The unofficial Silver Sky thread

...and single-handedly killing that Oliphant, Legolas takes it.

03c372ad9f274800058fdff5941c7542d8dfb2e29fde12ca14aa510386a84b90.jpg

The problem with a Mexican strat is that you have to change the tremolo,pickups,nut and tuners to have it sound and work like a strat.

^This. My Road Worn 50s Strat is one of the best Strats I have ever played... after I changed just about everything on it! American Vintage Trem, new pickups, new wiring harness, fret & nut work (courtesy John Ingram). Out of the box? No freakin' way.

Last edited:
Guys, I played one!! It was at the PRS clinic at Ryan Fowler's Guitar Experience in Towson, Maryland. It was a really great guitar. The 7 1/4 radius was very easy to play. Did not fret out. It felt like a really good 60's reissue strat but with PRS's own take on it. If a 594 is a better version of a Les Paul, this is a better version of a strat. It sounded like an old strat but it still had that very smooth PRS quality to the tone. Overall, an excellent guitar

Guys, I played one!! It was at the PRS clinic at Ryan Fowler's Guitar Experience in Towson, Maryland. It was a really great guitar. The 7 1/4 radius was very easy to play. Did not fret out. It felt like a really good 60's reissue strat but with PRS's own take on it. If a 594 is a better version of a Les Paul, this is a better version of a strat. It sounded like an old strat but it still had that very smooth PRS quality to the tone. Overall, an excellent guitar
Jealous! Cool for you!!

Awesome! That's great to hear!

This is what I would expect. Good to hear!

Still no formal answer for the origins of the name. :(
OK. I've sleuthed out the solution.
1. Number the english alphabet 0...25
2. Map said set by Modulo 12
3. As we are musicians, and we simplify everything (tonal, and major, at least) by showing examples in C major. Let C=0 for the musical alphabet, in this case
4.We get: Silver Sky = {6,8,11,9,4,5} {6,10,0} or {F#,G#,Bnat,Anat,Enat,Fnat} {F#,A#,Cnat)
So, it seems we have the subject for a modern fugue, the Silver Sky Fugue, which will be on John Mayer's next recording.
See below
lc9cqfT.jpg

Or am I confusing John Mayer with the late, great, Milton Babbitt????
:rolleyes:

Has anyone confirmed availability with their dealer? I was told that the initial distribution plan is somewhat random to keep certain dealers from getting all the stock. I'm curious when those of who have pre-ordered expect to take delivery. I'm hoping to get an Onyx one soon!

The Silver Sky looks great, and even the 7.25 radius sounds cool to me, but I'm not sure about those small frets and have no idea about how the neck feels. For those that have got their hands on a SS, is the neck on the slim, medium or chunky side? Also, are the small frets comfortable or make things like bends difficult?

I took my Silver Sky back to the dealer this morning, I couldn't do the tiny frets and the radius. I don't think I'm the right type of player for that guitar. BUT, what a killer guitar! That tone!

I took my Silver Sky back to the dealer this morning, I couldn't do the tiny frets and the radius. I don't think I'm the right type of player for that guitar. BUT, what a killer guitar! That tone!

:(

I recently purchased a silver sky. The pick guard is not the same white as the pick ups and knobs. The pick guard has somewhat of a yellow tint. Is this common or is the pick guard a blemish?
Can't say I've ever heard of this issue. Had mine for a couple of months and zero change on it. I wish my teeth were this white!:rolleyes:

Back