Thinking about trying the SE Custom 24

surfmurder

I've been looking into buying a new guitar for a few months and have gone back and forth over various models between 600 and 900$, and I can't seem to make up my mind. I saw the PRS SE Custom 24 and decided to do some research on it and it sounds like a real good value for the price. I've heard nothing negative about it, and it's really caught my attention. My only problem is that I'm just not too sure how versatile it is for the kind of music I play and plan on playing. I know that kind of thing is purely subjective, and purely up to the person to decide, but I don't see the harm in asking for an opinion.

I play fairly clean to low gain "indie" music if you want to generalize it. The tone I usually go for is comparable to earlier modest mouse and built to spill. My problem now is that I'm using a Fender 60th MiM Telecaster, and as it sounds great, just really doesn't cut through too well. I feel as if the tone is suppressed somehow and I'd really like to break the mold.

The only reason I ask is because most video reviews I've seen are pretty shreddy, and very rock n' roll oriented, which is fine, but I always have a hard time comparing the tone this way just because I do not play that way.

Any help is appreciated, and if you had other ideas in mind for my price range feel free to suggest anything.

Have you given any thought to some of the other model options? If you're coming from a Tele, the SE CU24 is quite the departure.

I'm not trying to steer you away from your dreams but I can't imagine a humbucker "Cutting" more than a single coil.

Are you expressly interested in a 24-fret guitar? If not, the Korina SE One is a fantastic guitar and it might get you closer to where you want to be.

I'm just not much into how the Korina looks to be completely honest with you. I've never played one so that is a completely different story.

I've actually been researching a lot today and i've been looking into just about every model I can find and as far as aesthetics go I'm really into the look of the 2012 SE custom semi hollow models. I do plan on actually going out and finding a dealer to sit down with, but until then I'm just looking for opinions.

As far as departing from the tele sound, that's perfectly fine. That tele was my first real guitar and I'd love to own a guitar that is tonally different opposed to a close offshoot.

What is the rest of your setup? Amp? Effects, Settings, etc...

If you can't cut with a Tele you wont with the SE C24. Don't get me wrong, it's a great guitar and highly versatile, but i'd be worried you'd spend a lot of cash only to find you have the same issue or worse.

Perhaps this is am issue with your rig as a whole or something a bit funky with the guitar / pups.

The Starla is the most "indie rock" of all PRS guitars, I think you could find one used in the top end of your price limit.

As far as my rig goes I'm running a 5150 I got used from this guy my drummer knows, through a 4x12 orange I got used as well. Separately I have an Egnater 40w tweaker head. I'm looking to get a new head soon, or maybe a nice tube combo, but that's something I've been shopping around for the past few months.

That Starla is super pretty too, especially in a natural color. I'll do some searching about to see what kind of deals I can find.

PS; feel free to make any recommendations on any aspect of gear.

Last edited:
Back