Thinking About A Modern Eagle 5?

Thanks!!! I used to be a teacher. Sometimes I think I talk too much, lol.

Right on!! I'll do that asap (for real) - I've needed a push to do another. You want clean, right? Or a couple of types of sounds? I'll do 250 and 500K. Gimme some insight on what you'd like to hear.
Since you asked, and your videos are great, I would like to hear clean tones, single coil, neck pick up - a buesy solo, and I would like to hear a clean funky strum in single positions 2&4 (like in Pick Up the Pieces or something along those lines)

Thanks again for posting the videos

Since you asked, and your videos are great, I would like to hear clean tones, single coil, neck pick up - a buesy solo, and I would like to hear a clean funky strum in single positions 2&4 (like in Pick Up the Pieces or something along those lines)

Thanks again for posting the videos

Congratulations, man!! It should be able to do whatever you need it do!!

Thanks for the kind words regarding my videos. Glad to know they are enjoyed. I sat in the studio tonight playing around with re-balancing the pickups for what I think is suitable height to make it seem "stratty" - which hasn't been hard.

I also worked up a basic rig of a Hiwatt Custom 100 blended with a Roland JC120 (Helix patch, not real, lol). Each amp is running through a Fender 2x15 vertical cab mic'd with an AKG C414 and a Neumann U67. Very clean sound unless I slam the strings or dig in really hard. I think it'll work.

Thinking the general topic is going to be "ME-V - Playing it Clean: the single coil tones"....

Now you have to give us a hint which one
Please be patient. When I get it in my hands, I will share pics. It will be traveling from the midwest to Southern California, so I am expecting it towards the middle to end of next week. My town is always the last stop on the delivery vehicles, so it won't arrive until late in the day on the day it is delivered (at least based on past expereience).

They have beautiful single coil sounds is all I could say. The TCI pick ups are incredible. I’m attaching the PRS video link listen to the single coil sounds. I believe they are Strat sounding but I don’t have a Strat or Telle anymore to compare them to. Single coil sounds are much different than original 408 pickups before these TCI versions. They sound incredible I don’t think you’d be disappointed, check out the video.

As I noted earlier, I have a WL ME V on pre-order from Brian's. I've felt a bit guilty about it, since it is not a small sum of money for just one guitar - I used to tell myself I would stick below a certain budget, and this is easily twice that amount.

But after watching that video above, again, I am doubly convinced this is going to be an awesome guitar! I just wish I could play as smoothly and coherently as @bryanewald. Bryan, you could make a Hello Kitty uke sound like heaven...

+1 - But its a bit too late for me. I just pulled the trigger. Will post pics as soon as I have the new guitar in my hands
Awesome! I am quite sure you will love it! Yes, please post pics!

Right after I got mine I had @garrett over with his killer purple 594. We both love the 594 and it was fun going back and forth with the different guitars comparing tones and rigs. Don't remember specifics, it was back in 2020. I do remember it was a fun day. Maybe @garrett will chime in with anything he remembers.

The main thing I remember was liking the neck pickup in single coil mode on the MEV, but not so much the bridge pickup in single mode. I preferred the beefier single coil sound of the older Brent Mason pickup in my SE One.

But that MEV was pretty dang amazing. You could easily spend a day just noodling through all the tonal possibilities.

The main thing I remember was liking the neck pickup in single coil mode on the MEV, but not so much the bridge pickup in single mode. I preferred the beefier single coil sound of the older Brent Mason pickup in my SE One.

Full agreement, man. I would love this guitar even more with the old Narrow 408s and the 305 in the middle.

That's very nice!

Sergio will provide a luke-warm response, but don't worry, it's just that he hates blue. Me, on the other hand, loves me some blue!

Reactions: CVS
My ME-V is a killer guitar. Never regretted selling the 4 other PRS guitars it took to get it. It easily does what I liked about the Paul's Guitar and the Brent Mason - both of which I sold to get the ME-V.

I am terrible at keeping up with my YouTube videos, but I have two up...

Subscribed!!

Preliminary tone report.

I played the following songs over tracks that I created a while back , using a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb amp

1. I Shot The Sheriff - EC Version - Using single coil position 1 &2 ( - bridge with clean boost)
2. Ain't No Sunshine - Buddy Guy Version - Using single coil position 5 (neck - with clean boost)
3. Ramblin Man - Allman Brothers - Using Using Humbucker position 5 (no pedals)
4. One of These Nights - Using Humbucker position 1 - (with Blue Note OD pedal for the solo)

I played a combination of both chords and solos with volume controls at 10 for the single coil solos, around 7-8 for humbucker solos and around 6-7 when playing chords

All tones were great and for sure better than just "usable"! Single coil tones are much more strat like (IMHO) than Tele like and were inspiring to me. My biggest fear was that I would not bond with the single coil tones. That concern seems to be off the table.

To test the single coil sounds, I played a PRS Silver Sky on the 1st 2 songs as well for comparison.

If I still feel this way in a month, I may be selling a few guitars. I have more testing to do especially with positions 3&4.

PS - At one point I had a 513, but I just never did bond with the single coil tones or the fully open humbucker tones, so I sold it.

If you have small hands and fingers like me, these is a good chance you will like the feel of the neck.

That's it for the moment, in about a week, I will add some more comments.

Yes, the guitar sounds absolutely great.

I've loved the 408 pickups ever since having one of the early 408-based Signature Limiteds. I also had a later 408, and then got that PS 20 Limited model in 2016. The PS20 Ltd. is still the prettiest sounding guitar I own, hands down (though the coils don't split like the Sig Ltd or 408). The PS20 sits in the ultimate sonic sweet spot for me.

One thing about creating a Strat sound that's rarely discussed:

While part of what makes the tone is the pickup configuration, a big part is also the fact that the pickups sit on a plastic pick guard over a body routed for them, and the woods and construction methods. Without that stuff, the guitar can't really sound like a Strat because the guitar's resonances and frequency characteristics are different. But then, I'm not a huge Strat fan, I like the warmer sounds of humbuckers, P-90s, and set-neck instruments. I was a Gibson player for a 25 years before getting into PRS, so I guess part of this whole tone thing is what one's used to.
The Sig Limited is the prettiest sounding guitar for me. It’s quite amazing how much sweeter it sounds ( to my ear) in the neck position compared with a first year Paul’s guitar I also have. They technically have the same pickup but sound miles apart . The Sig breaks into sweet harmonic trails for breakfast and sustains till lunch

Back