The story behind the guitar...

PS guitars are very versatile...they make great ping-pong Paddles too!!!

BxXML3a.jpg

The concentration on his face is great!

I think I’d have turned it round, making sure I got the return!;)

Keeping in chronological order, next up for me was the PRS 509.

After getting the 594, a guitar that was heavily inspired by and gave me the Vintage 'Les Paul' that I was most familiar with, I wanted something that was at the opposite end of the solid body spectrum. I have never liked the aesthetics of 'Fender' guitars, never liked to see the natural beauty of the body of a guitar covered with a solid paint and a plastic pick guard. Even though PRS were making the Silver Sky - although I don't recall seeing these in the shops at the time, the same principal applied - solid paint and plastic Pick guard. Another thing that put me off was 'single coils' and the ice-picky thin sounds they can have.

I wanted a 513 initially because I was attracted to its versatility and whilst I 'could' get some Single Coil tones, tones that weren't tones that I felt I could actually use if and when I wanted/needed. Unfortunately, due to circumstances, most of which I briefly mentioned in my 594 post, by the time I was able to consider making another PRS purchase and had the funds to do so, PRS had discontinued the 513 and replaced it with the 509. Being very particular over the colour, I was unable to find a Fire Red Burst 513 but had seen a couple of Fire Red Burst 509's. Part of me was thinking it was a bit worse, numerically, the 513 was more 'versatile' but after doing a bit more research, I wasn't so sure that I would use both Humbucker options and the 509 sounded great. I loved the independent splitting too. I also had bookmarked this 509 and decided that a 509 would be more than 'adequate' for my needs.

psZ8lWF.jpg

When my 2017 PRS 509 arrived, I was immediately amazed at how much better it looked in person. I hadn't actually picked this up and tried it beforehand because of my desire to get a Fire Red Burst and no shop locally had one - not even one in other colours so this was also my first time actually having hands on with it. I had read that some were not fans of the styling of these Pick-ups but with the red/black colour scheme of mine, the Pick-ups looked great - better than the 58/15's with the white plastic Pick-up rings on my 594 - something I have often considered replacing for black - still think PRS should use Black as standard on appropriate coloured guitars like this. Aesthetically, this guitar looked fantastic.

As with all new guitars, I opted to play it for a bit to see how it felt and sounded, how much natural sustain and resonance the guitar had - I was NOT disappointed - maybe not quite the natural sustain og the 594 but it is thinner and has a different bridge too. After playing my 594 and this being the longest Scale length guitar I had owned, I did notice the difference that the 25.25" scale had. I have kept the same String Gauge of 10's - primarily because I have 10's on my 594 - but have thought about drop down to 9.5's or even 9's - but for now at least, I have kept using 10's for ease and now adding 2 more PRS guitars (the Cu24 and Special 22 - I will get round to the stories of these on their own posts), both using 10's, it's easier to keep using 10's. The other big differences for me was the Trem bridge - my first trem bridge I have owned as well as just having a master tone/volume too. In fairness, other than a little try, I don't tend to plug the whammy bar in.

BJ3Om6e.jpg

The H-S-H style arrangement of this as well as the longer scale length is why I call this my 'super strat' PRS guitar. I have also stated that to me, the 509 is the Jack of all trades, master of none and by that, I mean that you can get 2 of the 3 (no double humbucker) Les Paul type sounds, the Bridge split is quite Tele like and the middle & neck are as close to 'Strat' like as I like to be. You can't get everything a LP, Tele or Strat would give if you bought a 509 to replace those 3 instruments hence Master of None BUT if you want a PRS Superstrat that has its own thing going and incredibly versatile, this is a great guitar. The independent coil splitting mini-toggles are very useful and easy to get used to. I like the fact that you can set the guitar to be a H-S-S set-up for a song and just use the the 5-way. The Pattern Regular neck is comfortable too and, like all my PRS, has the locking tuners and the high quality you expect from Paul Reed Smith Guitars.

