The Vintage Yellow Thread.

I used to be jealous, but they opened up distribution for Founder's in my neck of the woods not long ago. :cool:
Breakfast Stout game on! Love that stuff.
Stout fellow here, too! Old Rasputin rides high on my list. Sorry for the sidetrack. Beer and scotch are close seconds to guitars and amps.
Vintage yellow rules! (back on track)

Here are the VYs I've owned over the years. All now gone.

1985 Custom - one of the first 50 factory made

1986 Custom - serial in the 500s

1986 Custom - serial in the 400s.

1988 Sig - super, super guitar. Very amber but 100% VY.

1988/89 Custom - '88 in neck pickup pocket, '89 on headstock

The '88 Sig is / was my all time fave PRS, moronically traded for another PRS. I'm still plotting how to get it back.

Last edited:
Here are the VYs I've owned over the years. All now gone.

1985 Custom - one of the first 50 factory made

1986 Custom - serial in the 500s

1986 Custom - serial in the 400s.

1988 Sig - super, super guitar. Very amber but 100% VY.

1988/89 Custom - '88 in neck pickup pocket, '89 on headstock

The '88 Sig is / was my all time fave PRS, moronically traded for another PRS. A bit too flash for me aesthetically (I'm not super keen on lots of flame, which sort of goes with the territory with Sigs) but it played beautifully with almost no relief in the neck and a super low action. I'm still plotting how to get it back.
That’s some line up! Very impressive!!

I too lust after vintage/santana yellow. As long as it was a nice strong yellow, not a slightly amber one. It would almost complete my rainbow spectrum of PRSi - I also require a strong orange, like a creamsicle.

I intend to go to Experience this year, and really hope to land a nice quilted VY with maple neck and fretboard "something". Either that, or a fade/dragonsbreath finish with ebony fretboard or even more exotic wood like cocobolo.

Since I just blew any GAS money I had available on that JA-15, I need to stay off Reverb and eBay lest I stumble across temptation, and blow it before Exp 2018.

Here my Custom 22 VY 10 top, with the sweetest rosewood fretboard I have ever seen...

wRrduh.jpg

Here's a little video I just made for you guys.

Merry Christmas!

Fantastic - thank you so much for posting this. I love the older guitars and these two are about as old as the 'modern' design goes. And so many other artifacts and guitars in the archive - and I though you burnt anything with wings and sweet-switches to heat the factory. I'm going to watch it again now - I really, really enjoyed that:) Actually I feel a bit like Howard Carter probably did when he first saw Tutankhamun's treasures. Thank you.

I'd have to agree that there is something very special about Vintage Yellow. Here is my 2008 Custom 22 10-top with a rosewood neck and natural back. Sorry for the cr@ppy iPhone pics....

VRK2INc.jpg

W4hCC9t.jpg

eNtHi3x.jpg

And since it's that time of year....(those are Christmas lights)

CAmmvkG.jpg

And just for grins, here are a couple of family shots...

ZritwXS.jpg

bQ15n0p.jpg
x6U0Ioz.jpg
eHy8zrg.jpg

Hey guys, I'm glad you enjoyed the video. My first idea was to take a photo of the vintage yellow '84, but then I thought a video might be more interesting.

The factory closes down the week between Christmas and New Year's, so after tomorrow, we all get to spend some quality time with our families (and guitars)!

Back