The Ted backside

g.wizz

Nabs
Is it possible that they used ribbon mahogany on this limited model? I couldn't take a clear picture of my Ted 09
But it seems like half of it is ribboned, and I just noticed this after more than 2 years being in my hands.

Well I tried today but the light reflection onside the house made it blurry, but I'll try to take one soon

I had an 07 sc semihollow that had an outrageous ribbed hog back. But then I looked at about 30 of the same model before I cherry picked the one I ended up with. Most had plain backs but there were exceptions. I think the same happens w different runs where a couple exceptions creep into the mix.

I hope this link works, I'm using my phone imgur app
WRBhLef

The way the wood is cut affects the potential figuring. A flatsawn piece of mahogany won't show ribbon figure but a quarter or rift sawn piece will.

Well, that depends on the mahogany type. I’ve got a few with African ribbon mahogany that I believe are flatsawn, and the figure is very strong. I’ll take a pic later and post.

Well, that depends on the mahogany type. I’ve got a few with African ribbon mahogany that I believe are flatsawn, and the figure is very strong. I’ll take a pic later and post.

Please do! I build guitars as a sort of hobby-buisness and have yet to see flatsawn ribbon mahogany in any lumber yards I've been to.

As a side note to that, one of those lumber places supplies Martin custom shop, Gibson, Fender, and PRS so I got some maple that would probably pass as Artist grade from the Gibson and PRS rejects pile because it was too thin to bookmatch and carve a top from.

Please do! I build guitars as a sort of hobby-buisness and have yet to see flatsawn ribbon mahogany in any lumber yards I've been to.

As a side note to that, one of those lumber places supplies Martin custom shop, Gibson, Fender, and PRS so I got some maple that would probably pass as Artist grade from the Gibson and PRS rejects pile because it was too thin to bookmatch and carve a top from.

Will do.

Back