There’s Gotta Be Something To Talk About Here...

I prefer the early days of Metal, back when Jethro Tull won the very first "Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance, Vocal or Instrumental," Grammy award.:cool:

Locomotive Breath was heavy man!

I can't imagine what a JMOD does that a super reverb or deluxe reverb doesn't. I presume it's for a very narrow demographic, which is fine.

People said exactly that about Two-Rocks once, but if you’ve played through one you appreciate that they’re very different.

Having lived with 5 or 6 of them, as they came out with various iterations and models, was enlightening. I’m confident that Doug Sewell’s amps are also different and unusual, since I’ve got a couple.

I’m with ya though, Les, another crushing high gain amplifier is about the last thing on my wish list, hell, even your HXDA is too rockin’ for me.

I can get very lovely clean tones with it, but granted, I don’t use it much for that purpose.

I’d like to try a JMOD. That would mean Id have to rearrange my studio again to make room for it, and I’ve only recently found the perfect sonic location for the amps after years of trial-and-error. I suppose I could sell the Mesa, but I like that my son can cut tracks with it when he visits.

People said exactly that about Two-Rocks once, but if you’ve played through one you appreciate that they’re very different.

Having lived with 5 or 6 of them, as they came out with various iterations and models, was enlightening. I’m confident that Doug Sewell’s amps are also different and unusual, since I’ve got a couple.

I can get very lovely clean tones with it, but granted, I don’t use it much for that purpose.

I’d like to try a JMOD. That would mean Id have to rearrange my studio again to make room for it, and I’ve only recently found the perfect sonic location for the amps after years of trial-and-error. I suppose I could sell the Mesa, but I like that my son can cut tracks with it when he visits.

I read your perfect sonic location and this came to mind -

Ok, let’s talk about the Dallas and Super Dallas amps. What are they like? What would they compare too?

I’ve realised where Dave Grohl got the idea for his gigging wardrobe from too!;)

You’re such an influential character!

Ok, let’s talk about the Dallas and Super Dallas amps. What are they like? What would they compare too?
Other than similar preamps, these two models are quite different. The Dallas is a 6L6-based design with a nod toward the Fender camp...a big nod. It’s what a Custom Shop Fender creation could never be. Big, warm, 3D, articulate, and beautiful. I know 2 people with the 4x10 version and it could be the perfect amp. The Super Dallas is a whole other animal. EL34 power stage out of the HXDA (actually, the HXDA has the Super Dallas power stage :p) with the blackface preamp-thing that Doug does so masterfully. With lower master volume settings, I’d rate its clean tone as one of the best 3 I’ve ever heard. I like it better than the standard Dallas, honestly. But twist that master and you can hear that 427 triple-deuce induction power plant. With a 2x12, you can compete with any bass player for rumbling the stage! Speaker abuse at its finest, Grissom-style. Match it (either Dallas model, for that fact) with the right combination of pedals, and it can be anything you want it to be. And yes, when I put the Bogner Ecstasy Red pedal in front, it did beastly, diabolical things.

If the JMOD were an animal, what car would it drive?

GDZZClB.jpg

I was going to guess Delehaye but it looks too small.

It’s a Bugatti Type 57 Atalante (sometimes called ‘Atlantic’ but the correct name is Atalante). One of the rarest cars in the world. Only 700-ish were made from the mid-30s until the start of WW2, and many went missing. A sign of their rarity is that the going price is about $5,000,000.

The same car in racing trim was a Le Mans and Grand Prix winner in the 1930s. They were only available with custom coachwork, so most have a slightly different look from one another.

The modern Bugatti company is essentially a nameplate that was bought from the rights holders., and owned by VW. The original company went under during the 50s.

It’s a Bugatti Type 57 Atalante (sometimes called ‘Atlantic’ but the correct name is Atalante). One of the rarest cars in the world. Only 700-ish were made from the mid-30s until the start of WW2, and many went missing. A sign of their rarity is that the going price is about $5,000,000.

The same car in racing trim was a Le Mans and Grand Prix winner in the 1930s. They were only available with custom coachwork, so most have a slightly different look from one another.

The modern Bugatti company is essentially a nameplate that was bought from the rights holders., and owned by VW. The original company went under during the 50s.
Do you take yours out often?

Ok, here's a thought. When the Sonzera came out, it was getting great reviews all over the place. But it get's very little mention here. I know it's not an expensive MIA amp, but there has been lots of love for the amp in many areas. So for those saying "the Archon has too much gain and I can't get classic rock or blues tones because the gain comes on too fast," (and for those saying ths same about the MT15) well how about a Sonzera?

Ok, here's a thought. When the Sonzera came out, it was getting great reviews all over the place. But it get's very little mention here. I know it's not an expensive MIA amp, but there has been lots of love for the amp in many areas. So for those saying "the Archon has too much gain and I can't get classic rock or blues tones because the gain comes on too fast," (and for those saying ths same about the MT15) well how about a Sonzera?

I think I just might!

Read an article in GP yesterday. "10 Iconic Guitar Amps." They listed Vox AC30, JCM800 and Plexi Super Lead, Fender Twin, Deluxe and Bassman,etc. Then, at the end, added an "honorable mention #11 to the PRS Sonzera, saying "it's not old enough to be a classic but may be the best amp under $1000" and has two great channels and good reverb so it can do almost anything very well.

Read an article in GP yesterday. "10 Iconic Guitar Amps." They listed Vox AC30, JCM800 and Plexi Super Lead, Fender Twin, Deluxe and Bassman,etc. Then, at the end, added an "honorable mention #11 to the PRS Sonzera, saying "it's not old enough to be a classic but may be the best amp under $1000" and has two great channels and good reverb so it can do almost anything very well.

The only reason I haven't already bought a Sonzera is because I have a $4000.00 hand wired, American made PRS amp which will do classic rock and Texas blues just fine. If I had to start all over again from scratch, the Sonzera would certainly be at the top of my list of amps to acquire. But right now I have enough amps and between them they cover the entire spectrum.

Back