There can be only one...acoustic version

veinbuster

Zombie Three, DFZ
Les made me do it.
Sunday I played my Angelus and was surprised how big a voice it had...until I realized the cable to my amp footswitch was loose so it wasn't really on mute. Oh well. Then I played the Tonare. For a couple of days I pondered the only one question and this morning made a short video - it ain't art, but I'll get to that later.

The Angelus is the last PRS I bought and it was all the fault of Private Stock Friday. The first public appearance of
CK_BirdsOfAFeatherInlayFromDoug.JPG

DFD hooked me up.
Madagascar Rosewood back and sides. Torrified Adirondack top. Peruvian Mahogany neck. Ebony/Koa fretboard. What's not to like.
CK_BirdsOfAFeatherTopFromDoug.JPG

CK_63PPlaysBirdsOfAFeather.JPG

Nice and compact and easy to play.

The Tonare is an early Collection, before the era of the electric/acoustic pairings. Pernambuco back and sides. European spruce top. Again Peruvian mahogany neck, this time with African Blackwood board. Not a combination you'll find at the local subway station.
CK_312CollectionTop.JPG

CK_302CollectionBack.JPG

CK_297CollectionFingerboard.JPG

Both guitars have good specs, but acoustically, the Tonare has a unique voice. It rings incredibly well with amazing note separation. When I pick it up, I kind of just want to play notes so that I can hear them ring. It almost forces you to tell a story with it.

The Angelus is a bit more a musician's tool. It gets all the notes, has good dynamic response but is a bit more willing to play an accompanying part. I would more likely pick this one up if someone was playing the piano.

The video is a bit over 4 minutes. Nothing fancy. I just play about a minute of 4 different snippets swapping between guitars about half way. One take, no patching the video (I'm to lazy for that).
- a bit of finger picking
- a bit of single note with a pick
- a bit of strumming with some dynamic variation
- a bit of the lower end, since I hadn't hit that yet
These are just the kinds of things I do when trying out a guitar. They are more geared to letting me hear how the guitar responds than to being particularly musical.
Which do you keep?

Just based on sound, I would keep the Tonare. If it was based on appearance it would be the Angelus. If it was up to me, I would keep both. You can never have too many guitars.:rolleyes:

Nice video btw
The Tonare looks nicer up close than shows in these photos, but it is subdued nice. The rosette is wonderful and fairly intricate on close inspection. The purfling is subtle and the knots are artful. It’s a bit like the rich kid going to public school with a nod to the upper class that the other kids don’t notice.

I have five too many guitars, but I kind of like them.

The Tonare looks nicer up close than shows in these photos, but it is subdued nice. The rosette is wonderful and fairly intricate on close inspection. The purfling is subtle and the knots are artful. It’s a bit like the rich kid going to public school with a nod to the upper class that the other kids don’t notice.

I have five too many guitars, but I kind of like them.
you can keep them at my house, i'm getting rid of 3 acoustics on Friday. :D

Both sound great, but the Tonare has a more full tone in the bass than the Angelus which helped with the single note clarity and separation. Angelus seems brighter overall, but somewhat expected with the slightly smaller size and cutaway. Both project very very well! I could see the Angelus possibly having better cut in a mix.

When I got the McManus, I was really impressed with the full range from bass to treble notes and the dynamics it had. It’s somewhat shocking to see how different your Angelus compares to your Tonare. But, how much of that is the Pernambuco back and sides versus Madagascar Rosewood?

Dang, now I want a Tonare! :)

Tonare. You can’t get that anymore unless you stumble across a used one. That and I think it sounds better from what I can hear.

Back