The Unofficial Official NF3 Thread

TFC

That guitar really tied the room together
I think it's about time that the best model PRS has ever released* had its own thread. Post photos of your NF3 here. Seen a famous player playing one? Post a photo or video. Have a question about this short-lived but long-loved guitar? Ask away. Anything related to the NF3 is welcome. I know there are lots of NF3 fans here, so please contribute.

I'll start with two photos. First is my favorite guitar of the many that have passed through my hands over the years. I played a sunburst NF3 at Guitar Center and fell in love with it, but I could not afford a new one. I eventually found a used one in my favorite NF3 color, seafoam green. I got it about 10 years ago and is the first of a few NF3s I've owned. The neck and pickups are just wonderful. I still play and gig it often.

DTJ4o8t.jpg

This second photo is of some other guy playing one.

big_67153746-3E5A-45CC-BDFD-F06836ACA7FA.jpeg

When Rush's Time Machine tour came to Baltimore in 2011 Alex Lifeson met with PRS and picked up an NF3. At that Baltimore show and the second leg of the tour in Europe he used the guitar for Time Stand Still. I think it replaced his old CE24 that had the Evans pickups in it.

Help spread the NF3 love. What you got?

* Results may vary. Those varying results would be wrong.

I'd be really interested to know what tonal differences between the NF3 and SAS NF are.

The troubling thing is I'd have to get the NF3 to know for sure and those don't move around often.
I had the exact same question a while back and started a thread. I ended up getting a SAS NF and compared the two. The thread is here:

I had the exact same question a while back and started a thread. I ended up getting a SAS NF and compared the two. The thread is here:

This pretty much aligns with my SAS experience and videos I've seen of NF3s.

Other than Jimmy Herring and John Mayer [edit: Alex Lifeson too], the only other guitarist with any level of fame that I've seen play an NF3 live is Jason Bieler from Saigon Kick. They're a band that I always thought should have been more popular than they were. They may have been one of the many bands to have the misfortune of starting to make it big right when Nirvana and grunge hit. They were probably best known for their ballad from their second album in the early '90s, but I always thought their first album was great and packed full of excellent songs. I saw them once when they were still a local band and they were fantastic. Jason obviously didn't play an NF3 back in the day but I've seen several from more recent times where he's playing one. Enjoy!

Last edited:
You need to host the image somewhere else and link to it here. You can find some info in this thread:

Let us know if you need help. Would love to see your NF3!

You need to host the image somewhere else and link to it here. You can find some info in this thread:

Let us know if you need help. Would love to see your NF3!
I think that worked....at least I can see it now.

I love the neck. Pattern regular and satin?!?!? It's perfect. The pickups are great. Loud as a humbucker but more clarity and you can still get a good "quack" out of positions 2 and 4. The only issue seems to be some nut binding. The hang tag says 10s, I run Stringjoy 9.5s and was getting some ping when using the bar. Some graphite lube fixed that issue.

Back