Theoretical Switching Question

tolm

Yeh - that thread title will get lots of reads (not!) but I wasn't sure where to post this so hopefully not too inappropriate.

Anyway, I've been giving some thought lately to the old 'what would be my ideal PRS?' question and - whilst I'm not currently sitting on the cash I would need for a PS order it's nice to dream. So, one theoretical Korina Body, Figured Koa Top, Rosewood neck and three narrow 408 pickups later I started thinking about the switching configuration(s) ... and came up with the following outlandish proposal:

What if you wired up the pickups with a 5-way switch for choosing pickups but also a 3-way toggle for controlling single-coil / humbucker or a 'hybrid' mode of combinations?

Toggle Switch : Up (Single Coils)
- 5-way at pos. 1: Bridge Single Coil
- 5-way at pos. 2: Bridge and Middle Single Coils
- 5-way at pos. 3: Middle Single Coil
- 5-way at pos. 4: Middle and Neck Single Coils
- 5-way at pos. 5: Neck Single Coil

Toggle Switch Middle (Hybrid)
- 5-way at pos. 1: Bridge Humbucker
- 5-way at pos. 2: Bridge Humbucker and Middle Single Coil
- 5-way at pos. 3: Middle Humbucker
- 5-way at pos. 4: Middle Single Coil and Neck Single Coil
- 5-way at pos. 5: Neck Humbucker

Toggle Switch Down (Humbuckers)
- 5-way at pos. 1: Bridge Humbucker
- 5-way at pos. 2: Bridge and Middle Humbucker
- 5-way at pos. 3: Middle Humbucker
- 5-way at pos. 4: Middle and Neck Humbucker
- 5-way at pos. 5: Neck Humbucker

Just a random guy on the internet so not expecting anyone to go into verse-and-chapter on this but does anyone know if this would even be possible? Clearly three coil-split mini-toggles would be way simpler but where's the fun in that?! :)

This is very old post, but I'm going to give it a reply for fun. It's a very interesting question. I would add an option for bridge and neck for both humbucker and single coil. And, for fun, add another toggle to change the single coil split to a tap. You could get fancier with it by allowing combinations of tap and split coils.

Back