The Unofficial 2020 McCarty 594 Love Thread!!

...goes off thinking where to hide new guitar purchases from wife.

Oh that's easy...Hide them behind all the clothes and shoes in her closet(s) with the price tags still on them, in case of no tags...take a pic and send it to @sergiodeblanc he'll be able to tell you which ladies fashions are now "faux paux". Boom!!! New 594!

Ya know..."Fight the enemy where they aren't" kinda deal.;):cool:

Last edited:
Okay, so back in 2016 I started the Unofficial McCarty 594 and Singlecut 594 threads, and they did great over time. It was a great place for all things 594 as things progressed an many folks out there acquired their own, after the Feb 2016 GOM Private Stock run of 26 DC 594s, and later the Oct 2016 arrival of my SC 594 Prototype, the November launch of the SC 594, and the SCs starting to show up in dealers in early 2017. That's where it all started, what an adventure that his been! Look at it now, the 594 has been one of PRS's most successful models EVER, and 2020 is taking that to a new level with a cool S2 lineup, and significant changes/improvements to the Core 594s! So I thought it would be great to start a thread here to capture the story of the 2020 594 adventures with everyone.

I will start! :)

1G8850F.jpg

LdZAQEL.jpg

bbkF9fs.jpg

Earlier this month, I got a call from CME saying that this 2020 Prototype SC 594 was off the charts awesome. I drove down *THAT DAY*, played it, and was blown away - bought it on the spot.

It is the very best playing and sounding non-Private Stock PRS I have played or owned. It is pretty close to being as good as my Holy Grail guitar, the 2016 Private Stock SC 594 Prototype. How could this be? ;)

A reminder on changes for the 2020s:
  • Nitro Finish
  • New Vintage Tuners
  • New TCI'ed Pickups (and a new Spec for the SCs - 5815 LT+'s - a hair brighter and a bit more output, optimized for the SCs)
  • Some tweaks to the bridge (per the Howard Leese/Tim Pierce Video)
So then I scooped up another one, I had to know if other ones out there were as consistently good.

h8KjWKD.jpg

0m90jqV.jpg

0m90jqV.jpg

To my surprise, this one was just about as great!! PRS is really onto something with these improvements to the 2020 McCarty 594s. (By the way, the 2020 "regular" 25" scale McCarty sounded just as amazing as the 594s in the Howard Leese / Tim Pierce video. I bet those are just as consistently good. The 594 scale and 2 Vol 2 Tone setup is just more my thing.)

So the next thing I really need to know is - are the 2020 DC 594s just as amazing as the SC 594s?? :)

As you guys out there get your own 2020 594s, please post about them here! (After the obligatory NGD thread, of course!) Also for those considering one, let's discuss and share thoughts here...
Man, that charcoal is more or less my dream 594! Knowing me, I’d likely swap out the bridge pickup for a 5708 or 5909 and ruin the whole TCI deal, but that guitar is the straight dope to me. Feel free to donate it to me if you decide to get rid of it! :D

Man, that charcoal is more or less my dream 594! Knowing me, I’d likely swap out the bridge pickup for a 5708 or 5909 and ruin the whole TCI deal, but that guitar is the straight dope to me. Feel free to donate it to me if you decide to get rid of it! :D

You’re effing killing me here. The SC has my heart though.

Thanks, guys! Those are some nice complements.

As I track daily what new 2020 594s are showing up at dealers out there, I am amazed at how many are Charcoal ones with killer tops. They are all so great that I come close to convincing myself I need more in the same finish - just in the spirit of comparing them! But that would just be silly I guess. :)

Great finish for the SC and DC 594s!

How about this configuration - DC 594 with the DGT Electronics Layout, and the PRS Stoptail. Maybe throw in a mini-toggle for the coil tap instead of a push pull. That would be cool!
Been there, done that! Just waiting for the guitar to get completed.....in my case the toggle switch remains on the horn though (I’ll explain why when the guitar is done) :D

Been there, done that! Just waiting for the guitar to get completed.....in my case the toggle switch remains on the horn though (I’ll explain why when the guitar is done) :D

Interesting! I can't wait to see/hear more about it! ;)

594...nitro...LT 58/15...yes, yes, and yes...

It's banged up a bit from table tennis with Tosca during studio breaks.

3RelLbtdHzxMwZLLmNCWF4qr3OxBC7yBqDug83WdgELIsy107h5J7GhXRJQH34N6SqklDIkxEppjoCNF-KLTkkKKaZtJY9cygr-xEvXdHsBS4vTR-HMgYU1MP-BgFPCiGF9tlyqxjHAe8hYwOzlTc-rFI0yNzXYjY7ArWT7ThC9Mh-qowd-8I5UoPZnQMBOu1eO8qVhVkvhbA54u7doL2xvDlQd5SHf2lEIDBpuF9ubZLd5pkpPOwsD-PDKh2gi4e0qa5Tsnf1V3OeUoXsp_JrhoaPDTsi6t046lKUAic-vWcmy7MxOGUgS3HlfGg81OR7bvNjEKqiOy_hzMG8qp3BdDlTCtqA13cT6N2DdVJP6l_u2TJaleITRjfQl9aHRQL1toqfK2K2edVHnW4sjcz1vLq8YZHyEsReAA48QcVPbmSFXyVLvhsRWf6nfuTETTHLov6LBr_7-QnrOvXCaof03y-WZ-Gc1TEjvwnnUHKIJOo9qqm2ZtjnKG63POYtPJvBUpqgvGmNCf9EIZJcaNpphdM0wP6tldQ8qPcbyqqeHXUA3GOMZoUNTJV32bZ3_fpIAgke8NIVxSUT3pgGr_5FfpfLzX7d64i8mZQxlLnFm4LL5Y5Odog-Ax0IBy4uPNDuwuH1ib4BEoXWNk07GSe-F5KAWDE4uxdfJmDN_TurH5kx2f2rNreBz8tWi7Zf2aCjhWg7dg8cNas6IyNZ7XfkoNJVOroM_0jaQJ4bd0FblOsfeKFQ=s824-no

Wow. That is just AWESOME!! SC 594 Envy! :)

Okl I gotta ask the learned minds here, I'm 73 yo and I havent gigged in some time. So now I play mostly for myself. I have my 98 McCarty and my Texas special strat that Ive had for years. I have a custom shop Fender ProSonic and a Dr Z Maz38.
So I have some decent stuff. BUT I have my eye on a 594 SC with tci+
Etc.
So should I buy it????. I'm not going to live forever but I'm in decent health and I frequent the gym regularly.
Opinions welcomed!

Okl I gotta ask the learned minds here, I'm 73 yo and I havent gigged in some time. So now I play mostly for myself. I have my 98 McCarty and my Texas special strat that Ive had for years. I have a custom shop Fender ProSonic and a Dr Z Maz38.
So I have some decent stuff. BUT I have my eye on a 594 SC with tci+
Etc.
So should I buy it????. I'm not going to live forever but I'm in decent health and I frequent the gym regularly.
Opinions welcomed!
I am firmly in the DO IT camp.
Don't over think it.:D

History repeating itself :)

I’m just happy I’ve got a 2017, regardless of the hype I think the 2020 594s are a downgrade overall. If I were to do it all again in 2020 I’d take a mint used 2017 over a new 2020 model any day.

My personal preference is rarely affected by marketing hype. The more they hype something the more the alarms start going off on my BS detection radar :)

Back