There’s Gotta Be Something To Talk About Here...

László

Too Many Notes
I mean, not being anti-metal, but maybe I should just get one of those damned JMOD amps simply to have something to talk about besides METAL amps! I’m just not really interested in METAL amps. I get that other people are, and cool, great, awesome, just not for me.

I’ve already done posts about the HXDA and DG30 to death.

“You mean death as in Death Metal, Les?”

“No, I mean the kind of death where they plant what’s left of you in the freaking ground. Plus I’ve been working on mixing my Americana rock song, and remixing it to sound better, more “label-ish,” and need to take a break from thinking about that with a nice amp discussion. Just not a metal amp discussion.”

“You don’t like listening to Metal, huh, Les?”

“Oh, I like it fine as long as it’s VAUGHN or one of my other buddies!!!”

Last edited:
Buy a SLO 100 and some pointy headstock thingy and be enlightened. I love me all types of tunez, and a lot of Metal. I also love me lots of other types of music. So, I'd have to say, if there's too much gain, you're too old! :D

Of course, this is all tongue in cheek....love ya, Les! The bottom line is, you should buy the JMOD cuz we're all waiting to hear someone we "know" put it though its paces.

Last edited:
hqdefault.jpg

I mean, not being anti-metal, but maybe I should just get one of those damned JMOD amps simply to have something to talk about besides METAL amps! I’m just not really interested in METAL amps. I get that other people are, and cool, great, awesome, just not for me.

I’ve already done posts about the HXDA and DG30 to death.

“You mean death as in Death Metal, Les?”

“No, I mean the kind of death where they plant what’s left of you in the freaking ground. Plus I’ve been working on mixing my Americana rock song, and remixing it to sound better, more “label-ish,” and need to take a break from thinking about that with a nice amp discussion. Just not a metal amp discussion.”

“You don’t like listening to Metal, huh, Les?”

“Oh, I like it fine as long as it’s VAUGHN or one of my other buddies!!!”

Get to know the PRS Dallas 50 and you will find enlightenment.

I know the MKV can be a Metal amp and the MKIV mode should be Metal enough for anyone but I just don't sound Metal no matter how much gain I have dialed in.
That said I played a real Klon pedal today :) liked it best with the gain maxed tone at mid or little below output to whatever you can stand. Funny still sounded like me ;)

Man, I’ve been really enjoying the “Custom 20” after being a Vox guy for years. I just got tired of not being able to get a thicker, chewy tone from the Vox. Beautiful cleans though, compliments from the alnico blue...not so much with the greenback.
I came close to getting a Mesa 5:25 plus...beautiful cleans, but the drive ranges seemed to have only a couple good settings.
Long story short...Custom 20 is so under the radar. Beautiful cleans...with a ceramic speaker (go figure) and without having to use a compressor. Nice!
I really don’t need to use my pedals to be happy (except effects), but I’m just addicted to collecting different drives...so it just makes it more fun.

I listen to a single song by Slayer or Bad Brains once a week just to keep my testicular fortitude.... I’m not particularly pleased about but...

Megadeth for me. And I’m very pleased about it. ;)

As to the OP, Les, if I had an HX/DA I’d be happy to talk more with you about it. I really did like my Custom 50 and think you would as well. Liked it well enough that I’d gladly try a 20, as the 50 didn’t seem to hit it’s stride tonally until just a little louder than I can get away with.

So, I hate to be just another statistic or another topic that you (maybe many) are tired talking about, but after playing my latest guitar through one of my amps this weekend, I feel the need to start another thread...

But, if you get conversation going about a Dallas, Super Dallas or other PRS amps that I don’t know anything about, trust me, I’ll read every word of every post in the thread.

I tend to play all over the map. But I generally want an amp that will go to metal if I want, but then let me back off and play blues or classic rock. I would say that modern rock is probably where I put in the most time.

So an HXDA is not really going to be my speed, but I would likely play that sort of music at some point through my Archon. Guess I could do a demo that focuses more on the bluesy side. Maybe some single coils.

I know DTR tends to pay his Archon with quite low gain.

I tend to play all over the map. But I generally want an amp that will go to metal if I want, but then let me back off and play blues or classic rock. I would say that modern rock is probably where I put in the most time.

