The Unofficial 2020 McCarty 594 Love Thread!!

Have fun today

Thanks, Tom!

As you can see from that thread, we had a great time! :)

So to tie that experience back into this thread, what did we learn about the 2020 McCarty 594s? A *LOT*!

We had 6 2020 594s there, 1 SC and 5 DCs, plus a 2020 McCarty and a 2020 DGT, the "Holy Grail" 2016 Private Stock SC 594 Prototype, and a Private Stock DC 594 Hollowbody. (We also had an SC 594 Semi-Hollow and a DC 594 Soapbar that we didn't get to, SOOO many guitars!) Findings from my perspective:

Indeed the 2020 Core 594s are the very best and most consistently great 594s ever. The Nitro and the TCI pickups really up these to a new level of greatness. I have said it before and will say it again here - I used to perceive a huge different in tone and consistency of the Private Stocks versus Core/WL 594s. With the 2020s, that gap is narrowed to almost nothing! The delta now is really just the hand selected woods, tops, inlays, etc. and custom options (which is still pretty special!) But these 2020 Core guitars are IMO as good as Private Stocks on average, and more consistently great than ever. We played them all back to back, and they were also a touch different, but all consistently great. Not a single one in the bunch that made you think "that one isn't as good as the others".

Of the 6, 4 had the new tuners, and two had the Phase III's. There was no discernible difference in tone due to the tuners, that I could detect. That said, I really have become accustomed to the look and vibe of the new tuners. Visually, I greatly prefer them now. It really matches with the vintage vibe of the guitar. Not a big way one way or the other for me, Phase IIIs with the knobs changed to Ivory are fine with me too. If/when I spec a Private Stock 594, I will go for the new vintage ones to go along with the vintage vibe, no question.

The TCI pickups are fantastic. The split tones are better than ever. Never once on any of the guitars did I say "that bridge pickup doesn't have enough output". Which I found interesting, that wasn't the case for the 2016-2017 Core/WL guitars, particularly the DCs. Whatever they did, these new ones rock!

(On a side note, the 25" McCarty has regular 5815s, not the LTs, because it was originally ordered that way. I am now reminded how great those are, higher output but still very vintage, not too hot, still vintage voiced PAF pickups. Back in the 2016-2017 timeframe, I tried all the PRS PAFs in the 594s (5909s, 5310s, 5708s, 5815s), and 5815s were my favorite. I picked up a set of 5815s on eBay last month as well, so I have the ability to throw those in a 594 at some point to have one with slightly higher output PRS PAFs, which is great!)

The 2016 SC 594 Prototype was still deemed to be the king of my 594 collection, still the "Holy Grail" guitar for me. It bested the new 2020 SC 594, which is amazing in its own right. It was helpful to have others in the room to help compare them all with the great amps we had there that day, and to have someone else play it and just listen rather than playing and trying to listen at the same time. Nice to have a Holy Grail guitar! :)

Of my 2020 DC 594s, the one seems to be my favorite so far:

jiO5O9I.jpg

rXAkNfS.jpg

It is lightweight at 7 pounds 6 ounces, but still very resonant in a cool unique way (I have found that sometimes the lighter ones lack some mojo, but sometimes they are also amazing). Visually I love the vintage vibe with the Cherry Back and Neck and the McCarty Sunburst finish, and also the vintage tuners and subtle but killer 10 Top.

I need to make sure to keep an eye on Mike/Rider1260, he has declared his affection for this one as well!! ;)

haMNY8r.jpg

How about everyone else out there? Any new 2020 594s, or thoughts, discussions, questions?

It’s great to hear all this insight and excitement over the 2020s. I’d have been bummed if they messed with such a great layout and came up with a worse guitar for the gamble. I, for one, am not at all offended that y’all are so excited with your guitars! I’m glad for you. I’ve been playing my “old” PRSi all week, and they sound as incredible as they always have. There’s no harm to my tone in you being excited about yours!

In addition to my never ending hunt for the HB 594, I’ve added a Soapbar 594 to the want list... and there’s a black one in Austin for just over $2K. So tempting. My appetite for pre-2020s is undiminished. Please continue to enjoy the new ones!

