They changed the Vela neck pickup?!?

I knew Vela’s went up, like everything else. But the satin was always the least expensive one. GC had a really cool cherry sunburst one that hung on the shelf for close to a year. At one point, it went on sale for $999. A couple months later, $899.

I have no question that the guitar is worth $1500, but after $900 just 2 years ago, that’s a tough pill to swallow.

But then again, I see Mesa amps going for more used, than I paid for that model brand new 5-6 years ago. So I understand that the whole world is nuts. Maybe the upcoming recession will bring used gear prices back down to something more reasonable. But I’ve been looking for one or two more amps for 2 years now and when you don’t need something, paying 30-40% more than it was is just something I don’t need to do.
It's a silly world.. basic bridge, import electronics, and very little finish work for that price. Love my Vela, but glad I got it for what I did when I did.

It's a silly world.. basic bridge, import electronics, and very little finish work for that price. Love my Vela, but glad I got it for what I did when I did.
I hear that. I wish I had bought that one when it was on sale. Or, what I really wish, is that I had bought one of the reclaimed series. Old story, but I had a deal worked for one of those, trading in another guitar as part of the deal, but saw it and it was the plainest one of those I’ve ever seen. Some of those were cool, some very cool, and some great just great. This one had very plain looking wood and I held off trying to get one from another dealer. In just a few days those were gone and… snooze you lose.

I knew Vela’s went up, like everything else. But the satin was always the least expensive one. GC had a really cool cherry sunburst one that hung on the shelf for close to a year. At one point, it went on sale for $999. A couple months later, $899.

I have no question that the guitar is worth $1500, but after $900 just 2 years ago, that’s a tough pill to swallow.

But then again, I see Mesa amps going for more used, than I paid for that model brand new 5-6 years ago. So I understand that the whole world is nuts. Maybe the upcoming recession will bring used gear prices back down to something more reasonable. But I’ve been looking for one or two more amps for 2 years now and when you don’t need something, paying 30-40% more than it was is just something I don’t need to do.
Well, I doubt the recession will see significant price drops. That would mean deflation and that is not really something you should hope for. However (second hand) guitar stuff is not really a big portion of the indexes I guess, so you never know ;)

Well, I doubt the recession will see significant price drops. That would mean deflation and that is not really something you should hope for. However (second hand) guitar stuff is not really a big portion of the indexes I guess, so you never know ;)

Used gear prices are already falling and new is settling. I don't know if we see much retail price drop (probably the fluff and coat tail riders) but discounts and used gear prices are already getting better.

The guitar market was a very unique situation of supply, manufacturing, and labor shortages with a sudden explosion of new users stuck at home with free time. Lots of those new players were previous players picking up the guitar again in who knows how many years? Many of those new and new old players have already given up or slowed the guitar as life begins to return to our new normal. I know of three friends that fall into this category but one that really stuck with it. If more continue to give up than stay with it we will have more surplus of new and old gear to normalize prices even more.

I go to a lot of guitar stores on my regular travels, and some are hovering at the overstock stage. Several have more than they did pre pandemic. I heard a major store refusing to buy used gear because they said back stock was too high.

Last edited:
Yup, definitely looks changed...

ly6eym6yqwbkbupnfwqe.jpg

It's possible it's exactly the same, they just quite the cosmetic 'adjustment screws' that don't adjust anything...?
The pole pieces are now moved to the center in addition there's now less metal in the bobbin without the screws.Just a matter of how much the tone might have changed, probably subtle who knows?

It’s crazy, the prices……
Yeah, but it’s everything. It’s not out of line at all, given the increases in everything else. I was just surprised when I first saw that increase.

Back