Things to do in Chicago?

jcha008

I've been in town past couple days due to the ACE convention and tomorrow afternoon/evening is really the only free time I'll have this whole trip.

I have no meetings/dinners planned with the vendors and district manager tomorrow so I was wondering if there were any sights, restaurants, bars, etc that I should check out?

I know there's not much to do in only one day, but screw it. I'm here and may as well check some stuff out.

Sheesh... What isn't there to do?

Check out any of Rick Bayless' eating spots like Frontera, eat meat at Gibson's, or get some deep dish at any place. Go to the Signature Club for drinks, check out The Broken Shaker (one of my favorites) in the old Tokyo Hotel and bring an $80 deposit for a "Chicago Politics" beverage served in a brass pineapple, or hit the northwest side and get some Hurricanes at The Orbit Room...

I guess you could go to Buddy Guys... but you could hit The Baton Club for some female impersonators and then eat at XOCO, puke it all out at The Bean in Millennium Park and head to Hackney's for more drinks... Go to Primary and tell the door man "Klaus is in the house" for more late night bottle service an' dancing with upscale women.

Go see a show at the Empty Bottle if you're more into hipster chicks with crooked bangs and grab a heavy metal themed burger at Kuma's Corner, get some "Glazed and Infused" doughnuts, hit Montrose beach, see a Cubs game and publicly urinate in an alley.... The possibilities are endless.

Frontera for sure if you're willing to line up.

Publican is an awesome place for food too - you can tip the kitchen beer if you like the cooking.

Cocktails at the Violet Hour in Wicker Park are top of the list too, if you're into that sort of thing, and can find the entrance. If you are going to Wicker Park then you could go to Big Star to eat - great tacos and then there are any number of great places to booze it up.

Go visit Chicago Music Exchange! Great inventory and beautiful guitar store!

Restaurant called Mexique is awesome! A little different than other places in Chicago, but it's a Michelin star restaurant. I loved Giovanni's pizza!

Enjoy!

Thanks guys! I didn't have nearly as much free time as I planned, but it was fun walking around the city for a while and checking out the cool shops, etc. Looks like it will be back here next year, so I will have to plan ahead with more of your recommendations.

Back