Thinking About A Modern Eagle 5?

My 408-based guitars have done them very well. The Special Semi does a surprisingly credible job, esp in the 2 and 4 positions.

One thing about single coils that rarely gets discussed is which single coils are we talking about? P-90s? Strats? Teles? Rickenbacker toasters? Gold foil? Etc.

There are lots of varieties within each of those, too. Most people automatically think Strat I guess. I think P-90 because they’re more my thing.

I try to be open minded on pickup styles, which is good because when it comes to audio and gear, I’m set in my ways!
I think my mind went straight to Strat because of OP’s questions about the 5-way. I’m also knee deep into the whole PRS that isn’t a SS thing, so maybe that’s why I went there.

Sadly, I missed out on trying @bodia ’s MEV, so I have zero experience with them. Woulda been cool to try if just to cross it off the list (for me).

My 408-based guitars have done them very well. The Special Semi does a surprisingly credible job, esp in the 2 and 4 positions.

One thing about single coils that rarely gets discussed is which single coils are we talking about? P-90s? Strats? Teles? Rickenbacker toasters? Gold foil? Etc.

There are lots of varieties within each of those, too. Most people automatically think Strat I guess. I think P-90 because they’re more my thing.

I try to be open minded on pickup styles, which is good because when it comes to audio and gear, I’m set in my ways!
My preference is as follows - Neck PU & positions 2&4 - strat - Middle & Bridge PU's - Tele. I am guessing that won't happen, unless I decide to make my own guitar. P-90's are not really my thing, but I do have one guitar that has them, just in case I get the urge.

They have beautiful single coil sounds is all I could say. The TCI pick ups are incredible. I’m attaching the PRS video link listen to the single coil sounds. I believe they are Strat sounding but I don’t have a Strat or Telle anymore to compare them to. Single coil sounds are much different than original 408 pickups before these TCI versions. They sound incredible I don’t think you’d be disappointed, check out the video.

Yes, the guitar sounds absolutely great.

I've loved the 408 pickups ever since having one of the early 408-based Signature Limiteds. I also had a later 408, and then got that PS 20 Limited model in 2016. The PS20 Ltd. is still the prettiest sounding guitar I own, hands down (though the coils don't split like the Sig Ltd or 408). The PS20 sits in the ultimate sonic sweet spot for me.

One thing about creating a Strat sound that's rarely discussed:

While part of what makes the tone is the pickup configuration, a big part is also the fact that the pickups sit on a plastic pick guard over a body routed for them, and the woods and construction methods. Without that stuff, the guitar can't really sound like a Strat because the guitar's resonances and frequency characteristics are different. But then, I'm not a huge Strat fan, I like the warmer sounds of humbuckers, P-90s, and set-neck instruments. I was a Gibson player for a 25 years before getting into PRS, so I guess part of this whole tone thing is what one's used to.

I've loved the 408 pickups ever since having one of the early 408-based Signature Limiteds. I also had a later 408, and then got that PS 20 Limited model in 2016. The PS20 Ltd. is still the prettiest sounding guitar I own, hands down (though the coils don't split like the Sig Ltd or 408). The PS20 sits in the ultimate sonic sweet spot for me.

While part of what makes the tone is the pickup configuration, a big part is also the fact that the pickups sit on a plastic pick guard over a body routed for them, and the woods and construction methods. Without that stuff, the guitar can't really sound like a Strat because the guitar's resonances and frequency characteristics are different. But then, I'm not a huge Strat fan, I like the warmer sounds of humbuckers, P-90s, and set-neck instruments. I was a Gibson player for a 25 years before getting into PRS, so I guess part of this whole tone thing is what one's used to.
Great insights! - About the only thing that I could add to your commentary is that I think scale length also plays a role in making Strats and Teles sound the way they sound. I used to be a full humbucker type of guitar player, but it seems like I have been slowly migrating more towards single coil instruments (and cleaner sounds in general)

Ya know (of course you know, you brought it up), there’s a lot to this.

My SE EG is still the PRS “Strat” to beat in my pile. More than scale length, more than wood choices, more than bolt on vs set neck, more than bridge composition, more than pickups… there’s a kind of Strat “hollowness” to that guitar that isn’t as present in the Studio or DC3 (which both have body mounted pickups).

Great insights! - About the only thing that I could add to your commentary is that I think scale length also plays a role in making Strats and Teles sound the way they sound. I used to be a full humbucker type of guitar player, but it seems like I have been slowly migrating more towards single coil instruments (and cleaner sounds in general)
Good call on the scale length thing. Definitely adds some twang!

My ME-V is a killer guitar. Never regretted selling the 4 other PRS guitars it took to get it. It easily does what I liked about the Paul's Guitar and the Brent Mason - both of which I sold to get the ME-V.

I am terrible at keeping up with my YouTube videos, but I have two up...

