouth the virtuoso and trend setting guitar techniques they employed. Mostly from amps they or someone they knew modified to get the tones that were never heard before. SO, greatest guitarist and what followed them. That would be these three. Hendrix attributes his style and techniques and study from these three!!!!! That is influence and greatness. Those three did not draw the press and attention Hendrix did and they are still remembered. Again, Greatness! Hendrix played to a younger crowd and played a righty guitar upside down and left handed. That is where he joins the train. A few engines back from Slim, Hopkins and Walker.

The Beatles! Again took it to another level. But not at the front of the train. That would go to Chuck Berry and Elvis. They were the trendsetters with the risque moves and lyrics that set rock and roll in motion. Lennon said himself that it was Berry and Elvis and their great show that gave the Beatles the courage to go or it. Did they take it to another level. Yes. But the influence and greatness starts a little further up front. Hendrix and the Beatles drew a younger crowd that grew. The innovators and the do'ers of what has not been done before is and was T Bone Walker, Lightning Hopkins, Guitar Slim, Chuck Berry and Elvis. Oh yeah, I am sure there is more. But Hendrix and the Beatles admit themselves who was in front of them. So if these men I mentioned are before Hendrix and the Beatles, then that is greatness and influence. YMMV!!!

Back