Thinking about a PRS guitar.

Mjk412

Hey everybody! I’m new here, and still new to the guitar scene. I currently have a fender Strat player series. And I’m looking to buy a guitar that’s more for metal, and hard rock. I really love the look of a PRS set custom 24 in blue. I love it. However, I do not like the sound of the pick ups. I love the look at the guitar. So this is my question.

I’m left-handed, so finding use Latina guitars can be sometimes a challenge. I was going to buy the new guitar for $849. I plan spending around $200 for pickups. Not sure which ones.

So I was debating whether or not to buy this guitar new and put $200 worth of pick ups in it. Maybe whatever else I need.Or buy a used Gibson Les Paul studio for around $1000 or so.

I don’t care about the name of the guitar. I don’t need a Gibson because of the name. I want to guitar that looks good, it has amazing sound, and great tone.

They are different guitars. Which one do you want more?

There's nothing to say you won't swap pups in the les paul too. I know I have. I'm with you on the pickups for the SE Cu24. I buy them expecting a swap. Though, I really like the TCI pickups. I also bought a Les Paul earlier this year planning on swapping electronics when I got home. I bought it cause the guitar felt right in my hands.

Buy the guitar that feels best in your hands, tone is shapeable. The tweaker's curse...

I'm always thinking about a PRS guitar. LOL

More seriously, tou couldn't have picked two more different guitars, even without considering the pickups.

The Les Paul Studio (IMO) has a thicker neck profile compared to an SE Cu24. It's also got flatter radius (12" vs 10") and fewer frets (22 vs 24) than the PRS SE Custom 24.

The LP Studio is weight relieved with Gibson's Ultra Modern Weight Relief, which is fine, but even then I think it'll often weigh more and have a thicker body.

And don't forget tremolo vs no tremolo.

I think there's more in common between the LP Studio and the SE Paul's Guitar, which has a fixed bridge, 22 frets, and a fatter neck.

I've got 3 SE's that I picked up used.
Swapped pickups in two, felt no need with the third.
Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups in the Custom 24 and Custom 22 Semi Hollow made good guitars into great ones.
I'd do again in a heartbeat.

Vintage-1981-82-BC-Rich-USA-Mockingbird-Guitar-RARE.jpg

Have you tried it with your amp, or just in a store? You might like it just fine once you get it home. I would get it and play it for a month or so and see if you don’t find amp settings and pickup height and pole piece adjustments that sound good to you. I would be more interested in putting that $200 into something other than pickups (pedal, amp upgrade).

While I do like the LP Studios, I think you get more from a PRS SE. I'll tell you what, if you want something with great versatility the new SE 24-08 is fantastic. If you like stoptails, the Paul's Guitar SE is a fantastic instrument with the same switching system as the 24-08/.You get alot for your money, and the stock pickups are the best in the SE line IMO. If you watch the stock coming in at Daves Guitar Shop, sometimes you can score a PG SE for under $700. That's a great deal if you can find one. They actually put an aqua colored one up a few days ago.

^^^This. I agree 1000%. I'm a big fan of studios and tributes myself. I lean toward tribute these days for the weight savings and honestly the neck feels more PRSish to me than other Les Paul's.

The 24-08 or Paul's guitar are two excellent SE choices for the reasons listed above. Daves can't be beat in more ways than a solid deal. I'd also suggest the SE 35th and if you like a
Floyd Rose the SE Cu24 is a damn fun guitar too. Those four are my favorite SE for playability, sound, and fun!

But first you have to decide what style of guitar you are after... Good luck!

I am under the impression Mjk412 is looking for a left-handed guitar, so all the right-handed only PRS suggestions don’t apply.

Hey everybody! I’m new here, and still new to the guitar scene. I currently have a fender Strat player series. And I’m looking to buy a guitar that’s more for metal, and hard rock. I really love the look of a PRS set custom 24 in blue. I love it. However, I do not like the sound of the pick ups. I love the look at the guitar. So this is my question.

I’m left-handed, so finding use Latina guitars can be sometimes a challenge. I was going to buy the new guitar for $849. I plan spending around $200 for pickups. Not sure which ones.