The Pick-ups sound great and certainly hotter than my 594. Its a more modern instrument for sure. In recent times (since I added more PRS to my collection), I have not really given this instrument the time and love it deserves. As all my PRS are humbucker based guitars, with or without the option to split/tap, I have tended to see this as more of an S-S-S guitar. As someone who also prefers shorter scale length as well as Humbucker tones, my 509 hasn't had as much use as it had deserved. I had stopped seeing it has a 'super-strat' and more of just a 'Strat/tele' SC guitar. Whilst all my other guitars had become 'favourites', unable to pick just 1 as my favourite, I had started to see this as the guitar that, if I had to sell one, not that I wanted to sell at all, this would be the guitar I would sacrifice.

aIjBEci.jpg

However, thanks to a recent post about the 509 vs Special, asking which to buy, it made me think about the 509, what I bought it for and its role in my collection. One of the main reasons was because this was my 'SuperStrat' - not just a guitar for its Single Coils but for its versatility, for its 'option' to be used to give a tele like bridge and more stratty middle/neck but also the ability to be used to give a humbucker bridge and neck - and a great humbucker in its neck and bridge hotter and 'different' to the Humbuckers I have. The more I thought about why I bought and trying to give my honest opinion about the guitar as a whole, as well as a video of its versatility on a plethora of well known tunes - inc many that used the guitar in Humbucker mode, the more I remembered how much I loved this guitar.

As someone who won't buy a tele or strat, this is more than good enough but it also has great humbuckers too. My 509 has returned to being the Super Strat that I bought and fell in love with...

It makes sense that I start with my first PRS, My 2016 PRS 594 in Fire Red Burst.

The story of why I bought my 594 goes back to why I wanted to learn to play Guitar in the first place and that was hearing Slash play a Les Paul. His intro on Sweet Child of Mine just blew me away and after that, I had to get a Les Paul - A used Epiphone Les Paul custom. A few years of bedroom playing and dating led me to meet a woman who had kids from previous partners. 1 thing led to another and she became my wife. Working and looking after the children meant my guitar playing stopped being a 'regular' thing and then adding to the family with my own basically put a stop to me playing - at least my Electric. We ended up in a bit of financial difficulty so I had to sell my Epiphone and my Marshall TSL 602 Amp - something that was not getting much use and I had an Acoustic if I had the chance to play.

That marriage broke down and we ended up separating. As she had the house and all the furniture, white goods etc, any free money I had went on my small apartment but now I was single, not running around after Kids, I was wanting to get back to playing again. As I hadn't played an electric for quite a few years, and as the Les Paul was the reason I started playing, I thought buying a Gibson Les Paul should be first. Something I was most familiar with and I had never owned a Trem either. I looked for the 'one', the one that spoke to me, had no fit or finish issues and preferably one in the colour I preferred. One of the best sounding Gibsons though had a gap in the neck pocket - one that you could put a finger nail into or use it as a pick-holder. After trying a fair few and getting a bit disheartened with the search, PRS happened to launch the 594 as a 'core' model...

SXniMHl.jpg

As soon as I picked one up, it felt quality and I could not find a single fault. Despite not being a 10top, the flame was better than any I had seen on a Gibson and I much prefer the natural 'faux' binding - especially as there was no evidence of the stain bleeding into it as I had seen on numerous Les Pauls. The neck and rolled fret board felt broken in, as if I had played it for years. The frictionless pots felt smooth and everything just oozed quality. A strum before plugging it in had me sold - it just rang and rang, it felt resonant and the weight wasn't bad either - 8lbs and something. I thought I had found the 'one' but just check, I grabbed another off the wall, the fit and finish too was flawless, a quick strum unplugged and it was just as resonant and rang and rang too, same with the 3rd and last in the shop. Every one could be the One so there and then, I decided to buy a 594 instead of Gibson Les Paul. Plugging it in, hearing the tone stopped any doubt...

The 24.594" scale suits me as I do prefer the shorter scale length and something I was used to with the Epi's 24.75" scale and the Pattern Vintage neck feels comfortable - overall the neck felt broken in as if I had been playing it for years. I prefer a lower output pick-up in general and the 58/15 LT's are great vintage sounding pick up with clarity even with gain. The option to independently split the Humbuckers via the push/pull tone pots gives you 8 useable Pick-up combinations. Even unplugged, my 594 guitar sustains very well which maybe due to the brass saddles and posts in PRS's tune-o-matic style bridge. We all know how the 3+3 Headstock design is 'perfect' for tuning stability with enough angle and straight string pull so you don't have the risks or stability issues that other guitars of this type can have. The locking tuners are great too and I love the open back design as well. The 594 comes with a Bone nut as well.

8sNcZH1.jpg

Its quite obvious what role this guitar brings as its clearly a Vintage Les Paul inspired guitar but with PRS quality, expertise and modern touches - like the locking tuners and coil splitting. I love the way it keeps the clarity and its a joy to play. Anytime I want a classic/vintage humbucker guitar, this is the one I reach for. I have mine set up with 10's and generally don't opt to use the split coil tones - mostly because I tend to use my 509 (a guitar for another post) for that. I used to think that if you want a 'Les Paul', you buy a Gibson Les Paul. In fairness, a Gibson has more grunt but lacked the clarity and finesse that the 594 has - at least in my opinion. If space wasn't a concern, I would add a Gibson LP - if I found the right one, but I wouldn't swap my 594 for one.

