Thinking About A Modern Eagle 5?

The Sig Limited is the prettiest sounding guitar for me. It’s quite amazing how much sweeter it sounds ( to my ear) in the neck position compared with a first year Paul’s guitar I also have. They technically have the same pickup but sound miles apart . The Sig breaks into sweet harmonic trails for breakfast and sustains till lunch
I have never played a Paul's guitar, so I am glad to hear that you think the ME is an improvement sonically, at least in the neck position.
By the way - Over the course of 2 years about 20 years ago, I spent about 36 weeks in Singapore (on business). I was just talking to my wife the other day about going to Singapore on a vacation one of these days. If we decide to go, I would send you a PM.

The Sig Limited is the prettiest sounding guitar for me. It’s quite amazing how much sweeter it sounds ( to my ear) in the neck position compared with a first year Paul’s guitar I also have. They technically have the same pickup but sound miles apart . The Sig breaks into sweet harmonic trails for breakfast and sustains till lunch
I don't think it's a matter of the pickups alone.

It's my belief that the neck and fretboard woods matter a lot more than people give them credit for. The Sig Ltd had some unusually dense wood in the neck as one of its highly touted features. I think that's a big reason it sounded so great.

I don't know if you remember the uproar over whether the necks were in fact so-called 'sinker' mahogany, or just very dense mahogany, but Paul made mention several times that they were dense enough to sink, and that's why he referred to them that way. Personally, I didn't care what they were called, they sounded great, and felt very lively. I think you're hearing that!

I had Artist V, with a Peruvian mahogany neck and ebony fretboard. The guitar felt more alive in my hands than any previous PRS I'd ever owned (there were many), including several others with ebony boards.

When the 30th Anniversary CU24s came out, I had my dealer send me a back-to-back comparison clip of one with an Artist Package, and the PS version with a Peruvian Mahogany neck, Madagascar RW fretboard, and African ribbon mahogany back. As good as that Artist sounded, the PS was amazing, with a different tone and what seemed like endless sustain. I bought the PS. I think it's those woods that make it so different/great.

My McCarty Singlecut also has a Peruvian Mahogany neck, Madagascar RW fretboard and African ribbon mahogany back, and again, it's a guitar that became my #1 and simply sounds the business.

The 20th PS Anniversary model has Madagascar RW on the fretboard, the African ribbon mahogany back, and on this one the mahogany is thicker than usual, the maple thinner than usual. For me, combined with the pickups and the locking trem saddles, this one is a singer with a gorgeous voice.

So, yeah. It's the woods more than folks think.

268254359_10221184797553546_6261616301167458119_n.jpg
268261071_10221184797833553_2397923030507435201_n.jpg

It's my belief that the neck and fretboard woods matter a lot more than people give them credit for. The Sig Ltd had some unusually dense wood in the neck as one of its highly touted features. I think that's a big reason it sounded so great.

I don't know if you remember the uproar over whether the necks were in fact so-called 'sinker' mahogany, or just very dense mahogany, but Paul made mention several times that they were dense enough to sink, and that's why he referred to them that way. Personally, I didn't care what they were called, they sounded great, and felt very lively. I think you're hearing that!

I had Artist V, with a Peruvian mahogany neck and ebony fretboard. The guitar felt more alive in my hands than any previous PRS I'd ever owned (there were many), including several others with ebony boards.

When the 30th Anniversary CU24s came out, I had my dealer send me a back-to-back comparison clip of one with an Artist Package, and the PS version with a Peruvian Mahogany neck, Madagascar RW fretboard, and African ribbon mahogany back. As good as that Artist sounded, the PS was amazing, with a different tone and what seemed like endless sustain. I bought the PS. I think it's those woods that make it so different/great.

My McCarty Singlecut also has a Peruvian Mahogany neck, Madagascar RW fretboard and African ribbon mahogany back, and again, it's a guitar that became my #1 and simply sounds the business.

The 20th PS Anniversary model has Madagascar RW on the fretboard, the African ribbon mahogany back, and on this one the mahogany is thicker than usual, the maple thinner than usual. For me, combined with the pickups and the locking trem saddles, this one is a singer with a gorgeous voice.

AMEN!

There is some serious sonic voodoo to Dark Peruvian Mahogany necks (maybe they’re just called Peruvian Mahogany now?). My McManus acoustic has it, as does my DC 594 with Madagascar RW board and those are killer guitars.

I seem to recall the 20th Ann PS is basically the DC 594 body / maple cap thickness with the 594 scale, but narrow 408s with the NF middle pickup? The shorter scale with more hog body / less maple cap will definitely impact tone compared to the standard body / scale length for most PRS.

I have watched the Brian ME V video which goes into how all all the controls work. I search the internet to see of there was a one page chart that covered all of the tonal possibilities, but could not find one. Does anyone know if a chart exists?

For any Modern Eagle V guitar owners, I have created a one page chart in Xcell that captures all of the tone settings. If interested, please send me a PM with your email address and I will send it to you

Back