So an HXDA is not really going to be my speed, but I would likely play that sort of music at some point through my Archon. Guess I could do a demo that focuses more on the bluesy side. Maybe some single coils.

I know DTR tends to pay his Archon with quite low gain.

The thing that's tricky about that for people who don't have one, is that I got as low as 8:00 on the gain knob last night and it's still more gain than a JCM800. At 7:30 its probably close. So when I got bluesy with the Archon, I go gain way down, but I go 25 watt mode (which is Triode on the 50, so you won't have this option) and presence down below noon, then dial from there. Single coils also tame it down of course. I tend to use a bit more gain for blues than say SRV. I'm more in the Trower area.

I’m with ya though, Les, another crushing high gain amplifier is about the last thing on my wish list, hell, even your HXDA is too rockin’ for me.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on a J-Mod because there are a bunch of things about it on paper that I don’t like, and I love to be proven wrong about things. I think you’d go deep with it and figure out what else is going on with it besides the whole JM thing. I found your numerous posts about the DG30 really helpful in hindsight after I accidentally wound up with one.... not that I want to wind up wanting an amp as expensive as a J-Mod... sh!t, I’m having enough of a dilemma wondering what the DG50 would be like.

...I’m having enough of a dilemma wondering what the DG50 would be like.
To quote Doug Sewell quoting David Grissom about the DG50, “that amp scares me”.

If the power is available that Doug describes, I would never have a venue where I could play it properly. The Super Dallas is half the power and I can destroy furniture in a bar. You, otoh, play much bigger gigs and could put up yellow caution tape to keep the vocalist from careening into the blast zone.

To quote Doug Sewell quoting David Grissom about the DG50, “that amp scares me”.

If the power is available that Doug describes, I would never have a venue where I could play it properly. The Super Dallas is half the power and I can destroy furniture in a bar. You, otoh, play much bigger gigs and could put up yellow caution tape to keep the vocalist from careening into the blast zone.

Not lately...I’ve gone full dad-band and my next gig is at a bowling alley. :oops:

The thing about the DG30 is, I’ve just recently began to feel that it’s a tiny bit under powered for the way I’m using it (with the preamp volume low and the master cranked), so I’d love to give the 50 a spin “if” it could keep the same tone and be a bit louder.

I’m with ya though, Les, another crushing high gain amplifier is about the last thing on my wish list, hell, even your HXDA is too rockin’ for me.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on a J-Mod because there are a bunch of things about it on paper that I don’t like, and I love to be proven wrong about things. I think you’d go deep with it and figure out what else is going on with it besides the whole JM thing. I found your numerous posts about the DG30 really helpful in hindsight after I accidentally wound up with one.... not that I want to wind up wanting an amp as expensive as a J-Mod... sh!t, I’m having enough of a dilemma wondering what the DG50 would be like.

I can't imagine what a JMOD does that a super reverb or deluxe reverb doesn't. I presume it's for a very narrow demographic, which is fine.

I can't imagine what a JMOD does that a super reverb or deluxe reverb doesn't. I presume it's for a very narrow demographic, which is fine.

Look, I said that same sh!t about the DG30 before I had one. Ask Bodia, JFB, or Rider about the nasty stuff I said about it, I fully intended to dump that amp onto some sucker and turn it into a guitar.

Having just recorded a bunch of guitar and auditioning some nice maps against the DG30 with a whole band of cheapskate-buster @ss musicians who hands down all could tell the difference when compared... I'm sure the J-Mod could do some things that a Fender amp doesn't.

That's like saying a JCM 900 does the same thing as an Archon. Real clean guitar tones shouldn't be an afterthought or a compromise.

The thing about the DG30 is, I’ve just recently began to feel that it’s a tiny bit under powered for the way I’m using it (with the preamp volume low and the master cranked), so I’d love to give the 50 a spin “if” it could keep the same tone and be a bit louder.
*THIS* is why I love the Super Dallas. It is not a DG30, but it’s not what Doug described as the DG50, either. It’s BIG but not insane, which has kept me from getting me booted from a lot of venues. However, when I say big, I mean BIG. IMO, It’s better to have an amp that you’re always fighting to keep under control than one you can’t push to the edge. You can quote me on that.

Back