As I said this was my first PRS and the first guitar I could buy after a marriage breakdown, a marriage that also stopped my opportunity to consider buying a good guitar let alone a guitar of the calibre of a PRS. I am not 'bitter' as there is no point looking backwards at what could have been and better to look at what I have now. This 594 has led me to buy 4 more Core PRS guitars and I will get to those stories at a later date. I don't have favourite guitars either but I wouldn't trade this 594 in for anything other than a higher tier (wood library or Private Stock - not that I am looking or a trade).

kNgNQCs.jpg

Great thread idea, and I loved reading this post.

In 1940 the French army and the British Expeditionary Force were prepared to fight World War One, Part 2. They were fairly well equipped for this eventuality. Unfortunately for them, when the Germans invaded they got World War Two, Part 1.

Similarly, most of my guitars were bought because I wanted to be prepared for the previous ad I just finished. I don’t need to tell you this is obviously a backwards strategy. Nonetheless, it has been my strategy for many years, because I’m not a very competent strategist.

Consequently, in 2014 I did a heavy guitar bit on the Ford F-150 campaign, and I thought to myself, you know what I need? I need a heavy, honkin’ guitar. So I went to Jack Gretz’ website, and he had a couple examples of a limited run of McCarty Singlecuts. He had John, his associate, play them through a PRS amp, and they sent me a clip. Sounded great! So I picked one and bought it. I sold my Signature Limited 408 based guitar to help pay the freight.

The next ad that came in the door was a country bit for RAM trucks’ Texas region. You can see how well my planning works. :rolleyes:

So here’s the guitar whose ad music debut was on a country western piece:

9jbLbz1.jpg

“Dr, Freud, I don’t know if this is a story of a guitar buying experience, or just a general statement of how disorganized my thinking is.”

“Don’t disturb me now, Mr. S., I’m playing “Call of Duty WWII” on my XBox.”

Don't mind us. Sitting back with a cooler of ice and bottled water / cold drinks, sunglasses. Planning on some peach cobbler / ice cream Monday, just need to visit grocers for ingredients. Also have an awesome Salmon & Greek Yogurt-Olive Haricots Verts recipe lined up. Mom will love this. It's been warm over this weekend, the air instability will bring needed precipitation and relief this evening and Monday...

Keeping with Chronological order, next up was my 2018 PRS Custom 24.

For me, the Custom 24 was a 'special' guitar. When I decided I wanted to learn to play guitar, the only guitars I wanted was a Gibson Les Paul. Obviously as a beginner, a teenager with a small income from a mind numbingly dull job that teenagers can get whilst still at school, I was not able to buy a real Gibson but I was able to get a Gibson LP Pamphlet and it had this stunning Wine Red Burst Les Paul custom with gold hardware. That immediately became my 'dream' guitar and the guitar I would aspire to own. Whilst on a trip to the big city, I found a little Guitar shop as I will still hunting my first Guitar. In that shop, they had a few Gibsons and I was looking at these, all hung so only the edges could be seen. As I was moving along these, at the very end of the line, there was a red Custom 24 with the Birds and I thought it looked like the most amazing instrument I had ever seen.

That shop was also the Shop that I bought my used Epiphone LP Custom but I couldn't get that PRS out of my head. A few years later, PRS made the Dragon and it was featured in Guitarist (or one of the Guitar Mags I bought back then) and I was blown away by the quality of the inlay work and craftsmanship. That reinforced my desire for a Custom 24 and after getting to try my friend and fellow band members Gibson and feeling that my Epiphone was better (reinforced by my friend also saying it was better), the dream of owning a proper Gibson became more of a stepping stone where the 'ultimate' and dream guitar was a Custom 24.

ciEaaCc.jpg

Many years later, when I was actually in a position to consider buying guitars as expensive as a 'Core' PRS, I wasn't sure if I should buy my dream guitar. It seemed to make more sense to get a Les Paul type guitar, a guitar that I thought I would be most familiar with first - hence the 594. After that, I thought about going to the opposite side of the spectrum next and also a guitar with a trem. As much as I wanted a Cu24, a 'superstrat' was the better choice at the time, offered a much wider palette and whilst I saved up again, the 594 and 509 would enable me to do more than a 594 and Cu24 would - at least that's my rationale. However, once I had my 594 and 509, the next guitar was going to be a Custom 24. No other guitar was going to be considered.

