They ain't making it easy, PS Custom 24 with 85-15 pups

Just when I think I have my PS build figured out they go and do this to me. I dont know what I am going to do.

custom24retroa.jpg

Here are the specs;

[h=2]Custom 24 "Retro" Model[/h]
  • “Pre-factory” Style Carved Figured Maple Top
  • McCarty Thickness Mahogany Back
  • 25” Scale Length
  • 24 Fret Mahogany Neck with “Original” Heel & Headstock
  • figured Maple Bound Brazilian Rosewood Fretboard
  • Mahogany Headstock Veneer
  • Green Ripple "Old School" Bird Inlays
  • "Pre-Factory" Headstock Eagle
  • PRS Tremolo
  • PRS phase III Locking Tuners
  • Nickel Hardware
  • Paisley Hardshell Case
  • “Pre-Factory” Pattern Regular Neck Profile
  • Uncovered 85/15 Pickups
  • Volume & Push/Pull Tone Control (Push/Pull Activates Sweet Switch), 3-Way Toggle Pickup Switch

Bitchin'!!! Can't wait to see what else they are gonna release...it just keeps getting better and better...!!

Ughhh....that's gonna put a dent in my savings...

I was thinking about how happy I am with the prs guitars I own but this is nuts! Kind of p!sses me off in a great way. Any specs on these new pickups?

Holy crap! The specs on that guitar ROCK! It's basically a 24-fret McCarty Trem. I own two 85s. The carve was a little sharper on them. And I love the Braz fretboard with maple binding. I wonder how much these will cost?

So no one is going to ask what is a 85/15 and what does it sound like?!?

Ha! Paul probably got his pickup winding machine out from'85 and the exclusive rights to the machine that made the wire! So it sounds like Marty through his giant speaker in Back to the Future of course!

Here is the "original headstock" picture. More info can be found on the private stock page. I think the 85-15 designation is a play on the 58-07's. I am guessing they made a subtle change for 2015 and to coincide with the anniversary reversed 58 for 85. Just my guess that's all. But I want to know more about them. That Paul is sneaky sneaky!

custom24retrof.jpg

Last edited:
Now that is nice!

Yes that is Purdy Purdy.

Back on those pups... In Les's thread 58-15's, I beleive MA Pete talked about Paul using some pickups that were 57-08s that were hotter than stock, but not as hot as 59-09s. I am wondering if that hotter 57-08 is the 85-15? Again just my deductive thoughts.

If it's a retro Custom 24, would 85 be the year 1985? Isn't that Chainsaws and Deep Dish pickups?

Back