The waiting game...who’s playing?

Doesn't matter how good (or bad) you are. There's always room for you to get better. No matter how much you improve there's always somebody else who is better (and always somebody else who is worse).

The whole "Once I can play _______ I'll be good enough to deserve <insert dream guitar here>" is a fallacy. Life's too short. If you can get the guitar without undue hardship on the rest of your family, then buy it. Having a great guitar feels GREAT, it makes you want to play more, it makes you want to practice more.
I get what you're saying, and you're right. That's just an excuse. When I was 19 (more than 20 years ago) I bought a Buffet-Crampon R13 clarinet. It's the PRS McCarty 10-top of clarinets, and priced similarly. I was an instrumental music ed major and my clarinet teacher told me I needed the best tools. And he was absolutely right. A professional carpenter wouldn't use no-name tools, so I shouldn't either. I played the hell out of that thing and kept it maintained. Replaced the pads every couple years, kept the silver keys polished. It was great, and I miss that thing. I sold it five or six years ago when I had a pile of debt. Sold it for more than I paid for it because in 1996 dollars I got it for $1500. The new buyer got a $1000 discount and I pocketed some cash (and it was my cash; I worked my tail off that summer to afford it). Wish I could have bought 3 or 4, since it was an investment at that point. I must have played 20 instruments that day, and that was one of the coolest experiences of my life.

One day I'll go for a core PRS, I'm sure. But that day isn't today. ;)

I was in constant state of "order and wait" when I was playing Jackson/Charvel. At one point the CS had a 2 year waiting period. The USA Select models (similar to PRS Core) were "batch built" based on colors and specs. This was all before FMIC - during the Akai-era - when a USA made guitar with high quality parts was $1299 - $1499 depending on color, with a case. The CS was a lot more open to doing pretty much anything you wanted, so I could order "non-standard" stuff without the "Masterbuilder" fee FMIC put into place.

Anyway, it was easy to go to my local dealer, where I spent A LOT of money, and do CS orders for low down, lol. Essentially, I would spec a guitar and make payments on it over the two years. It made for great NGDs, but I'd often not care about the specs anymore by the time I got the guitar. It was easy to be a "kid in the candy store", but be VERY "bummed" when the guitar actually arrived. I'd flip them at a loss - I mean, who gets excited about someone else's "dream guitar", right???

Where does this put me with PRS? I buy used, lol. I don't have to wait and since there aren't too many options for PRS (unless you go PS) I don't feel I am missing anything. Luckily for me my Jackson/Charvel days taught me to be REALLY sure about what I want before I order something "custom". The day will come where I do a PS, but for now Reverb.com is my friend, lol.....

Last edited:
I'm waiting until I'm not such a mediocre guitar player. Doesn't stop me from visiting the PRS or Sweetwater sites and daydreaming, though. LOL
Holy crap, why didn't I think of this reason??? It's much better than just admitting the truth.... new truck, new car, new camper in the last 12 months = no new PRS guitars, unless I sell a few others first.

A bad thing? Oh HECK NO! This is like being told that Julie Bowen and Sofia Vergara are both getting divorced. And once they are divorced, they are both going to marry you.

Aside from the amount of guitars I could buy with their incomes, that sounds awful. F@cking two women in my life? Exhausting. I want one of their ex-husbands so I can tap out early.

And you try not to think about all the guys who are holding you up with their Silver Sky orders

I told y’all from the beginning that John was gonna ruin all our property values.

...hard shell cases, winged tuners and the autographed commemorative pair of forum Speedos. :p

Now you’re speaking my language.

I've got an Artist Package 24-08 on order. Last I heard it should be in mid-August. Much better than I was initially quoted so I'm hoping it holds!

I've got an Artist Package 24-08 on order. Last I heard it should be in mid-August. Much better than I was initially quoted so I'm hoping it holds!

ACK!! When did you order it?

I ordered an Artist Package 24-08 last November. I've been told this October (11 months). I'm HOPING for something shorter, but I've heard nothing definitive.

ACK!! When did you order it?

I ordered an Artist Package 24-08 last November. I've been told this October (11 months). I'm HOPING for something shorter, but I've heard nothing definitive.
I ordered in March & was told to expect a 12 month wait. But I got a call a couple weeks ago that said now they were estimating mid-August. Hopefully there's a mess of 24-08s about to roll out of the factory & we're both in it!

Aside from the amount of guitars I could buy with their incomes, that sounds awful. F@cking two women in my life? Exhausting.

I was thinking the same thing, until I realized that the “amount of guitars I could buy with their incomes” thing was pretty awesome, because it might include amps.

So I changed my mind. I’ll take both, please. :)

“The sex with two women would be pretty good, too.”

“For me, sure. For them, well, highly doubtful.”

I'm just waiting on a cabinet.

And I really have a stupid reason. I could go buy any one I want. But I received a "bonus gift card" from work and GC was the merchant I chose.
But alas, the PRS cab I had my eye on has sold and the card hasn't arrived yet.

So i guess my waiting is self imposed, over a few dollars....
(Along with the MT 112 not being available).

Oh I agree.

This year I have ordered:
Custom 24
MT 15
Silver Sky
and just this week a 594 Singlecut

So far I have the SIlver Sky and the head of the MT 15. I am really learning what patience is!

Actually, I just realized that I too am playing the waiting game. The version I'm playing though, is where I'm waiting to have enough money to buy another PRS. Slightly different, (much less popular here) version of "The Waiting Game." :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What is this "need" thing you keep referring to?

Yeah, I know. It ain’t about “need,” and it ain’t about “deserve.”

I’d feel less guilty if I needed it, let’s put it that way instead. ;)

Do you have to want to collect guitars before you’re a collector, or does it just sneak up on you? Because I don’t want to collect guitars; I never think about ‘adding guitars to my collection’. I don’t want to collect them all, I don’t want everything in a series, I just want to play various PRS models.

This is very scary territory for me. :eek:

Last edited:
Doesn't matter how good (or bad) you are. There's always room for you to get better. No matter how much you improve there's always somebody else who is better (and always somebody else who is worse).

The whole "Once I can play _______ I'll be good enough to deserve <insert dream guitar here>" is a fallacy. Life's too short. If you can get the guitar without undue hardship on the rest of your family, then buy it. Having a great guitar feels GREAT, it makes you want to play more, it makes you want to practice more.

This is a direct quote from the “Enablers Handbook” - $12.99 from all good book shops. Available on Kindle download!;)

Do you have to want to collect guitars before you’re a collector, or does it just sneak up on you? Because I don’t want to collect guitars; I never think about ‘adding guitars to my collection’. I don’t want to collect them all, I don’t want everything in a series, I just want to play various PRS models.

I’d describe you as “dabbling” if that makes you feel any better!:D

It just happens. Do recall when I first joined up and started a thread about how we should all try and only play one guitar for awhile? That was stupid.

Do you have to want to collect guitars before you’re a collector, or does it just sneak up on you?
I think a lot of it comes from passion for these guitars, to browse and enjoy looking at them online. Then you see something, as from then on want and need is blurred. That’s really where it happens. The internet has really changed things.

Back