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s great to hear all this insight and excitement over the 2020s. I’d have been bummed if they messed with such a great layout and came up with a worse guitar for the gamble. I, for one, am not at all offended that y’all are so excited with your guitars! I’m glad for you. I’ve been playing my “old” PRSi all week, and they sound as incredible as they always have. There’s no harm to my tone in you being excited about yours!

In addition to my never ending hunt for the HB 594, I’ve added a Soapbar 594 to the want list... and there’s a black one in Austin for just over $2K. My appetite for pre-2020s is undiminished. Please continue to enjoy the new ones!

Rick:

You have two very special versions of the 594 on your "want" list!!!

I really love my 2018 DC 594 Soapbar that I picked up last month, it plays and sounds terrific!

mK6lTDo.jpg

I haven't played it as much over the last few weeks with the focus on the 594Fest get-together, so thanks for reminding me about that one! ;)

And the 594 Hollowbody is an AMAZING model. I am blown away by the tones of this guitar, both clean and with gain. Cool and unique version of the 594!!

R0fWtwH.jpg

Another one that I need to put the 2020s down for and play instead! So many awesome 594 choices these days.... :)

-Pete

Rick:

You have 2 very special versions of the 594 on your "want" list!

I really love my 2018 DC 594 Soapbar that I picked up last month, it plays and sounds terrific!

mK6lTDo.jpg

I haven't played it as much over the last few weeks with the focus on the 594Fest get-together, so thanks for reminding me about that one! ;)

And the 594 Hollowbody is an AMAZING model. I am blown away by the tones of this guitar, both clean and with gain. Cool and unique version of the 594!!

R0fWtwH.jpg

Another one that I need to put the 2020s down for and play instead! So many awesome 594 choices these days... :)

-Pete
I can see you need more room for amps and people at your next gear fest. Being the true friend and co-PRS custodian that I am, I hereby offer to store both of those guitars for you, indefinitely and free of charge, as an act of benevolence, and in the interest of providing much needed available square footage in your environment. This offer is permanently open.

Those are both jaw-dropping guitars, Pete. Seriously, I have room. :)

I can see you need more room for amps and people at your next gear fest. Being the true friend and co-PRS custodian that I am, I hereby offer to store both of those guitars for you, indefinitely and free of charge, as an act of benevolence, and in the interest of providing much needed available square footage in your environment. This offer is permanently open.

Those are both jaw-dropping guitars, Pete. Seriously, I have room. :)

A very kind offer, Rick! I will let you know if I start running out of room here. It certainly could happen... :)

I have to say Pete this might be the first 594 that I could see owning ( the Black single cut that Brian had was close )
I'm a sucker for the red back and yellow front :)

Thanks, Tom!

I need to make sure to keep an eye on Mike/Rider1260, he has declared his affection for this one as well!! ;)

jiO5O9I.jpg

rXAkNfS.jpg

haMNY8r.jpg

MIne is a 2019 with Wildwood spec (Braz, TCI pickups and Nitro over CAB) in Northern Lights. Yes I'll leave it out of the case and play it a lot every day.

2020-02-21_05-30-05 by jcolmn, on Flickr

Wow, looks amazing! Love that top and finish. Great chocolatey dark Brazilian!

That is a great Wood Library run from the guys at Wildwood!

I love reading this stuff.

I have two of the ‘18 594s, and they’re not nitro, but I still like them. In the spirit of full disclosure, I still love my nitro-finished McCarty Singlecut, and find it wonderful. I don’t directly compare them to see which is ‘best’, since they’re each great on their own. There’s no mileage in driving myself nuts that way. All are keepers.

However, as I’ve mentioned before, I’ve got that 2020 McCarty on order (could be a 2021 by the time it arrives). I’m after that Nitro tone. I actually WANT the vintage style tuning machines.

Yup. Another one came today. :)

The problem is the cases. Where the heck do I put all of these cases?

I love reading this stuff.

I have two of the ‘18 594s, and they’re not nitro, but I still like them. In the spirit of full disclosure, I still love my nitro-finished McCarty Singlecut, and find it wonderful. I don’t directly compare them to see which is ‘best’, since they’re each great on their own. There’s no mileage in driving myself nuts that way. All are keepers.

