Think PRS will ever make a Tele?

It is said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But suppose, just suppose that the imitation exceeds the original...is that not a win?

I can't think of one good reason for PRS to release a Telecaster model. They should be innovating not imitating. Always dance in your own shoes and don't jump someone else's train.
PRS has one very big reason to make a T-style - they will likely sell a boatload, and therefore profit. And the more profit they make, the longer they will be in business, making the other guitars you find acceptable.

PRS has defined itself through two basic body shapes that they created for themselves: the Santana shape (also found as a variation in the Mira), and the classic CU22/24 shape. I think they've done pretty good by them, and continue to riff on the ways to make them excellent variations of guitars. I suppose the Grainger bass is another shape of PRS's design.

PRS also experimented with some interesting variations like the JA-15 and SC-J. You can tell how they revolutionized the PRS landscape by the vast plethora of them in the market place. (That is tongue firmly in place.) Similarly for the very limited shape of the Dweezil model (which is a variation of the CU24 shape, of course).

The Vela was the most recent "new" shape. That model seems to be doing quite well.

Non-594 Singlecut models like the Starla are interesting side-notes too. Not sure how they fit into the "is it a new body shape or not" discussion.

The Herman Li guitars, should it ever be made into production, would be a new model shape.

Unfortunately, there are lots of non-Strat, non-Les Paul, and non-Tele shapes out there, and yet the S, T, and LP shapes are what dominate the visual landscape because that's what seems to sell. Sure, you'll see an occasional Gretsch or Rickenbacker,

Also, over time there have been plenty of other shapes tried and failed to capture the mass market appeal (those countless guitar makers that popped up in the 1960s, or failed shapes from makers that went on and survived anyway), or captured it just enough to be "interesting" without being something to copy / inspire (Vox teardrop, BC Rich models), which means two things:

1. The likelihood of a new shape suddenly being acceptable (and profitable) may be quite small.
2. Without doing extensive research a company like PRS might re-invent an old shape that for some reason still has a copyright or trademark.

I don't see PRS trying to get too weird in designs, either, like the Yamaha sgv-800 (played by my favorite alien, Peter Capaldi's Dr Who). So it is still gonna have to be something not too far off the mark (like the Vela).

To lure in the name-recognition of someone like Keith Urban (for example), that artist needs to play a guitar they feel fits their existing image. A T-style by PRS would fit that bill.

PRS has one very big reason to make a T-style - they will likely sell a boatload, and therefore profit. And the more profit they make, the longer they will be in business, making the other guitars you find acceptable.

PRS has defined itself through two basic body shapes that they created for themselves: the Santana shape (also found as a variation in the Mira), and the classic CU22/24 shape. I think they've done pretty good by them, and continue to riff on the ways to make them excellent variations of guitars. I suppose the Grainger bass is another shape of PRS's design.

PRS also experimented with some interesting variations like the JA-15 and SC-J. You can tell how they revolutionized the PRS landscape by the vast plethora of them in the market place. (That is tongue firmly in place.) Similarly for the very limited shape of the Dweezil model (which is a variation of the CU24 shape, of course).

The Vela was the most recent "new" shape. That model seems to be doing quite well.

Non-594 Singlecut models like the Starla are interesting side-notes too. Not sure how they fit into the "is it a new body shape or not" discussion.

The Herman Li guitars, should it ever be made into production, would be a new model shape.

Unfortunately, there are lots of non-Strat, non-Les Paul, and non-Tele shapes out there, and yet the S, T, and LP shapes are what dominate the visual landscape because that's what seems to sell. Sure, you'll see an occasional Gretsch or Rickenbacker,

Also, over time there have been plenty of other shapes tried and failed to capture the mass market appeal (those countless guitar makers that popped up in the 1960s, or failed shapes from makers that went on and survived anyway), or captured it just enough to be "interesting" without being something to copy / inspire (Vox teardrop, BC Rich models), which means two things:

1. The likelihood of a new shape suddenly being acceptable (and profitable) may be quite small.
2. Without doing extensive research a company like PRS might re-invent an old shape that for some reason still has a copyright or trademark.

I don't see PRS trying to get too weird in designs, either, like the Yamaha sgv-800 (played by my favorite alien, Peter Capaldi's Dr Who). So it is still gonna have to be something not too far off the mark (like the Vela).

To lure in the name-recognition of someone like Keith Urban (for example), that artist needs to play a guitar they feel fits their existing image. A T-style by PRS would fit that bill.
Santanas are double cut LPJrs.

Santanas are double cut LPJrs.
Hmm, inspired by the shape, but IMHO the horns, most particularly, are different. I just did a quick and dirty MS Paint mashup, and the Santana model has all those PRS "things" that evolve the shape away from "just" a DC LP Jr.

IMHO, YMMV. :p

Sidney: "What are you doing?"
Billy: "I'm listening to Jimmy."
Sidney: "But you can't hear Jimmy."
Later...
Sidney: "I am not listening to you."
Billy: "But you are hearing me!"
:D
Perspective and attitude people...

Back