Think PRS will ever make a Tele?

“PRS will never make a Les Paul”

“PRS will never make a Stratocaster”

“PRS will never make a Telecaster”

How quickly we forget :eek:

I’ll make a new, more likely statement.

“Somehow, Paul often knows what the guitar market needs before we do.”

My Danocaster singlecut is nearly perfect, following the traditional model, as is my Dano doublecut.

That said, based on my recent Silver Sky acquisition, I would be so down with trying a PRS T-style guitar. For me, I would love it if my F-style guitars came with the SS's fat neck, the better heel, and scooped hand cut. Beyond that, I suspect the same headstock would also make string tension better, and an easier flip swtich (I really dig how my SS clicks into each position).

While the Tele needs a metal bridge plate or equivalent for THAT tone, I don't think we have to stick to the same metal plate control strip and I would be curious what Paul and company might come up with.

And if they make one in maple, I vote small solid black birds!

Better frets and neck feel, a few sociable body tweaks, and mostly a creative reimagining in the 21st Century. As a point I’ve probably beat to death, I recall every one of these questions posited about a Les Paul and Strat, with good reason. People didn’t really see that they could be improved, or at least a improved alternative presented, as such venerable and revered guitars. Yet, here we are. Again.

I’d just like to see them pick up that gauntlet.

I’d venture that the 594 and Silver Sky added fans of the guitars in their own right, players that weren’t existing LP or Strat owners. While there are players like me who want a real Tele tone and vibe in a PRS-feeling guitar, I think it might also attract other people for other reasons to the PRS family of products who might otherwise stay away.

There’s nothing to be taken away from the Telecaster, a true classic in every meaning of the word. I’m looking for an addition to the lineage, a homage that both pays tribute and moves the ball down the field at the same time.

Last edited:
Better frets and neck feel, a few sociable body tweaks, and mostly a creative reimagining in the 21st Century. As a point I’ve probably beat to death, I recall every one of these questions posited about a Les Paul and Strat, with good reason. People didn’t really see that they could be improved, or at least a improved alternative presented, to such venerable and revered guitars. Yet, here we are. Again.

I’d venture that the 594 and Silver Sky added fans of the guitars in their own right, players that weren’t existing LP or Strat owners. While there are players like me who want a real Tele tone and vibe in a PRS-feeling guitar, I think it might also attract other people for other reasons to the PRS family of products who might otherwise stay away.

There’s nothing to be taken away from the Telecaster, a true classic in every meaning of the word. I’m looking for an addition to the lineage, a homage that both pays tribute and moves the ball down the field at the same time.
They would probably do a good job if they tackled it, but I don’t see that being a priority.

Paul poked at Les Paul tone from day one and took many shots at the strat space over the last 30 years. Tele sound has never really been his target and I don’t see him going after it without being motivated by a huge player. Particularly given the backlog they have with models they know sell.

They would probably do a good job if they tackled it, but I don’t see that being a priority.

Paul poked at Les Paul tone from day one and took many shots at the strat space over the last 30 years. Tele sound has never really been his target and I don’t see him going after it without being motivated by a huge player. Particularly given the backlog they have with models they know sell.
True, but I’m spoiled. I got a perfect LP and Strat. I need the hat trick.

Wow. That sounds like future brochure lingo! Other then outright using the word Telecaster lol.

Better frets and neck feel, a few sociable body tweaks, and mostly a creative reimagining in the 21st Century. As a point I’ve probably beat to death, I recall every one of these questions posited about a Les Paul and Strat, with good reason. People didn’t really see that they could be improved, or at least a improved alternative presented, as such venerable and revered guitars. Yet, here we are. Again.

I think if PRS really wanted to attract a new player base who might overwise stay away, they'd create a true super strat shredder strat first. They've really never put out something like an Ibanez or Charvel 80s type guitar with a thin neck, hot aftermarket pickups (Ex. Dimarzios or Duncans) in a hard tail or optional floyd for cheap. I think the closest they come is an SE Tremonti or CE24, but those don't have the stock pickups those players would normally like or attract people to a certain type of music (Tremonti SE). They've discussed releasing a Herman Li signature guitar, but nothings come out yet. With a non signature version of that or a popular version of a shredder super strat for around $800-1200, they'd be able to attract a younger or more diverse player base who could then grow into a more expensive core PRS guitar later on. I know shredders aren't really their demographic, but those are actually some of the cheaper guitars to make and produce, even if they were made in Indonesia.