So I was debating whether or not to buy this guitar new and put $200 worth of pick ups in it. Maybe whatever else I need.Or buy a used Gibson Les Paul studio for around $1000 or so.

I don’t care about the name of the guitar. I don’t need a Gibson because of the name. I want to guitar that looks good, it has amazing sound, and great tone.

If you're a metal guy, look closely at Ibanez. That's their strong point.

Hell, I'm always thinking about a PRS guitar.
Choose your favorite scale length and then buy any SE series PRS guitar which is from 2015 and newer and leave it stock.
The newer the better.

^^^This. I agree 1000%. I'm a big fan of studios and tributes myself. I lean toward tribute these days for the weight savings and honestly the neck feels more PRSish to me than other Les Paul's.

The 24-08 or Paul's guitar are two excellent SE choices for the reasons listed above. Daves can't be beat in more ways than a solid deal. I'd also suggest the SE 35th and if you like a
Floyd Rose the SE Cu24 is a damn fun guitar too. Those four are my favorite SE for playability, sound, and fun!

But first you have to decide what style of guitar you are after... Good luck!

I do like the 35th alot, and its got some features the 24/08 doesnt have. I find mine to be somewhat twangy though, I think a pickup swap (and highly suggest a saddle swap) would do wonders on them. The neck is very fast and comfortable. The PG SE feels more LP-ish on the neck and the pickups (same ones from the 35th) to me sound way better on the PG. Again, Daves will sometimes have 35ths come through for $650. I wish I knew that before I bought mine new from Sweetwater. No offense to them because they are the best, but man...I coulda saved $350. That's why I'm holding out to see if one of the new ZMs come thru their used listings. If it does, its mine. :D

I might also say that I love LP studios from like ten years back. They used to be like only $800, very affordable and very well built. They are crazy overpriced today.

I’ll give you a different take. Look for a used pre 2015 CE 24. The HFS humbucker screams, and has great clarity. Don’t like the sound? Try raising or lowering it and it changes completely. It would take a while, but that’s the route I would go.

I do like the 35th alot, and its got some features the 24/08 doest have. I find mine to be somewhat twangy though, I think a pickup swap (and highly suggest a saddle swap) would do wonders on them. The neck is very fast and comfortable. The PG SE feels more LP-ish on the neck and the pickups (same ones from the 35th) to me sound way better on the PG. Again, Daves will sometimes have 35ths come through for $650. I wish I knew that before I bought mine new from Sweetwater. No offense to them because they are the best, but man...I coulda saved $350. That's why I'm holding out to see if one of the new ZMs come thru their used listings. If it does, its mine. :D

I might also say that I love LP studios from like ten years back. They used to be like only $800, very affordable and very well built. They are crazy overpriced today.

That jangle twang is from the pot metal trem :) I

That jangle twang is from the pot metal trem :) I
Oh boy...those pot metal saddles. I did change them out but Im still getting twang with the mannmade saddles. However, intonation is way better. I had the old saddle for the A backed all the way to the back of the bridge plate and it was still sharp.

I do not know who is pushing southpaws to play reversed guitars these days, but they are doing them a great injustice. I am left handed, but play a standard guitar strung standardly (a.k.a. a right-handed guitar). There is no such thing as a left-handed piano. Yet, left-handed people play the piano. Some of the most well-known guitarists in the world are southpaws who play standard guitars strung standardly. For example Mark Knopfler is left-handed and so are/were Steve Morse, Rik Emmet, Joe Perry, Johnny Winter, Duane Allman, Danny Gatton, Gary Moore, Steve Cropper, Micheal Bloomfield, Robert Fripp, Elvis Costello, Micheal Hedges, Noel Gallagher, and Chris Martin to name a few. In fact, there are significantly more southpaws who play standard guitars than those who play reversed guitars because southpaws are overrepresented when it comes to playing guitar in general. My recommendation to anyone who is a parent of a left-handed child who wants to learn how to play guitar is to start them out on a standard guitar because neither hand knows what to do at first. Your son/daughter will thank you later when he/she can walk into a music store can play 99% of the instruments hanging on the wall. We have to remember that the hand on the fingerboard has the more difficult job in modern music, especially when it comes to electric guitar. That reality gives a southpaw a distinct advantage when starting out on a standard guitar.

Back