The Theater Is Open

Coral Sky Music

Authorized Dealer
Authorized PRS Dealer
Interested to see everyone's take on this...
After the first listen it has a different feel to me than the past few records
But new Dream Theater material is like a "Buffet", It takes more than one trip to fully enjoy and a few days to completely digest everything..

I'm a fan from way back, saw them on the Images & Words tour and met them all. Really love most of the albums up to Octavarium, but after that I just lost any interest in what they've put out. Don't know if it's just changing taste, getting old, or a combo of both. No denying that they're all insanely talented musicians still, just doesn't resonate with me much anymore. Glad they're still out there plugging away though, have a bunch of friends that still really enjoy the new stuff.

Mike Mangini is near the top of the rock star godz for me. His band mates aren't bad either.

Watching the drummer auditions a few years ago left me with mixed emotions. I really like Mangini a lot, but Marco Minnemann is the whose come closest to my Mount Rushmore of Keith Moon, Neil Peart, and Terry Bozzio. I was kind of hoping for Marco to get the gig because that would be a huge career step, but I was hoping he wouldn't because that would mean the end of the Aristocrats (and I think the combo of Marco/Bryan Beller/Guthrie Govan is just magical). Mike vs. Marco was win-win, but the Marco choice came with a certain loss. I talked to Marco after an Aristocrats gig and told him pretty much exactly that, and he said he felt the same way, that while he wanted the gig and it would have been huge for him, in retrospect he would have given up so much that it would have been a tad bittersweet because he'd have had to give up a lot as well.

Ultimately, I think it's worked out for the best. Mike is a great fit with the DT guys - I've seen him with both DT and Petrucci on the G3 tour, and he's seamless.

Watching the drummer auditions a few years ago left me with mixed emotions. I really like Mangini a lot, but Marco Minnemann is the whose come closest to my Mount Rushmore of Keith Moon, Neil Peart, and Terry Bozzio. I was kind of hoping for Marco to get the gig because that would be a huge career step, but I was hoping he wouldn't because that would mean the end of the Aristocrats (and I think the combo of Marco/Bryan Beller/Guthrie Govan is just magical). Mike vs. Marco was win-win, but the Marco choice came with a certain loss. I talked to Marco after an Aristocrats gig and told him pretty much exactly that, and he said he felt the same way, that while he wanted the gig and it would have been huge for him, in retrospect he would have given up so much that it would have been a tad bittersweet because he'd have had to give up a lot as well.

Ultimately, I think it's worked out for the best. Mike is a great fit with the DT guys - I've seen him with both DT and Petrucci on the G3 tour, and he's seamless.

Understood. Mike Portnoy was my favorite drummer until I saw Mangini last year at Sweetwater. That was perhaps my favorite music "demonstration" I've ever seen. He is a machine.
I also understand that "ratings" are so subjective. There's one helluva lot of talented drummers.

Dig! I find it funny that they did a split screen, since there are so many covers of their songs done that way. There's a lot of good here. Especially the fact that I can finally hear Myung's bass!

Got my ticket for the Chicago show. Flying solo. First seat, second row, off the main aisle. Can't wait!

...I can finally hear Myung's bass!
That was my take-away, too! Instantly thought it might have been Portnoy’s insistence of having his kick dominate that frequency spectrum, effectively drowning out Myung. I’ve seen Mike’s demanding side in person. The term primadonna isn’t strong enough.

Back