The Unofficial 2020 McCarty 594 Love Thread!!

Back at home base.
WrqoGdZ.jpg

Looks awesome! Killer top.

That Charcoal finish is SO awesome on the 594s.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just noticed something every interesting with regards to the 2020s, and particularly the 2020 SC 594 Prototype.

If you guys recall, Howard Leese said something in the Tim Pierce host video in October 2019 about the 2020s having new bridge tweaks that increased the downward pressure at the bridge, that Paul said improved the tone. They were playing Prototypes.

Here is my 2020 Prototype:

xVQQhj8.jpg

LP3s2hs.jpg

3tQtYmH.jpg

See the angled edge where the string hits the bridge? That is very different from 2019 and previous models, those are a long flat surface where the string hits the bridge. But also my 2020s don't have the same bridge as the prototype, they have the same style as the 2019 and previous, as seen here on my 2020 SC 594:

PS8Knb1.jpg

So maybe they didn't end up going with that one for some reason? Or maybe they will eventually implement that bridge version, at some point within 2020? Maybe it takes time to ramp that part to production volumes.

All I know for sure is that the 2020 Prototype guitar sounds AMAZING! :) I think it is cool that I have one that is different in this way...

Just noticed something every interesting with regards to the 2020s, and particularly the 2020 SC 594 Prototype.

If you guys recall, Howard Leese said something in the Tim Pierce host video in October 2019 about the 2020s having new bridge tweaks that increased the downward pressure at the bridge, that Paul said improved the tone. They were playing Prototypes.

xVQQhj8.jpg

LP3s2hs.jpg

3tQtYmH.jpg

See the angled edge where the string hits the bridge? That is very different from 2019 and previous models, those are a long flat surface where the string hits the bridge. But also my 2020s don't have the same bridge as the prototype, they have the same style as the 2019 and previous, as seen here on my 2020 SC 594:

PS8Knb1.jpg

So maybe they didn't end up going with that one for some reason? Or maybe they will eventually implement that bridge version, at some point within 2020? Maybe it takes time to ramp that part to production volumes.

All I know for sure is that the 2020 Prototype guitar sounds AMAZING! :) I think it is cool that I have one that is different in this way...

Cool observation! My guess is the thicker/wider saddles assist in the strings clearing the bridge on their way to the stop bar. Do the sharper saddles on your proto force the sting down at a steeper angle and contact the back of the bridge?

xVQQhj8.jpg

LP3s2hs.jpg

3tQtYmH.jpg

PS8Knb1.jpg

That’s a really interesting observation, Pete!

Cool observation! My guess is the thicker/wider saddles assist in the strings clearing the bridge on their way to the stop bar. Do the sharper saddles on your proto force the sting down at a steeper angle and contact the back of the bridge?

The angle looks about the same. I guess the point is if the "knife edge" of the prototype bridge is contacting a lot less string than the little slab of the previous 594 bridge, that the pressure is greater at that point of contact?..

Clearly a sub par example that needs to be moved on ASAP (.....pm me the link)

Sorry, that one is mine already. It ROCKS!

That said, there are some nice 2020 SC 594s in the Charcoal finish out there, check Reverb..

xVQQhj8.jpg

LP3s2hs.jpg

3tQtYmH.jpg

PS8Knb1.jpg

The angled bridge saddles on your prototype look almost identical to the ones on my 1978 Les Paul Deluxe.

So maybe Gibson was onto something, even in the 70's with their otherwise compromised LP Deluxe design...

Of course, I presume that perhaps the saddles have been like that on LPs for a while, even before the 70s.

Two things........

I have "crossed the Rubicon" on my 594 SC decision. I will 100% buy one. I am going to sell my high end Fenders (Strat and Tele) to get it.

I'm curious if I should only go for the new 2020 models with the TCI, or open up the search to any year. Could someone with one of each chime in on what you hear tonally that's different?

I want the TCI, but there are so many fantastic looking 2019 and older models available. I also prefer the phase III tuners versus the new vintage on the 2020 models. So, I can be swayed to look for an older model if the tone is virtually identical to the new TCI process. For reference purposes, I have a 24-08 with 85/15 and an HBII with 57/08s

Two things........

I have "crossed the Rubicon" on my 594 SC decision. I will 100% buy one. I am going to sell my high end Fenders (Strat and Tele) to get it.

