Things guitar center employees say

The pedal sounds segments were some of my favorites on there. Although I've never had a problem at any music store with employees not wanting to set stuff up to try out. They're usually helpful in that regard, then become pushy after a few minutes.

Too funny. I've had a bunch of those situations. Mostly good service, but there's always a story. I found the end (show me your receipt) ironic. The GC that's a couple of miles from my house just remodeled (took out a bunch of gear for an "open" floor plan) and they took out the desk by the front door, and the "receipt checker". Read in the local paper last week that someone walked out with $5k in DJ gear. No cameras in the store either.

Great vid. Fluff and Jared I recognize from the YouTube- yep, I'm in IT, and I said "the YouTube" - :)

The local guitar center here was probably the fuel for this - although they all come from corporate training / brainwashing.

Love the vid tho..

The most accurate is the coverage offering. I know it's their job to offer it, but they don't have to keep asking 5 times before they take your no for an answer LOL

How about the " It's so versatile, It's the only guitar I use in my band." Said by the guy with glove soft fingertips trying to get me to buy a McCarty and of course grabs the instrument from my hands and proceeds to grimace out an E chord. Ultimately, SHE bought the guitar, but he was a terrible salesman of the first order. I don't know how they are now, it's been too long in Hawaii with none, but it doesn't sound like they have gotten any better from the posts.

I actually got some of the best advice from a Guitar Center employee (the practice a little bit every day instead of trying to make up for it on the weekend advice), so it's just a matter of finding one of the good ones.

Hilarious! Look for the bloopers video too...

I was pretty sure I recognized Seattle's The Guitar Store in the video, since I was there just two weekends ago. Very cool store with an outstanding selection!

Saw this video a few days ago, and laughed a little (I just had oral surgery, so it kinda hurts to laugh). My buddy is the store manager at the GC in Madison, I showed him the video and he wasn't impressed, but that might be because I told him next time I come in, he's demoing pedals for me, lol.

While the video is funny, it also brings back some deja vu from experiences in music stores I have had dealings with. While it might be funny now, it was more of a train wreck (no, not the amplifier) when going through the experience, at least for me.

However, I did learn from these experiences. Can you say "Internet sales with reliable, and known dealers only?"

When you are seeking a piece of gear and dialing different unknown dealers, who you sense are treating you as the video portrays, can you say "Does this sound like I am hanging up the phone?" followed by you hanging up the phone.

Saw this video a few days ago, and laughed a little (I just had oral surgery, so it kinda hurts to laugh). My buddy is the store manager at the GC in Madison, I showed him the video and he wasn't impressed, but that might be because I told him next time I come in, he's demoing pedals for me, lol.

I guess I know where I am going pedal shopping after the move...

The most accurate is the coverage offering. I know it's their job to offer it, but they don't have to keep asking 5 times before they take your no for an answer LOL

Luckily, on the rare occasion I buy at GC, the employee is usually a burnout that lacks the tenacity to push the warranty after I turn it down once.

They flip flop a lot on what's "covered," things like accidental damage, "commercial use" (aka anything outside your home, had a guy try to tell me that the warranty wouldn't cover any damage to my 100w half stack if I was using it outside my home, you've got to be joking).

GC sells you a warranty, and their commitment to fixing any problem you have is OVER, the warranty is a third party generic POS. I once had the GC warranty on an amp that burned up and the manufacturer was hassling me to get out of repairing it under the mfr warranty, so I tried to get GC and/or this third party to go to work on my behalf... what a JOKE. Each conversation lasted just long enough for someone to basically tell me that I'm still under the mfr warranty and take it up with them myself.

That's why I buy with Sweetwater a lot now, if a manufacturer tries to screw me, I have an automatic 2 years with Sweetwater and they'll make it right.

Luckily, on the rare occasion I buy at GC, the employee is usually a burnout that lacks the tenacity to push the warranty after I turn it down once.

They flip flop a lot on what's "covered," things like accidental damage, "commercial use" (aka anything outside your home, had a guy try to tell me that the warranty wouldn't cover any damage to my 100w half stack if I was using it outside my home, you've got to be joking).

GC sells you a warranty, and their commitment to fixing any problem you have is OVER, the warranty is a third party generic POS. I once had the GC warranty on an amp that burned up and the manufacturer was hassling me to get out of repairing it under the mfr warranty, so I tried to get GC and/or this third party to go to work on my behalf... what a JOKE. Each conversation lasted just long enough for someone to basically tell me that I'm still under the mfr warranty and take it up with them myself.

That's why I buy with Sweetwater a lot now, if a manufacturer tries to screw me, I have an automatic 2 years with Sweetwater and they'll make it right.
Yeah, I've never had faith on their warranty. Mainly reason being is I tend to flip gear quicker than I can count my fingers. Sorry to hear about your troubles with GC warranty.

It was fun to let those guys use my shop. I think they let us guitar jerks off too easy. Then again every workplace has it's own uniquely annoying things. Anyhow Fluff and I are working on a series. The Pilot will be out in a few weeks. Titled "The New Hire" it will star someone well known on this forum as he experiences his first day working at the store. I think you all will like it.

It was fun to let those guys use my shop. I think they let us guitar jerks off too easy. Then again every workplace has it's own uniquely annoying things. Anyhow Fluff and I are working on a series. The Pilot will be out in a few weeks. Titled "The New Hire" it will star someone well known on this forum as he experiences his first day working at the store. I think you all will like it.
Sweet! Best post of the thread.

I remember I once came in to GS to buy a strap for a last minute gig. It was a black wool material covered with a black stitching and with "fleather" endings. I asked if they had another color, the gc sales clerk said that they didn't, but he assured me that this was one of the finest leather straps they had. "Expensive leather" he said. I almost laughed, bcs there was absolutely no leather on that strap. The guy was way younger than me and I was in a hurry. But then that is a great example of what to expect when at GS.
I am in no way talking bad about GS.. just something that occurs at a regular basis.

Lol

I went in to look at amps a while back. Was browsing when the sales person came up and said, "this is one of the best! Hand wired in Germany!" My response, "then why does it say made in China on the back?" He quit talking to me :-/

Back