The unofficial Silver Sky thread

The more info I get, the more worried I am... I cant do D necks (cause my hands arent that big) and I read that the neck is 'between a C and a D' and with wide shoulders.

:(

I'm just gonna have to wait until I can play one. Maybe in the meantime, one of you will get yours and will post a comparison between the neck shape and the typical PRS necks?
Maybe it's a C# neck?

The S2’s are made in Stevensville by men and women young and old, including the scarf joint, although that’s a highly specific part of the guitar to wonder about its country of manufacture. I mean, how often does a scarf joint get made overseas? Is it that often?

Edit: actually, technically it’s in the bolt-on neck series, not an S2.

Last edited:
The S2’s are made in Stevensville by men and women young and old, including the scarf joint, although that’s a highly specific part of the guitar to wonder about its country of manufacture. I mean, how often does a scarf joint get made overseas? Is it that often?

Ibanez comes to mind with scarf joints.

Or Taylor.... which is about as good as it gets

(Edit) when the forum was still being whacky yesterday, this post was SUPPOSED TO quote the above post of KJ asking about Scarf neck joints.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the concerns people have with the scarf joint?
I have used many guitars with scarf joints and had no issues whatsoever...
I would go as far as to say that if G has thought of that in the 50's we wouldn't have so many neck brakage in LPs....

Ibanez comes to mind with scarf joints.
Yeah but that’s the whole guitar.

No, seriously— PRS’ specialty is scarf joints. I would say >50% of their guitars are scarf jointed. PRS record for broken necks is probably below average. It’s not a 335. But any neck will break if it is hit hard enough and/or fast enough.

Last edited:
... I'm not going to consider purchase until I play one due to 7.25" radius and smaller frets. I'm sure it's great,...

Honestly, I've owned a 62 reissue for over 20 years, with a 7.25" radius and vintage frets, and I enjoy playing it as much as any other guitar I own. I'll pick it up right after playing my McCarty, and I certainly don't think to myself "Damn, this is hard to play." I just play it. :) Unless all you want to do is shred (not the target customer for the Silver Sky), I think people are making a bigger deal about the frets/fretboard than is necessary. Other than that, shoot me, but I think it sounds like any other half-decent S-type guitar.

Back