I'm curious if I should only go for the new 2020 models with the TCI, or open up the search to any year. Could someone with one of each chime in on what you hear tonally that's different?

I want the TCI, but there are so many fantastic looking 2019 and older models available. I also prefer the phase III tuners versus the new vintage on the 2020 models. So, I can be swayed to look for an older model if the tone is virtually identical to the new TCI process. For reference purposes, I have a 24-08 with 85/15 and an HBII with 57/08s

There is something "different" about the 2020s. I have had 5 between 2016 and 2019, and the one I have with the 2020 updates blows them out of the water. Ok, maybe "blows them" is a little over the top. I will say that the new one feels, and sounds, "better" to my ears. I no longer have any of the previous 5, but there will be some info added after tomorrow's 594 gathering at Pete's. I would say the nitro finish is a big part of that "difference". It is the same finish they are using on Private Stocks.

There is something "different" about the 2020s. I have had 5 between 2016 and 2019, and the one I have with the 2020 updates blows them out of the water. Ok, maybe "blows them" is a little over the top. I will say that the new one feels, and sounds, "better" to my ears. I no longer have any of the previous 5, but there will be some info added after tomorrow's 594 gathering at Pete's. I would say the nitro finish is a big part of that "difference". It is the same finish they are using on Private Stocks.

+1000 to what Bodia says! ;)

Not to try to outdo Bodia's 5, but my count shows I owned 26 594s in the 2016-2017 timeframe, 18 Core/WL and 8 Private Stocks (including the Original Feb 2016 GOM DC 594). Wow, how did THAT happen??

Here in 2020, I picked up two more Pre-TCI Private Stocks, and also several 2020 Core SC and DC 594s, plus a 2020 DGT and McCarty. The difference in my opinion is huge, I think mostly from the combination of the Nitro and the TCI pickups. Back with the 2016/2017 guitars, to me there was a huge difference between the feel and tone of the Private Stocks and the Core/WL guitars, I think it was mostly the Nitro. As always, some of the Core/WL ones were better than others, the luck of the draw on how the woods come together. But none really came anywhere close to the better Private Stocks.

Flash forward here to 2020, and *all* of the 2020s I have tried so far have been consistently amazing. If the 2016/2017 Core/WL guitars were 70% as good on average as the Private Stocks, these 2020s are 90 to 95% as good on average.

I apologize to two sets of people in making those statements - (1) folks who own 2016-2019 594s, if that makes you bummed about your 594s. You shouldn't be, the 594s were the best Short Scale PRS Guitars ever made in the history of PRS, for that target of a vintage voiced short scale PRS. They just made the 2020s a little better. And (2) I do feel bad for the dealers who may have a harder time selling the many 2019 and previous 594s they have in stock, with all the buzz with the 2020s. That goes with the territory in being a PRS dealer though, Paul and team have always been innovating and marketing the new latest and greatest best thing ever. I think the 2020s create two marketplaces for new 594s for buyers - pre Nitro/TCI ones that can be had at an extra discount, and the shiny new 2020 toys that won't be discounted as much.

So my sincere apologies for offending anyone with my comments - my intent is positive, and I am pretty sure many of you here count on me to provide feedback based on my unique approach of consuming A LOT of PRS Guitars in the spirit of the tone chasing, experimenting and experiencing.

In addition to declaring the Core 2020 594s being very close to Private Stock 594s in tone and feel, I am starting to make another discovery that (to quote Mike Cantrell) is giving me a bit of an "Identity Crisis". In the 2016-2017 594 timeframe, I became very enamored with the SC 594 over the DC 594. In a *BIG* way, partly fueled by the fact that the 2016 Prototype was the best sounding and feeling, playing and sounding guitar I had ever owned or experienced. But even after that I preferred most of the Core/WL SC 594s to any of the DCs, more often than not. At the time, that was a pretty big shift for me, as the DC 245 had been my number one guitar from 2009-2016, and while I liked the SC 245s, I only dabbled in them, by favorite was still the DCs. (The Private Stock McCarty Singlecut model in 2014+ did already start to shift me in that direction though. Also the shift was somewhat enabled by the fact that my band from 2009 forward dissolved, so I wasn't playing out anymore.)