However, as I’ve mentioned before, I’ve got that 2020 McCarty on order (could be a 2021 by the time it arrives). I’m after that Nitro tone. I actually WANT the vintage style tuning machines.

I am really digging the vintage tuner knobs! I think they look so "right" on these guitars, both the SC and the DC. They feel really solid as well.

The problem is the cases. Where the heck do I put all of these cases?

Simple for me. I keep my guitars in ‘em.

However, my wife isn’t all that into looking at them (I keep the guitars upstairs, because I don’t trust basements, and yeah, I know I’m crazy, but there isn’t anything I want to do about it ;)).

Wardrobes, closets, under beds, overhead racks, and when that space is gone, there’s always the floor. :p

When I saw an email that said "11Top has replied to your thread" - I was 100% certain it was going to be words of wisdom about what to do with all the cases! :)

(Wow, that's a lot of Lester cases!)

Simple for me. I keep my guitars in ‘em.

However, my wife isn’t all that into looking at them (I keep the guitars upstairs, because I don’t trust basements, and yeah, I know I’m crazy, but there isn’t anything I want to do about it ;)).

If I kept them all in the cases, I wouldn't play them all - it would be too much work getting them out! ;)

If I kept them all in the cases, I wouldn't play them all - it would be too much work getting them out! ;)

Seriously? I must be Mr. High Energy, then!

Which is far from the truth, since in reality I’m Mr. Just Let Me Go To The Hospital So I Can Get Some Rest, Dammit!

I carry my guitars, in their cases, from my den into the hallway, down a flight of stairs, into my studio, set the case on a piece of furniture, switch on the amp, and while I let it warm up on standby, I plug a cable into the pedalboard, take out the guitar, put a strap on it, plug it in, tune the guitar, re-tune to stabilize things, select the amp on the switcher box, take the amp off standby, set the amp controls, and if I don’t change the settings on a pedal, play.

And usually I do fuss with the settings on various pedals to accommodate the guitar/amp/room combination, the piece I’m working on, etc.

When I’m done, I reverse the process, and of course carry the guitar, in its case, back upstairs.

And I do this despite the fact that I’m old enough to be your great-great-grandpa.

So let’s not get into this “too much work” stuff, K? ;)

“Geez, Les, how old ARE you?”

“No one knows. All the records were destroyed in The Flood.”

“What flood?”

“Dude, read your Old Testament for goodness’ sake.”

“Wait...how did you survive.?”

“On the Ark.”

“What? Noah and his family were the only humans spared. How did you manage to get on board?”

“I bought a gorilla suit.”

“Whaaat? Were there any other stowaways?”

“Two buddies of mine got on board in a 2-man Woolly Mammoth costume.”

“But Woolly Mammoths are extinct.”

“The female Woolly Mammoth wasn’t into the guys in the costume.”

“But gorillas are not extinct.”

“A gentleman never tells.”

Last edited:
“Geez, Les, how old ARE you?”

“No one knows. All the records were destroyed in The Flood.”

“What flood?”

“Dude, read your Old Testament for goodness’ sake.”

“Wait...how did you survive.?”

“On the Ark.”

“What? Noah and his family were the only humans spared. How did you manage to get on board?”

“I bought a gorilla suit.”

“Whaaat? Were there any other stowaways?”

“Two buddies of mine got on board in a 2-man Woolly Mammoth costume.”

“But Woolly Mammoths are extinct.”

“The female Woolly Mammoth wasn’t into the guys in the costume.”

“But gorillas are not extinct.”

“A gentleman never tells.”

So you're saying evolutionists have it wrong? Gorillas are descended from Les? It's the only possibility - there were only two on the boat, and by all reports, Les does not have a uterus, ipso bismol, Les is the father of the first post-flood generation of gorillas.

Well, it happened today. I brought home a 2020 594 DC 10 top in McCarty burst. My other two cores are artist package, but the top on this new 594 might be the nicest top.

I’ll get some pics later, but this is an amazing guitar. I have a Hollowbody II AP, a Custom 24 AP and now the 594. Whoa, the 594 is really, really good!!

Back