The Unofficial 2020 McCarty 594 Love Thread!!

can you give you take in the graveyards and their difference from a regular 594?

Howdy, I have not had the pleasure of playing a non-graveyard 594.

At least for these two, I did not have the immediate urge to switch the electronics.

To my amazement, the much larger Pattern Vintage profile is far more comfortable for me than Pattern Regular.
I never liked the Wide Fats and I REALLY like Pattern Regular.

The graveyards have a 58/15 LT at the neck and 58/15 pups at the bridge. To my ears the LT´s are horrendous in CU24s.

An unplugged CU24 is playable for about 5 minutes before you look for an amp.

With the graveyards it goes for hours without wondering where is the amp.

PRS puts so much effort into the guitar yet absolutely SUCK at electronics- Sloppy soldering cheap components.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before (I'm particularly lazy tonight), but does the 594 scale length, by any mathematical hocus pocus, makes the intonation all over the neck better than on other guitars? I'd like to spend a lot less time tuning while recording, sometimes it drives me nuts.

Hi, am a new forum member and this will be my first post. I don't own a PRS but am seriously considering purchasing one in the next day or so. Have enjoyed the discussion and am particularly interested in your thoughts regarding any differences in tone between your 2020 594 SCs and DCs? I ask because I gave an opportunity to purchase a 2020 594 DC 10 top for $3,200 (it's a demo model and has buff through along the top edge). Otherwise it's stunning. I like the fatter sounding tones I have heard on YouTube clips of the SC versus DC. No clips exist comparing the 2020 models
That said do you perceive this difference in your 2020 SCs vs DCs?

I appreciate you taking the time to ponder my question and am eager to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
George

Thanks, Tom!

As you can see from that thread, we had a great time! :)

So to tie that experience back into this thread, what did we learn about the 2020 McCarty 594s? A *LOT*!

We had 6 2020 594s there, 1 SC and 5 DCs, plus a 2020 McCarty and a 2020 DGT, the "Holy Grail" 2016 Private Stock SC 594 Prototype, and a Private Stock DC 594 Hollowbody. (We also had an SC 594 Semi-Hollow and a DC 594 Soapbar that we didn't get to, SOOO many guitars!) Findings from my perspective:

Indeed the 2020 Core 594s are the very best and most consistently great 594s ever. The Nitro and the TCI pickups really up these to a new level of greatness. I have said it before and will say it again here - I used to perceive a huge different in tone and consistency of the Private Stocks versus Core/WL 594s. With the 2020s, that gap is narrowed to almost nothing! The delta now is really just the hand selected woods, tops, inlays, etc. and custom options (which is still pretty special!) But these 2020 Core guitars are IMO as good as Private Stocks on average, and more consistently great than ever. We played them all back to back, and they were also a touch different, but all consistently great. Not a single one in the bunch that made you think "that one isn't as good as the others".

Of the 6, 4 had the new tuners, and two had the Phase III's. There was no discernible difference in tone due to the tuners, that I could detect. That said, I really have become accustomed to the look and vibe of the new tuners. Visually, I greatly prefer them now. It really matches with the vintage vibe of the guitar. Not a big way one way or the other for me, Phase IIIs with the knobs changed to Ivory are fine with me too. If/when I spec a Private Stock 594, I will go for the new vintage ones to go along with the vintage vibe, no question.

The TCI pickups are fantastic. The split tones are better than ever. Never once on any of the guitars did I say "that bridge pickup doesn't have enough output". Which I found interesting, that wasn't the case for the 2016-2017 Core/WL guitars, particularly the DCs. Whatever they did, these new ones rock!

(On a side note, the 25" McCarty has regular 5815s, not the LTs, because it was originally ordered that way. I am now reminded how great those are, higher output but still very vintage, not too hot, still vintage voiced PAF pickups. Back in the 2016-2017 timeframe, I tried all the PRS PAFs in the 594s (5909s, 5310s, 5708s, 5815s), and 5815s were my favorite. I picked up a set of 5815s on eBay last month as well, so I have the ability to throw those in a 594 at some point to have one with slightly higher output PRS PAFs, which is great!)

The 2016 SC 594 Prototype was still deemed to be the king of my 594 collection, still the "Holy Grail" guitar for me. It bested the new 2020 SC 594, which is amazing in its own right. It was helpful to have others in the room to help compare them all with the great amps we had there that day, and to have someone else play it and just listen rather than playing and trying to listen at the same time. Nice to have a Holy Grail guitar! :)

Of my 2020 DC 594s, the one seems to be my favorite so far:

jiO5O9I.jpg

rXAkNfS.jpg

It is lightweight at 7 pounds 6 ounces, but still very resonant in a cool unique way (I have found that sometimes the lighter ones lack some mojo, but sometimes they are also amazing). Visually I love the vintage vibe with the Cherry Back and Neck and the McCarty Sunburst finish, and also the vintage tuners and subtle but killer 10 Top.

I need to make sure to keep an eye on Mike/Rider1260, he has declared his affection for this one as well!! ;)

haMNY8r.jpg

How about everyone else out there? Any new 2020 594s, or thoughts, discussions, questions?

Love my 594 but LT pickups not hot enough for my needs. Found a 58/15 for the bridge, installed it and it sounds great.

Question:
Can I buy new TCI 85/15 pickups in both the new 594 AND/or the McCarty?
Core only for me.
Ultimate would be 58/15 TCI’s in a 594.

Thoughts appreciated.

stay safe everyone.

George,
I have a 1998 McCarty that I bought new. I recently got 594 sc. Bother guitars play very well but I think the 594 plays and sounds better. Much better in fact.
I can't speak to a DC 594 sound. I only briefly got to play one at a guitar center so not a good place to demo one.
I wanted a SC because I used to own a Les Paul and I wanted another one but a better LP. This is for sure a better LP type guitar.
Should you buy it? You'll have to decide that. Mine is in a stunning Orange Tiger 10 top. I have no regrets about my purchase.

My 594 is awesome, especially now with
58/15 in bridge. Mine is a 2018 core double cut. The SC’s were too heavy for my needs.
My Les Paul is awesome and only 8.1 lbs and my 594 DC is 7.4 lbs.
Happy camper. Now just gotta stay away from this TCI pickup. Tempting, not sure worth it cuz have not played.
My fav PRS pickups are my 85/15’s in my P Stock CU22. OMG! Awesome.
If you get a CU22 or CU24 make sure you get 85/15’s if you wanna kick ass and rock.
CU24 and a low turn pickup won’t work.
Good luck.

George,
I have a 1998 McCarty that I bought new. I recently got 594 sc. Bother guitars play very well but I think the 594 plays and sounds better. Much better in fact.
I can't speak to a DC 594 sound. I only briefly got to play one at a guitar center so not a good place to demo one.
I wanted a SC because I used to own a Les Paul and I wanted another one but a better LP. This is for sure a better LP type guitar.
Should you buy it? You'll have to decide that. Mine is in a stunning Orange Tiger 10 top. I have no regrets about my purchase.
Thanks Bob. I think I am going to grab it!

Am hoping I don't regret it because I really wanted a SC. Hopefully I can use some EQ to fatten her up a bit (Source Audio EQ2 to the rescue lol) Otherwise I think I'll be very happy.

Like everyone says get a SC too

Back