I've heard the Custom 24 with floyd rose and PRS metal pickups is a similar type guitar to what im describing above too, but those are priced out of most people's budgets ($3K) who like those types of guitars.

They've really never put out something like an Ibanez or Charvel 80s type guitar with a thin neck, hot aftermarket pickups (Ex. Dimarzios or Duncans) in a hard tail or optional floyd for cheap. With a non signature version of that or a popular version of a shredder super strat for around $800-1200, they'd be able to attract a younger or more diverse player base who could then grow into a more expensive core PRS guitar later on. I know shredders aren't really their demographic, but those are actually some of the cheaper guitars to make and produce, even if they were made in Indonesia.
SE Torero?

SE Torero?

Is that still in production? I notice it has EMGs too, which I dont think are big sellers in a lot of guitars. That could be what led it to be discontinued.

Edit: I noticed there is an SE floyd out there, but I still think PRS is lacking a good throw back 80s style super shredder guitar.

Last edited:
If I want another Tele, I'll go buy another Tele. I'd much prefer to see PRS innovate and abandon replication of the past.

Full disclosure: I'd have made JM any guitar he wanted to sign-on with my company. Business is business.

Last edited:
No disrespect intended to any of the long-time members and PRS aficionados here, but every argument against the Tele was a reason not to make the Silver Sky and 594. I think we’re all glad those were made, whether for us/others/PRS-bottom-line. Both of those represented much more than a replication of the past, and included quite a lot of innovation and advancement along with inclusion of the “standard” portions that did work.

I totally get why fans and detractors of Strats and LPs didn’t want PRS to make either, and why many PRS players at the time thought it was a mistake/a bad move/a flop waiting to happen... but Paul proved everyone wrong on every count, and the guitars themselves proved why they needed to be made.

I don’t expect I’ll have any luck in convincing anyone if John Mayer and Paul Reed Smith couldn’t do it until the guitar was in their hands. That’s ok. Even as much as I hope they tackle it, I’d not expect a Tele of any origin to be my primary guitar. But you may bet your last dollar that I’d buy one!

I kind of like the pushback. There is a part of PRSh that gets a gleam in the eye when people say “it can’t be improved,” or “no one would buy a (fill in the blank) style made by PRS,” etc. Come on, Big Man. Roll up those sleeves.

Last edited:
No disrespect intended to any of the respected long-time members and PRS aficionados here, but every argument against the Tele was a reason not to make the Silver Sky and 594.
Not to be argumentative, but the path to the Silver Sky and the path to the 594 were very different. Silver sky was built as a PRS take on a strat.

The 594 is the current state of the natural evolution of the McCarty. PRS started on that path very early on. There was never an argument against any step in that evolution.

Not to be argumentative, but the path to the Silver Sky and the path to the 594 were very different. Silver sky was built as a PRS take on a strat.

The 594 is the current state of the natural evolution of the McCarty. PRS started on that path very early on. There was never an argument against any step in that evolution.
Agreed.

I’m really not trying to be argumentative to any of the opinions here. I’m not sure why I’m even taking the time, as I’m a 513 guy. But where did the inspiration for that evolution of the McCarty come from? The best sounding old McCarty-influenced Les Pauls. I can’t imagine anyone doesn’t see the SC594 as a 21st Century Les Paul, a ‘59 Burst that plays right all the time. Although it didn’t start as a LP project, and came by a different road, the 594 part of the McCarty line landed there. And bettered the breed in the process. The actual McCarty still exists in several models, and the 594 is what it is. I’m glad of it!

I think the Tele is it’s own thing. I think others have made it better than Fender, at least at times. I just think PRS can add something valuable and useful to the evolution, because they already have done that in two other instances, even if the path to the result wasn’t the same for each.

I’m not on a crusade, just throwing it out there. I don’t want to
fV3LJbZ.gif

Back