The Studio needs a different pickup!!

...when I got my first PRS I was ruined.

These discussions on tone are somewhat academic but enjoyable, because it's clear we all have our favs, personally not a huge fan of the DGT. In the end however, this is the statement that rings true for most on this site.

Beautiful SAS yankeebulldog.

Alright, time for full disclosure. The house was empty this morning so I took the opportunity to push the clean channel on the 50W side of my Mesa and look for the output offset between the 57/08s and NFs. It's there, no doubt. However, it only seems to be really pronounced when the amp is pushing a lot of power. It's not noticeable when I switch over to the burn channel (lead channel) or even in crunch mode which is essentially the same channel as the clean channel. So I think I would have to say that the "issue" is a non-issue for me based on my rig and the style of music I usually play. I don't think I will mess with the setup on my guitar because I really don't need to compensate for an issue with a tone that I never seem to need. So there you go for what ever that's worth. Be interested to know if this is where other Studio owners/former owners see the issue.

The beautiful thing about PRS guitars or guitars in general is there are many different kinds of wood, hardware and pickup configs we can all choose from to find our "sound".

The Studio isn't going to be the right guitar for every single player out there. Neither is the DGT, the CU24, 305, LP, Strat etc...

Slev isn't wrong for not having an issue with his Studio and blaren isn't wrong for having an issue with his.

My experience with the Studio model taught me a valuable lesson, if it's not right for me, I shouldn't fight it and try to make it right for me. It is what it is.. Sometimes you just gotta let em go...

P1010815.jpg

I switched the bridge pickup to an uncovered Dave Grisson Treble and I'm happy with it:)
tfancil

I can see the point, but I'm ok with it. I love the sound of the NFs - they remind me of the Z-90.
My ***** is that I bought a Studio last year, and now I really want a P22!

Thanks for selling it to me:)
tfancil

No probs. It was definitely my favorite pickup in my Studio during it's time with me..

Also, any Studio owners out there that are not quite 100% on it and need that little extra push, consider having the NFs modded for coil tapping. It was almost like having a Swiss Army Guitar...

Getting of topic here! But since we are discussing the studio model, can someone tell me if the body thickness is the same as the McCarty/Grissom models or is it the standard Custom thickness?

Thanks!

Getting of topic here! But since we are discussing the studio model, can someone tell me if the body thickness is the same as the McCarty/Grissom models or is it the standard Custom thickness?

Thanks!

Yeah, the Studio is McCarty thickness...

I really liked the narrowfields in the NF3.

To the OP, it sounds like an uncovered 5909 would fit the bill nicely.

Yeah I figured a 59/09 would be a great match but I wasn't able to find any at reasonable prices or anyone wanting to make a trade...until AFTER I installed the CC.
BUT...I'm so LOVING this guitar with the CC in it. It's PERFECT now for me. This is the first time ever that I've liked a sc (tapped CC) in a bridge position..well...except for the CE's but that's two SCs together...but I didnt like it's old HFS that much either. It was a little too "scooped" for me.
I/we don't play anything real heavy and the heavy stuff is where PRS geets seem right at home. The Studio (and some other new models) seem more geared towards "me" lol. More geared to a bit of a cleaner tone...more "vintagey"...obviously...what with all the 50 series PAF style pups but...in the Studio....IF you ask ME (and several others), PRS went just a little too far towards the tame side in the Studio with the 57/08.

Anyway yeah....I'm happier than a pork in poop now!
ymmv

Darn...played today outdoors on a pretty nice stage and coulda recorded it. oopsies. I think the CC is my favorite bucker ever. I guess that tells you that either my ears aren't that fine or I havent tried many wicked pickups.
I play "classic rock" style stuff so I was never crazy about the HFS, and so you'd THINK I woulda loved the 57/08. Well, maybe I guess I like something a little hotter than a PAF but not a ceramic mag?
I preferred the PAF Pro in the CE over the HFS but the PAF Pro was a little TOO nasaly sounding even for me. I mean I used it...it's still in that guitar but I always woulda liked to have had it a BIT different. I want/wanted a goldilocks. Not as scooped as the HFS but not as mid humpy as the paf pro but with more juice than the 57/08 (especially in context of the NFs).

SO, I have the Stood JUST the way I want it. My old ('82) TS-9 has Keeley's Mod Plus, and my amps are in ship shape. EXCEPT. My main amp is a little bottom heavy. The CC is also a pretty "thick" sounding pup. I think I finally have to get off my butt and tweak the amp a bit. I should then be in HEAVEN. So, I'll start messin with different caps in the studio lol!

I'll try to stirr-up some clips.

Back