They ain't making it easy, PS Custom 24 with 85-15 pups

imagejpg1_zps09a66680.jpg

Here is another 85/15 Brazilian neck PS...

available from GTRMAV at the Arlington (TX) guitar show this weekend.

1601107_10202943759819928_1578697744419720856_n.jpg

I keep looking at this OP guitar. It is incredible! When did these pickups arrive???? And what the hell are they exactly?

I keep looking at this OP guitar. It is incredible! When did these pickups arrive???? And what the hell are they exactly?

If I had to guess, they're current (15) reproductions of Paul's favorite pickups from back when he was getting started (85).

Im getting mine this Thursday! (ordered it about 2 months ago), its gonna be "Vintage Yellow" top, cherry mahogany back and neck (the only way a "Retro Custom 24" should look like :D), Zebra 85-15 pickups and tons of Mojo!
Here's my top, PS 5418. I wanted "thicker and deeper" flame instead of the regular thin flame one is used to see on PRS tops:

topPS5418.jpg

Here are the specs;

Custom 24 "Retro" Model

• “Pre-factory” Style Carved Figured Maple Top
  • McCarty Thickness Mahogany Back
  • 25” Scale Length
  • 24 Fret Mahogany Neck with “Original” Heel & Headstock
  • figured Maple Bound Brazilian Rosewood Fretboard
  • Mahogany Headstock Veneer
  • Green Ripple "Old School" Bird Inlays
  • "Pre-Factory" Headstock Eagle
  • PRS Tremolo
  • PRS phase III Locking Tuners
  • Nickel Hardware
  • Paisley Hardshell Case
  • “Pre-Factory” Pattern Regular Neck Profile
  • Uncovered 85/15 Pickups
  • Volume & Push/Pull Tone Control (Push/Pull Activates Sweet Switch), 3-Way Toggle Pickup Switch
Things that stick out to me:
-McCarty thickness...interesting on the custom
-Original heel
-85/15 curious to me....not what they are exactly, but how they compare to say the '85 original T & B's(weren't they hot?)
-Sweet switch employed into a tone knob...cool idea! 3 way toggle rather than rotary(taking the single coil-like sounds out of the equation?)

Precursor to the 30th anni CU24 or is this exactly that guitar?

Here is another 85/15 Brazilian neck PS...

available from GTRMAV at the Arlington (TX) guitar show this weekend.

1601107_10202943759819928_1578697744419720856_n.jpg

That top is redonkulous and I'm loving those inlays. Can't wait to see what happens at NAMM!

Do I ever want one o'those to go with my McCarty SC!

Anyone need a kidney or other body part?

Things that stick out to me:
-McCarty thickness...interesting on the custom
-Original heel
-85/15 curious to me....not what they are exactly, but how they compare to say the '85 original T & B's(weren't they hot?)
-Sweet switch employed into a tone knob...cool idea! 3 way toggle rather than rotary(taking the single coil-like sounds out of the equation?)

Precursor to the 30th anni CU24 or is this exactly that guitar?

Love the sweet switch idea! My guess is the mini-toggles give you 408/Paul's Guitar single-coil switching.

The '85 T&Bs are not as hot as some of the later pickups. The reissues I put in my CU24 are not as hot as the VB/HFS.

I was at the factory 2 weeks ago, and saw a bunch of these being built. I was sworn to secrecy, and of course honored that. ;) Glad to see the cat is out of the bag...

The 58/15's are PAF pickups between the 5708's and 5909's in output, and they sound great! My PS I spec'ed that day are going to have those pickups...

Back