There's a fundamental problem with PRS guitars.

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
I love guitars. I'm sure most of us here do. I love getting new guitars. I'm sure most of us feel the same way. My deal with Mrs Aahzz has always been that I can have whatever guitars I can swing by raising the cash myself, or trading, whatever - or if we have room in the family budget she has no issue with me using that. Used to be she was OK with 0% financing as well, but she's on a zero debt crusade, which I agree with.

When I left corporate life in 2013 to go self employed, I sold off everything but a Blacktop Strat, including several rather nice core PRSes. It was the right decision at the time, even if letting the Sunburst 22 go, in particular, hurt like hell. This year, I finally made some trades to get myself back into some nice PRS guitars - a 2010 Core Mira, 2017 CE 24, SE Hollowbody II, and an AX20E acoustic.

Here's the fundamental problem you've been waiting for: I want some new gear, just because, and I can't freaking bring myself to sell or trade any of them. I've put the Mira on Reverb and taken it back down 4 times. I just have to accept the fact that my current stable are all keepers, and wait for our Ebay sales (our primary source of income) to pick back up (I hate 2020).

Truly, it's a good problem to have - my guitars are all too dang good and make me too happy.

Pic for reference, in case you didn't see it in the family pic thread.

prsfamily.jpg

That is a problem, one I’m familiar with, thanks to Mrs. IRG. I sold off an old Agile over the weekend, all funds to pay off a small PayPal balance. Mrs. IRG was pleased. But I had been scheming, ordering a new PRS SE Santana Singlecut Trem thanks to my good friends at Sweetwater. 0% financing helps, hey, I’m borrowing their money to enjoy something now. I can always pay it off in advance, and the monthly payment is much less than my monthly Starbucks habit had been pre-Covid. Truth is, I’m so freaking bored I had to get something. Actually thinking of selling my only non-PRS guitar, a Tele for maybe another PRS, who knows.

so yes, I see your problem all too well. Very nice collection btw.

Opens case: I can’t sell
Looks at guitar: I can’t sell
Picks up guitar: I can’t sell
Feels guitar: I can’t sell
Smells guitar: I can’t sell
Looks closer at guitar: I can’t sell
Plays a note: Did I mention I can’t sell?

Pretty much my thought process for pretty much most of my guitars

Eeeeh just don't sell any and keep buying. That's what I do. I've been playing PRS guitars for 20 over years now and have bought on average a guitar a year.. so the only problem I have now is where to keep them all. I must be a hoarder because I can't part with any of them and I know I don't need 95% of the ones I have. I'm just your average bedroom/basement player with more dollars than sense it seems.

Very nice collection you have there.

I feel your pain. I did sell several guitars last year, but that isn’t as noble as it sounds because I was selling ones I didn’t play to condense them into a lower number of more expensive ones that I do play. I think it’s an improvement only guitar players understand. Less clutter, you know?

We must take our self-improvement where it may be found!

@Aahzz ,

Not everyone, including myself, can budget for new guitars whenever we choose. We're forced to make some difficult choices regards what one can save for, versus what is necessary to live.

Here's a solution that works: Perhaps once your bills are paid, you could open a savings account with the necessary minimum balance so that you could transfer a set amount each month to the account, or deposit extra money whenever you wish.

In time, the account will accrue enough savings so that you will be able to purchase that new guitar. (FTR, that's how I financed my recent SE HBII Piezo).

Best wishes, and only sell your guitar(s) if it's(they're) not receiving any playing time.

Been through the sell off. Built it back to where I've got more than I thought I would. At this point, I still want more!

I think it was @Aahzz's savings account that wasn't cooperating regards his desire for more guitars. Unless you've got unlimited credit, it may be unwise to spend what you don't have until you have enough to spend.

@Aahzz ,

Not everyone, including myself, can budget for new guitars whenever we choose. We're forced to make some difficult choices regards what one can save for, versus what is necessary to live.

Here's a solution that works: Perhaps once your bills are paid, you could open a savings account with the necessary minimum balance so that you could transfer a set amount each month to the account, or deposit extra money whenever you wish.

In time, the account will accrue enough savings so that you will be able to purchase that new guitar. (FTR, that's how I financed my recent SE HBII Piezo).

Best wishes, and only sell your guitar(s) if it's(they're) not receiving any playing time.

I have my "fun money" fund that is currently growing, I just get impatient....

I wouldn't give him that opportunity, Serg...;)

Although Rogaine has been known to solve many issues...

I don’t understand, why would someone want hairier in-your-pants-region?

I think it was @Aahzz's savings account that wasn't cooperating regards his desire for more guitars. Unless you've got unlimited credit, it may be unwise to spend what you don't have until you have enough to spend.

Isn’t that everyone’s issue?

I don’t understand, why would someone want hairier in-your-pants-region?

Isn’t that everyone’s issue?

I think the issue is hair. Seems many people are losing it.

And yes, @Aahzz made a good point. He can't buy a new guitar until he saves enough. Money comes and goes, much like watching grass grow. You gotta cut the grass if you desire a nice lawn. Same with saving money. Sometimes you gotta trim the excess until it'll grow again. It sounds counter-intuitive, but sometimes happiness resides in having a nice lawn, but being content with less money. Hope this doesn't sound weird to you.

Last edited:
Back