THE VENTURES

Can't say that I got my start listening to the Ventures, but I certainly love listening to them these days and playing some of their great surf tunes.

Count me in. The very first thing I learned on guitar was "Pipeline."

Life was twangy for me in 1966.

Last edited:
The ventures copped pipeline from the CHANTAYS,who wrote it and recorded it.....WALK don't run was the biggy for the ventures!!!!! Can you tell me who wrote it and originally played it; HINT....his name is one that we all use alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started out with Beatles tunes, but I remember having a "Play with the Ventures" instructional record back in the 60's. I believe "Pipeline" was on it.
Do you guys recall a 1967 tune by the Arrows named "Blues Theme" ? It kind of reminds me of the Ventures stuff. I played it back then and thought it was way cool.

The ventures copped pipeline from the CHANTAYS,who wrote it and recorded it.....WALK don't run was the biggy for the ventures!!!!! Can you tell me who wrote it and originally played it; HINT....his name is one that we all use alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chet Atkins is who you're thinking of, but Johnny Smith wrote the original. I knew the Chet Atkins part but had to look up Johnny Smith.

I haven't posted this picture in a while. Does this look like we could have been influenced by The Ventures? I'm the middle guitar player ... in 1962.

IMG_0153.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jxe
I haven't posted this picture in a while. Does this look like we could have been influenced by The Ventures? I'm the middle guitar player ... in 1962.

IMG_0153.jpg

I love that! My band didn't look much different in 1965, except that I played keys.

wilerty--that's a great pic! Love the matching Jazzmaster and Bass VI, and the blonde amps. I started playing in '62 with folk music because that's what my teacher taught, but I wanted to play electric from the start. It took me a couple of years to get that first electric, but one of the first tunes I learned on my acoustic, along with Tom Dooley and the like, was Wipeout, and then Walk Don't Run. I still love that stuff...

Great music, my dad turned me on to them well before I started playing. Can't say it had anything to do with me playing guitar, but great songs either way.

Back