Ya know (of course you know, you brought it up), there’s a lot to this.

My SE EG is still the PRS “Strat” to beat in my pile. More than scale length, more than wood choices, more than bolt on vs set neck, more than bridge composition, more than pickups… there’s a kind of Strat “hollowness” to that guitar that isn’t as present in the Studio or DC3 (which both have body mounted pickups).
Yep. the EG has that plastic pick guard/routed body thing; the resonances are different.

Think about your synths; they have a filter with a low-pass frequency that's adjustable.

Once you've got the sounds from the oscillator and LFOs filtered, you can then add a resonant peak where the filter's low pass point is.

That resonance adds a certain hollowness, or vocal quality, to the sound. That's exactly the type hollowness you hear on a Strat with its large routed thing for the controls on the same piece of plastic the pickups are mounted to.

If you could add a resonant low pass filter to your guitars with body mounted pickups, you might be able to approximate what a Strat sounds like.

And as we know, not only are pickups microphonic, the resonances affect how the string vibrates. So the plastic also plays a role in the sound, since the pickups are mounted to plastic pick guards covering the hollowed-out space.

If you think about it, one reason a Telecaster has a vastly different bridge pickup sound, even though it's a single coil, is that the bridge pickup is mounted to the fairly solid steel plate on the bridge, and the pickup cavity is small. I think it matters.

It's awfully hard to make a real Strat sound with body mounted pickups.

Not that body mounted pickups aren't great - they sound fantastic! But they're inherently going to be a little different.

Yep. the EG has that plastic pick guard/routed body thing; the resonances are different.

Think about your synths; they have a filter with a low-pass frequency that's adjustable.

Once you've got the sounds from the oscillator and LFOs filtered, you can then add a resonant peak where the filter's low pass point is.

That resonance adds a certain hollowness, or vocal quality, to the sound. That's exactly the type hollowness you hear on a Strat with its large routed thing for the controls on the same piece of plastic the pickups are mounted to.

If you could add a resonant low pass filter to your guitars with body mounted pickups, you might be able to approximate what a Strat sounds like.

And as we know, not only are pickups microphonic, the resonances affect how the string vibrates. So the plastic also plays a role in the sound, since the pickups are mounted to plastic pick guards covering the hollowed-out space.

If you think about it, one reason a Telecaster has a vastly different bridge pickup sound, even though it's a single coil, is that the bridge pickup is mounted to the fairly solid steel plate on the bridge, and the pickup cavity is small. I think it matters.

It's awfully hard to make a real Strat sound with body mounted pickups.

Not that body mounted pickups aren't great - they sound fantastic! But they're inherently going to be a little different.
I did a quick experiment a month ago by swapping the Lace Sliver I have in my KL33 (with a mahogany) adapter ring, into the neck position of my DC3 (since it’ll fit without routing) and… it had the same “glass and ass” tonality but was missing the “honky” thing it exhibits in that KL.

And, I mean, if it does it in the KL which is 24.5” then… you’d think it’d do it in the 25.25” scale, but it didn’t.

I’m beginning to think I need to get a pick guard made for that DC3.

My ME-V is a killer guitar. Never regretted selling the 4 other PRS guitars it took to get it. It easily does what I liked about the Paul's Guitar and the Brent Mason - both of which I sold to get the ME-V.

I really enjoyed these videos! Very nice work and explanation of what you were doing, etc.

Really sweet. Do more, please!

Dude! Yaas! I need one just like the first one but for the neck pup. Great video

I really enjoyed these videos! Very nice work and explanation of what you were doing, etc.

Really sweet. Do more, please!

Thanks!!! I used to be a teacher. Sometimes I think I talk too much, lol.
Dude! Yaas! I need one just like the first one but for the neck pup. Great video

Right on!! I'll do that asap (for real) - I've needed a push to do another. You want clean, right? Or a couple of types of sounds? I'll do 250 and 500K. Gimme some insight on what you'd like to hear.

Sounds great!

I made the mistake of looking at the sold listings on Reverb. Found a 2021 Yellow Tiger from Wildwood, way before I was looking :(

Sadly, I missed out on trying @bodia ’s MEV, so I have zero experience with them. Woulda been cool to try if just to cross it off the list (for me).

Right after I got mine I had @garrett over with his killer purple 594. We both love the 594 and it was fun going back and forth with the different guitars comparing tones and rigs. Don't remember specifics, it was back in 2020. I do remember it was a fun day. Maybe @garrett will chime in with anything he remembers.

Thanks!!! I used to be a teacher. Sometimes I think I talk too much, lol.

Right on!! I'll do that asap (for real) - I've needed a push to do another. You want clean, right? Or a couple of types of sounds? I'll do 250 and 500K. Gimme some insight on what you'd like to hear.
I mean, there’s no rush. But yeah! I’d love to hear some clean tones of the singles, mainly 5&4 (Strat) approximations.

Back