So here is my "other new discovery" that I am coming to realize - with the 2020s being improved with the Nitro finish and the TCI pickups, I am noticing that (for me at least) there seems to be less difference of tone and mojo between the DCs and the SCs.

I had been the self-proclaimed SC 594 Club President since the 2016 Prototype arrive in Oct 2016 (a couple of months before the SC 594 was officially announced, which was cool). But something strange has happened to the mix within my collection this year, do you guys notice the trend?

MMzb5CK.jpg

I may have to step down as SC 594 Club President and start and lead a "2020 594 Club".. :)

Not to try to outdo Bodia's 5, but my count shows I owned 26 594s in the 2016-2017 timeframe, 18 Core/WL and 8 Private Stocks (including the Original Feb 2016 GOM DC 594). Wow, how did THAT happen??

Here in 2020, I picked up two more Pre-TCI Private Stocks, and also several 2020 Core SC and DC 594s, plus a 2020 DGT and McCarty. The difference in my opinion is huge, I think mostly from the combination of the Nitro and the TCI pickups. Back with the 2016/2017 guitars, to me there was a huge difference between the feel and tone of the Private Stocks and the Core/WL guitars, I think it was mostly the Nitro. As always, some of the Core/WL ones were better than others, the luck of the draw on how the woods come together. But none really came anywhere close to the better Private Stocks.

Flash forward here to 2020, and *all* of the 2020s I have tried so far have been consistently amazing. If the 2016/2017 Core/WL guitars were 70% as good on average as the Private Stocks, these 2020s are 90 to 95% as good on average.

I apologize to two sets of people in making those statements - (1) folks who own 2016-2019 594s, if that makes you bummed about your 594s. You shouldn't be, the 594s were the best Short Scale PRS Guitars ever made in the history of PRS, for that target of a vintage voiced short scale PRS. They just made the 2020s a little better. And (2) I do feel bad for the dealers who may have a harder time selling the many 2019 and previous 594s they have in stock, with all the buzz with the 2020s. That goes with the territory in being a PRS dealer though, Paul and team have always been innovating and marketing the new latest and greatest best thing ever. I think the 2020s create two marketplaces for new 594s for buyers - pre Nitro/TCI ones that can be had at an extra discount, and the shiny new 2020 toys that won't be discounted as much.

So my sincere apologies for offending anyone with my comments - my intent is positive, and I am pretty sure many of you here count on me to provide feedback based on my unique approach of consuming A LOT of PRS Guitars in the spirit of the tone chasing, experimenting and experiencing.

In addition to declaring the Core 2020 594s being very close to Private Stock 594s in tone and feel, I am starting to make another discovery that (to quote Mike Cantrell) is giving me a bit of an "Identity Crisis". In the 2016-2017 594 timeframe, I became very enamored with the SC 594 over the DC 594. In a *BIG* way, partly fueled by the fact that the 2016 Prototype was the best sounding and feeling, playing and sounding guitar I had ever owned or experienced. But even after that I preferred most of the Core/WL SC 594s to any of the DCs, more often than not. At the time, that was a pretty big shift for me, as the DC 245 had been my number one guitar from 2009-2016, and while I liked the SC 245s, I only dabbled in them, by favorite was still the DCs. (The Private Stock McCarty Singlecut model in 2014+ did already start to shift me in that direction though. Also the shift was somewhat enabled by the fact that my band from 2009 forward dissolved, so I wasn't playing out anymore.)

So here is my "other new discovery" that I am coming to realize - with the 2020s being improved with the Nitro finish and the TCI pickups, I am noticing that (for me at least) there seems to be less difference of tone and mojo between the DCs and the SCs.

I had been the self-proclaimed SC 594 Club President since the 2016 Prototype arrive in Oct 2016 (a couple of months before the SC 594 was officially announced, which was cool). But something strange has happened to the mix within my collection this year, do you guys notice the trend?

MMzb5CK.jpg

I may have to step down as SC 594 Club President and start and lead a "2020 594 Club". :)
I love posts like this - always nice to read about the observations of others on their journey. Mine took me to the short scale SC + Braz neck + Trem world, though I still love my DC594 and P22 with Pernie neck. It’s great to know my hunches about the 2020 improvements (nitro, TCI) seem to be quite real with those that have already taken the 2020 model plunge!

Back