The X-Ray Thread

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
I'd like to rebuild an authoritative thread showing the hollow cavities of various models (proto, PS, or production).

I once had an X-Ray of my Sig LTD but lost it. I am sure someone out there has a copy.

Please post images you may have of PRS X-Rays along with any details you might have about the model.

Limited Edition: Cedar top, Tune-o-Matic Bridge...

286838947.jpg

I'll try to find the others I have...

Jamie

No, towards the end of the Singlecut life, we started doing the channels for weight relief. But as far as I know, when the SC245 and SC250's came on board, the weight relief stopped. There maybe a handful of weight relieved SC245 or SC250's with channels, but not many( if any).

The Tremonti was never weight relieved per Mark's request.

Shawn@PRS said:
No, towards the end of the Singlecut life, we started doing the channels for weight relief. But as far as I know, when the SC245 and SC250's came on board, the weight relief stopped. There maybe a handful of weight relieved SC245 or SC250's with channels, but not many( if any).

I've got a Sunburst 245 that's barely 7.5 lbs, seems extremely light. Since my x-ray machine is on the fritz, is there an easy way to tell if it has channels? (I don't know if I could hear them tapping around the top or not?)

dprather said:
Shawn@PRS said:

I've got a Sunburst 245 that's barely 7.5 lbs, seems extremely light. Since my x-ray machine is on the fritz, is there an easy way to tell if it has channels? (I don't know if I could hear them tapping around the top or not?)

I'm not sure about the "Sunburst" series. I'l have to check into that.

Would it be possible to get the chambers partially filled with some pebbles or beads? This way I wouldn't need to reach for one of those egg shakers to play some percussion - I could shake my guitar in front of the microphone.

hippietim said:
Would it be possible to get the chambers partially filled with some pebbles or beads? This way I wouldn't need to reach for one of those egg shakers to play some percussion - I could shake my guitar in front of the microphone.
Now there's a visual. :shock:

:lol:

hippietim said:

That's what headbangers do, just with their skulls... Lots of room in those craniums apparently. :lol:

Shawn@PRS said:

Shawn, I'm confused, but I'm sure you can help by answering this question:

Alot of us have been operating under the assumption that all SC245s were weight relieved with the exception of special runs that were specifically noted as being solid/non-relieved such as the Willcutt's Wood Library run. Your statement above implies that the SC245s were in fact not weight relieved except for the "not many if any" handful. Can you verify the weight relief issue for SC245s. Were they, or were they not?

Last edited:
And you know this how?
Currently own three of them (SC245's) and I've played four or five others. Every one exhibited
the diffused/laid-back midrange qualities associated with this construction method.

Contemplated the possibility that, through sheer coincidence, each of the handful of
weight-relieved examples that were produced went through my hands. While I suppose that's possible, it's certainly not likely.

I'm pretty sure George is right based upon our collective historical understanding, but it would be nice if Shawn could clarify his earlier remarks on the topic, which began with the words "as far as I know".

Currently own three of them (SC245's) and I've played four or five others. Every one exhibited
the diffused/laid-back midrange qualities associated with this construction method.

Contemplated the possibility that, through sheer coincidence, each of the handful of
weight-relieved examples that were produced went through my hands. While I suppose that's possible, it's certainly not likely.

Well, I admire your Eric Johnson-like ability to discern the subtle tonal differences in a guitar that has a few channels cut into it, but I'm more inclined to listen to what Shawn is telling us here, and I await his 'official' response to this matter.

Back