There is no "Best"

Rider1260

As I responded to a thread to I got to thinking about "Best" as in what is my best guitar or pedal etc and I have come to the conclusion that there is NO best at all !!!!
Do I have a BEST guitar - No as some can tell you I can't even pick my best guitar on a given day
Do I have a best Amp - Prob Not I used an 82 Mark II Boogie for 30+ years but recently I have tried and loved - Marshall , PRS , Bogner , Kemper , Orange
Do I have a best Pedal - Not at all hell I make dirt pedals and I can't pick which one I like best in fact at this moment my Mark V Boogie has caused me to stop using OD pedals for the moment.

What I thought of today is the forums and new guitars and amps and stuff and other peoples stuff make me want to play more and play better get out and jam maybe even play out live or record chase that tone I hear in my head.
So instead of thinking of best is it possible one should think of what would make you play more , practice more because in the end there is most likely only the best for that day ( or moment ) each new day can bring a new "Best"
it the chase that is most exciting ( IMHO ) and often the most rewarding

Well, I'm ALWAYS fooling around with my gear to make that one tiny discovery that makes my rig sound fantastic bUT that always wears off and I'm back to foolin around. I may NEVER have a rig I'm 100% satisfied with.

As I responded to a thread to I got to thinking about "Best" as in what is my best guitar or pedal etc and I have come to the conclusion that there is NO best at all !!!!
Do I have a BEST guitar - No as some can tell you I can't even pick my best guitar on a given day
Do I have a best Amp - Prob Not I used an 82 Mark II Boogie for 30+ years but recently I have tried and loved - Marshall , PRS , Bogner , Kemper , Orange
Do I have a best Pedal - Not at all hell I make dirt pedals and I can't pick which one I like best in fact at this moment my Mark V Boogie has caused me to stop using OD pedals for the moment.

So what you're saying is there definitely is a best pickup....

Obviously the next one you’re thinking of buying is going to be “the best”.

This sounds like the results of going to a family psychologist! “I have no favorites”...right. :rolleyes: How about, my favorite is the one that pi$$es me off the least for the next 20 minutes??!! I will admit, after 30 years of tone chasing and boiling my stuff down to what works together, I can get good results from almost any combination of guitars, pedals, amps, and cabs. The only thing that gets be miffed is when my SE245 responds and sounds better than my CU24 with a particular rig. :mad: I’m starting to call it my over-achiever.

:D

What I thought of today is the forums and new guitars and amps and stuff and other peoples stuff make me want to play more and play better get out and jam maybe even play out live or record chase that tone I hear in my head.
So instead of thinking of best is it possible one should think of what would make you play more , practice more because in the end there is most likely only the best for that day ( or moment ) each new day can bring a new "Best"
it the chase that is most exciting ( IMHO ) and often the most rewarding
Yeah, I'm with you. Before I got my Vox, I thought that would be the ultimate tone, but I ended up missing some of my other tones.

So, yeah, I'm fickle, too.

I don't have a favorite guitar but do have one or 2 I play more than others. I wouldn't say my empess compressor is my favorite pedal but it is on all the time. With my amps it depends on my mood.

Man, so true. A lot of it depends on what job needs to be done, or sometimes just what makes you feel right on a certain day. Sometimes I love a semi hollow, sometimes a P90, sometimes a Custom 24.

I was just pondering this Friday, a fellow on the PRS Guitar Owners Worldwide (Facebook group) said that the S2 #7 pickups were "the most lifeless pickups PRS has ever made" - that's not a verbatim quote, but that sums it up. It didn't really make me mad, and friend, if you're here, please don't take this personally, but I don't think that's really true. I've had those pickups in 2 guitars, and what it boils down to is that I really like them in one, to the point that I have no desire to change them even for a set of USA pickups, in the other guitar I didn't care for the bridge so I swapped it for a 59/09. It's all about context. I'm not saying this strictly as a defense of those pickups, my point is, there are so many variables in an electric guitar signal chain, you can't just write something off as "bad" without a very significant amount of testing. Another example, I don't like tubescreamers in my PRS amps, I like them more on a Fender amp.

To Boogie's point about his SE245 - ain't that just the way it goes sometimes? I've got a handful of guitars (not as nice as yours but not all SE's either) and yet 75% of my recording is done on an older SE CU24. Figures.

I always say, there is no best, just what works best for you. And that can vary by mood, need, project, etc.

And thank you for making sure it stays here since you now have one of the pieces I traded to Mike! Seems like I owe you. How about a barely functioning Harmonic Generator? :D

Word! Aww, what's wrong with it?

Word! Aww, what's wrong with it?

I think it needs a bath in contact cleaner. There are about two spots on the clean channel volume knob that I can get something out. The rest of the time it's scratchy static as I turn the knob. Haven't been able to get much more than that out of the lead channel. I haven't really tried to do anything to it yet.

I think it needs a bath in contact cleaner. There are about two spots on the clean channel volume knob that I can get something out. The rest of the time it's scratchy static as I turn the knob. Haven't been able to get much more than that out of the lead channel. I haven't really tried to do anything to it yet.

Aww man, now I feel like it is I that owes you something. :oops:

Back