Thinking about an S2 Custom

IceTre

I bought an SE Custom semi-hollowbody for myself last Christmas, and I love it, except the neck is a little too thin for me. So I've been looking at the S2 models, because they have a "pattern regular" neck, which I assum is thicker. But they also have the 85/15 pickups and coil tapping which I love. Anybody here want to push me off the cliff? Or pull me back?

My first preference is for the Whale Blue, since blue is my favorite color. But the Moss Green looks very beautiful to me, and it's different.

I'll contribute a gentle nudge towards that cliff.
Blue S2 semi hollows are nice.
Go buy one.

foNAs5l.png

Specs are here - https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/model/s2_custom_24_2020

From that you can see that it has 85/15S pickups and a coil tap/split (I can never remember which).

Pattern Regular is a bit thicker, but slightly narrower at the nut. This means that the string spacing is a little closer together. I felt it initially, but got used to it pretty quickly. It also never really affected my playing as the difference in spacing is quite small. If I had to choose a favorite neck profile right now, it would either be Pattern Regular or DGT.

Buy one - you won’t regret it!

I bought an SE Custom semi-hollowbody for myself last Christmas, and I love it, except the neck is a little too thin for me. So I've been looking at the S2 models, because they have a "pattern regular" neck, which I assum is thicker. But they also have the 85/15 pickups and coil tapping which I love. Anybody here want to push me off the cliff? Or pull me back?

My first preference is for the Whale Blue, since blue is my favorite color. But the Moss Green looks very beautiful to me, and it's different.

The Pattern Regular carve is a little more petite feeling than the other PRS carves - like @grausch said, narrower at the nut, and given how wide it is, in terms of thickness, it feels like it’s right down the middle between a fat and thin contour. Not as chunky as fat, not as flat as thin. It’s a great feel, as long as you don’t want a baseball bat neck.

I was just reading the review - https://www.awkwardsound.com/prs-se-custom-24-review/
and I want this guitar. But it is a bit expensive for me. What about Standard 24?

The S2 Standards are the best deal in the PRS catalog! If you’re ok with not having a figured top and birds, you’ll be very happy. Personally, I think they sound better than the Customs, the all mahogany build really growls in the mids. The satin finish models will wear and “relic,” in a nice way, if you’re into that kind of thing, the gloss models are a sturdy modern finish that will keep the guitar looking new.

The Standard 24’s are fantastic instruments. If you want whale blue or moss green, get the custom 24. If it’s a little out of your price range, get a used one. My S2 custom was bought used from Dave’s and just screams. It’s Moss green. I really like the 85/15S pickups.

Do it! The S2 series is a great value. The used market tends to be soft on these, especially Standards, so there are bargains to be found.

Like the others have said, Regular is a little thicker front to back, and a little narrower at the nut. I think it feels more substantial and comfortable than Wide/Thin.

You guys are buying whiskey shots for an alcoholic! :D
But seriously... the slightly narrower neck at the nut and slightly thicker neck appeals to me. Sounds like the kind of neck profile I love.
S2 Standard? I hear what you're saying, but I'm a sucker for beautiful art. :)
When I bought my SE Custom 22 hollow-body, I compared it to an SE Custom 22 solid body, and had a slight preference for the semi-hollow. But the difference wasn't that big. I assume that I would find the same with the S2 Custom solid-body and S2 Custom semi-hollow. Although I think the solid is only available as 24 frets? So the mid and neck sound will be slightly different.
I would prefer to play several in a store but that's probably not possible these days, so I'll have to buy one blind on Reverb.
Thanks to all you enablers. :D

My first (and still favorite) S2 is my Custom 24. You will not regret getting one.

Just get one and post the photo already. :D

That reminds me, I should go pick up mine for a while.

I'm now looking at the S2 Standard-- thanks guys. Certainly the lower price is appealing, and there's some pretty nice colors available there to satisfy my artistic needs. One thing I don't understand is that some S2 Standards sell new for $999, and others for $1379. As best as I can tell, the only difference is that the $999 ones have a "Satin Nitrocellulose" finish, and the $1379 models have a "Gloss Acrylic Urethane" finish. That seems to apply to both the 22 and 24 fret versions. Am I missing something?

Another question for y'all: I never play past the 22nd fret. So are there any advantages tone-wise that a 24-fret model would get me?

Also I noticed that the Standards have 58/15 pickups, as opposed to the 85/15 on the Custom. I love the 85/15 pickups on my SE. I assume the 58/15's will be more like PAF's on Les Pauls? More midrange than the scooped mid sound of the 85/15's?

Last edited:
The S2 satins come with a very thin nitro coat. The wood does not have any wood filler which is visible but does not affect the playability or feel - It is certainly much better done than the Gibson Faded I used to own.

Not sure if it is just the finish or also the fact that they are all mahogany, but the first time I played my black S2 Singlecut Standard, I had to have it. It just sounded huge - my older Satin Standard 24 (not S2 - see avatar) has that same type of sound. They both rock hard.

The finish will become glossy with play. My older Standard’s neck has become slightly sticky, the new S2 is not. The older Standard does have a different finish which I think contributes to this or perhaps it just needs a proper clean...

The new S2 satin finish can chip very easily with the bare wood visible underneath. I have some minor chips and 2 wear spots from where the guitar rests on my leg. These are all very minor, but if that will bug you, you either need to choose a finish where the colour is very close to the colour of the mahogany (so dings aren’t easily visible) or you may wish to spend more for a gloss S2.

Your SE has the 85/15s pickups the “s” indicates they were made overseas. Grausch hit it on the head with the finish. You will get better wood, immaculate frets and closer to tonal nirvana. A friend has a satin finish, and it sounds amazing. He has chipped the hell out of it because he isn’t careful. He’s also proud of the wear.

I bought an SE Custom semi-hollowbody for myself last Christmas, and I love it, except the neck is a little too thin for me. So I've been looking at the S2 models, because they have a "pattern regular" neck, which I assum is thicker. But they also have the 85/15 pickups and coil tapping which I love.
The only thing your statements make me 'think about' is how could you not immediately buy one?!! Now open that wallet and do what needs to be done!

@IceTre , this is your credit card.

I’m cold and lonely and afraid of the dark. Why don’t you pull me out of your wallet and let me see some daylight? Have you forgotten about me? Maybe you can hand me over to a friendly cashier or read my numbers out loud? I love it when you do that!

Treat yourself better. You deserve it.

Back