Think PRS will ever make a Tele?

No, I wouldn’t care to see PRS devote resources towards making a Tele.

The most revered Telecasters are the original ones and (aside from modern wiring) any attempt to improve the model is generally met with scorn & derision from the Tele base. I think it’s the most reactionary electric guitar model in history

Could PRS make it better? Sure. Is there sufficient audience to warrant a PRS Tele? I don’t see it. Having the most progressive major guitar manufacturer redesign the most conservative/primitive guitar seems ludicrous to me. But, stranger things have happened (especially these days)

It really saddens me that people would rather have PRS rebuild guitars that other companies created back in the 50s. I’d rather they be known for their own original work. (It’s like having your favorite guitarists playing cover tunes with note-by-note copies of the original songs’ solos)

Last edited:
I’d be totally in on it. I mean, who could have made an argument that PRS needed to build a Strat? Yet they did, and added something the market lacked and embraced. And the 594... not a signature model, just a PRS version of the best Les Paul’s. And it’s one of their most successful models.

There’s absolutely no reason to think they couldn’t do the same for a Tele, and even less reason to not want them to do it!

It really saddens me that people would rather have PRS rebuild guitars that other companies created back in the 50s. I’d rather they be known for their own original work.
Their own original work was copying two 50s guitars, Strat & Les Paul Junior, to come up with the PRS Custom body we all know. Their second most successful design, SC245, was a modern Les Paul copy. Hallo...lol.

Their own original work was copying two 50s guitars, Strat & Les Paul Junior, to come up with the PRS Custom body we all know. Their second most successful design, SC245, was a modern Les Paul copy. Hallo...lol.
Tell me more

I had countless SSS guitars , Custom shop , Sig , USA , MIM all in the end were not keepers for me. Really went PRS in 2005 and it took PRS to make the Silver Sky for me to have a SSS guitar I REALLY love , (and yes I had a 305 and a DC3)
I have a Tele and its nice , but would 100% pay for a PRS take on a Tele even tho my 408 does a nice tele already.
Come to think of it an Esquire with a Tele version of a 408 pickup and something like the secret agent under the guard, Silver Sky neck carve change the lower horn like the silver sky and the smaller neck heel , possibly a take on the Snake head headstock ( like a Santana shape )

They'd probably sell from the get go to people like us because the GAS will be strong with this one. I'd bet it'd meet all the ridicule of the silver sky, but it'll most likely be a great guitar that everyone ends up praising. Will it be true to the Pure Tele players?...odds are stacked against that...most Tele guys I know won't touch a PRS...it's like an opposite polarity with some folks. Will PRS guys who love a Tele like the PRS take?...I'd wager most definitely so. Will it cause some non-PRS guys to finally try a PRS? I'd bet almost every Tele player that has one in front of them at a dealer will give it a go. Fresh blood.

I’d be totally in on it. I mean, who could have made an argument that PRS needed to build a Strat? Yet they did, and added something the market lacked and embraced. And the 594... not a signature model, just a PRS version of the best Les Paul’s. And it’s one of their most successful models.

There’s absolutely no reason to think they couldn’t do the same for a Tele, and even less reason to not want them to do it!

I think making the 594 made sense because it improved on the shortcomings of the Gibson Les Paul like the headstock angle, neck carve, neck joint, and arguably pickups when Gibson couldn't or would not do those fixes.

With the Tele, there's not really much to improve on. Its design is just what it is and works for people. Not sure what the Silver Sky has over a regular strat, but that seems more like a one off case of a really popular artist wanting a signature guitar to me, unless it improved on the strat design?

Tell me more
Gladly. :D

Silver Sky - enough said.

All their humbuckers from the past 10 years have been nothing but an attempt to copy what Gibson did in the 50s.

You say no to a PRS Tele because you want to company to stay original o_O but there is nothing original about them. They take past ideas/designs and improve them, in both fit and finish. Doing Paul's take on a Telecaster would be no different and inline with what PRS has always done.

I'd try out a PRS Tele with optimism, even though I don't like the Silver Sky.
There are many improvements to make on a Tele. Fender (and others) have corrected most of the old issues, but not all of them.

There's room for another guitar on the market. That said, I'd still prefer to see a new design instead of an old one.

I think making the 594 made sense because it improved on the shortcomings of the Gibson Les Paul like the headstock angle, neck carve, neck joint, and arguably pickups when Gibson couldn't or would not do those fixes.

With the Tele, there's not really much to improve on. Its design is just what it is and works for people. Not sure what the Silver Sky has over a regular strat, but that seems more like a one off case of a really popular artist wanting a signature guitar to me, unless it improved on the strat design?
What Paul & Co really did was to take a truly classic design, retain all of the things that made it classic while dragging it into the present and making it a truly playable guitar. I love 50s and 60s Fenders and Gibsons, but most of them don’t play particularly well and feel as though they are fighting me all the time. Some players like that, but I don’t. The 594 and SS give me the sound without the fight. I have a great sounding Tele, but I rarely play it because it’s one of those fighters. When I want the bite it has, I use it. But how nice it would be to get that tone and look on a smooth playing guitar. This is what I hope to see.

Back