This Ain't Fake News

IKnowALittle

Our band has been together for about 10 years now.
We know about 100 songs and when we gig, we mix and match a lot.

Tonite was a 60's gig. Now, I love the sixties and early seventies.
We played everything from "love me do", to "all along the watchtower" ... hendrix.

Also snuck in "Crazy Train" and "Eruption."

Here are two indomitable facts ...

1) The "greatest", "best" band, bar none, from any time is The Beatles.
They validated the past and enabled the future.

2) The "greatest", "best" guitarist, bar none is Hendrix.
Really listen. Given the time (like almost fifty years ago), absolutely unimaginable how fabulous he is.

3) 2nd "greatest", despite many opinions to the contrary is EVH.
Just listen to what came before and after.

JMO, but I really don't know how anyone could disagree.
:)

Now now...don't go throwing your opinions out there like they're the law:p

Hard to argue with you this time;)

I like your choices.

What's amazing about Hendrix when I listen is how natural and original his style was. I felt that way in 1967, and still do. Same with EVH, though I'm less into arena rock.

Beatles, take their body of work as songwriters, performers, and creators in the studio, and it's pretty amazing.

Gotta respect your choices, but there are just too many out there to say one is, or is not, the greatest. The music ocean is far too wide and deep to make it look like a small pond. Some would say the Nelson Riddle Orchestra was the best band and Andrés Segovia the best guitar player. Who's to say they are wrong?

I like all three of the artists from your two (3) indomitable facts. But I disagree with all three. JMO

I remember years ago, music magazines, guitar magazines, rock radio stations etc used the term "The Big 4." The polls for "greatest rock and roll band ever" would have The Beatles, The Who, The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. That was "the big 4." I wonder how that has changed over the years. Even then, I only really loved one of those 4 bands, and really didn't like one of them at all. I do think Zeppelin is one of the all time greatest bands. I really liked The Who. I "liked" the Beatles, but recognize their impact and what they meant to music. And I think the stones are a below average bar band who got wildly popular at probably the only time in history when they could have. Yeah, they had some really big hits, but... really. Sorry, just not a fan at all. LOL

Again, I wonder how that has changed. If you had a big like Rolling Stones or something at least national like that now to do a poll, who would be the top 4 now? One thing I know for sure. None of my top 5 would make the list. LOL

Agree with all 3, especially #1. #2 and #3 would be even more accurate if you add the word "innovative" in your description...

I agree completely on Hendrix & EVH, both cats revolutionized the role of guitar at their given time in the history of Rock. Two big turning points in the game.
...........I just like Zep over the Beatles when it comes to British bands. I'm not into the sentimental stuff.:cool:

Because I hate The Beatles. But we're still friends and we can always listen to VH in long car rides... as long as it's Dave era.

Has to be Dave, no question.
There are many, many legitimate opinions on who is the "greatest." Have to get beyond whether you like them or not.

Gotta respect your choices, but there are just too many out there to say one is, or is not, the greatest. The music ocean is far too wide and deep to make it look like a small pond. Some would say the Nelson Riddle Orchestra was the best band and Andrés Segovia the best guitar player. Who's to say they are wrong?

can't agree. i'm talking about rock only and not about bands you like or not ... looking at influence and fame.

Back