Thinking of buying core Mira

JLBoogie

I have owned several PRS guitars but never a Mira. Looking at a 2012 core Mira and was wondering when was the last year the core models were made before the S2 line, anyone know? This one has the phase 3 tuners and the square pickup bobbins and have not seen another for sale like it. Are these square pickups different then what earlier Mira's had in them or same except square? Any other differences that someone might know between say a 2008 model and this 2012?

Thanks for any help

Not sure on the year, square pickup bobbins(aka squabbins) and phase III sounds closer to 2012 to me. As for the pickups, yes they are more or less the same pickups. Squabbins are arched a hair to match the radius of the fretboard. I'd say they sound slightly clearer than the old school style pickups.

edit: I'd say the difference is pretty minimal, could maybe be made to sound similar by adjusting the pole pieces a little. I would say the guitar is likely 2010 or later. 59/09 pickups came out in 2009. They were first offered with the old school bobbins, and then later with the new square design.

Last edited:
I have an 08 with Phase II's, round bobbins (actually come to think of it my pups are Gunsher add-ons, haven't looked at the stock ones in awhile). If yours doesn't work out let me know, I'm thinking of selling mine. Near mint, vintage yellow maple top, moons, perfect case. Better yet, Canadian pesos ;)

I don't think the last year of the core Mira came with squabbins but I could be wrong. This would mean this one has aftermarket pups. Mine is a 2010 and they are/were old school (I put in 245's which are the same pup but covered). I think S2's came out in 2014. The 2013 price list has the Mira as a core guitar.

I don't think the last year of the core Mira came with squabbins but I could be wrong. This would mean this one has aftermarket pups. Mine is a 2010 and they are/were old school (I put in 245's which are the same pup but covered). I think S2's came out in 2014. The 2013 price list has the Mira as a core guitar.
The S2's came out in the Summer of 2013. They demonstrated the S2 production line during the 2013 Experience in September. I think they discontinued the core Miras and Starlas in spring/early summer 2013.

Bought it today and waiting for its arrival. I am pretty sure its all original and they were using the square bobbins and phase III tuners in 2012. My only real concern is weather or not I will like the pickups since I like a vintage sounding pickup with some personality and I have always found PRS pickups to be a clearer more neutral sounding. Anything special about changing out square bobbins pickups with traditional style I need to know? Any fit or size issues?

Bought it today and waiting for its arrival. I am pretty sure its all original and they were using the square bobbins and phase III tuners in 2012. My only real concern is weather or not I will like the pickups since I like a vintage sounding pickup with some personality and I have always found PRS pickups to be a clearer more neutral sounding. Anything special about changing out square bobbins pickups with traditional style I need to know? Any fit or size issues?
Congrats! The squabbins and the regulars swap out fine and can use the same rings.

My Mira arrived today and I am very happy with it. Better shape then the seller described which means it is in excellent shape really spotless. I own a S2 standard 22 already in the same vintage mahogany color. I can definitely tell a build quality difference between this core Mira and the S2. The V12 finish and wood difference shows and the phase III tuners look and work nicer. I even am liking the pickups right now. I was worried since I paid $850.00 which was more than I saw some others sell for, and wondered if I should just buy a new S2 Mira but glad I went this way. What did a 2012 core Mira originally sell for on average?

I would like to change the tuner buttons preferably to black but why do they cost so much directly from PRS? I can buy a good new set of tuners (non PRS) for what they charge for just buttons.

Back