As soon as I was in a position to buy, I checked my two preferred retailers and whilst the first didn't have any Fire Red Burst, the 2nd had this beautiful Chevron style Custom 24. Without hesitation, I placed my order and eagerly awaited delivery. I was keen to get my 594, more apprehensive with the 509 but waiting for my Custom 24 was crazy. As I said, the Custom 24 was my dream guitar from my teenage years and that added to excitement. In a lot of ways, this was also slap bang in the middle as that's what PRS said about the Custom 24 in '85 so it made sense from a purchasing decision but it was like meeting your hero and you really hope they live up to the expectation.

vbFJx28.jpg

When I opened the case and saw this beauty for the first time, not a picture, it looked even better. Areas I thought were not as flamed as the pictures looked a bit flat were actually more detailed - it seemed as you moved it in the light, these areas filled with flame. Getting it in my hands and feeling the 'Pattern Thin' neck allayed any fears about it being too thin. As someone who preferred thicker, chunkier necks, I was a little wary and even considered trying to find a Regular neck until the beauty of this pattern seduced me. As with all my guitars, I played it without plugging it in first and this sounded excellent, great sustain, great resonance and tone. Everyone hear knows that the specs of this is pure PRS and the quality as ever is exceptional.

Plugging it in and hearing the 85/15's for the first time was a joy. The 85/15's seem to be a perfect fit for the Custom 24 and love the tone of these into my Rig. The tuners and Trem are the same as on my 509 but the 25" scale does make a noticeable difference to the feel. I do think this rings a bit more than the 509 but not quite as long as my 594 - more than likely due to the thinner body and trem type bridge. Playability is great and I love the brighter neck tone and how it helps note clarity. I don't think of it as a Les Paul alternative (or SG either for that matter) and its certainly its own thing. It tends to fill that role of a modern dual humbucker guitar in my collection, a guitar that I love to play when I am not looking to try and play a famous song that was recorded on a LP or strat - at least not trying to mimic the exact tones. I love the fact that this has its own thing going on and that PRS created a guitar that is 'PRS' and not a copy of some existing guitar - a guitar that is coming up for its 35th anniversary.

xnyRsu9.jpg

I don't have any favourites at all, not as far as function, role or tonal quality as every guitar I own has something that the other guitars don't give me. That being said, If I had to pick a favourite top, this is certainly number 1. My PRS Special 22 has a very special aesthetically pleasing top and as much as I love it, part of me wishes it had been a Fire Red Burst and as such, its the 'odd one out'. Despite that, its definitely number 2. The Chevron style of this sets it apart and that's why its my favourite.

They say don't meet your heroes but I love this guitar and its a dream fulfilled. I have [eventually] been in a position to own the guitar I have wanted for over 30yrs. I may not of ended up playing a Custom 24 to fans that paid to see me (and/or my band) perform on the big stages but at least I get to play one. For me, this is the 'PRS' guitar, the guitar that is the most 'PRS' guitar with the most PRS sound. This guitar is even better than the guitars I remembered aspiring to own all those years ago...

Ever have that feeling that you have almost exactly what you want, but you’re kind of obsessed with getting exactly what you want, and are willing to pay a lot more dough for it?

That’s the story of my maple Tonare Grand. At the time, PRS made a Core acoustic (with an Artist option that meant different fretboard, top wood, and maybe some trim) but it was only available with cocobolo or mahogany back and sides, and I had a thing for maple. I already had the Artist Tonare with cocobolo, and it was a sweet guitar. But I was obsessed, you see. So I sold the Coco, and ordered this one from PS:

Maple back and sides, Adirondack Spruce top, ebony fretboard and bridge. The trim was all stock PS, and I wanted the Core birds, no fancy stuff. Truth is, I didn’t want to be shy about bringing it out at a session, and I would have been with a fancy one. If you don’t look at it too hard, it’s just a nice small jumbo acoustic. The color is Smoky Blonde, which is appropriate, because it’s a cannon, and cannons smoke after they fire.

3mVz6f7.jpg

PRS announced some cool guitars for their 30th Anniversary. I got interested in the CU24 version. Jack Gretz had an Artist model in Vintage Yellow that kind of caught my eye, but he also had a limited run 30th PS model. I wasn’t interested in the PS, because (a) it was more expensive, and (b) I’m not really a fan of quilt tops, so I wasn’t likely to spring for a PS version with one!

But I asked for a clip of the Artist vs the PS just to have a comparison benchmark. Well, the sound of that PS haunted me for two days, until I decided it was the one to get. I’ve done a lot of work with this guitar over the past 4 years, and I figure it’s paid for itself. I’ve had other CU24s going back to 1991; this one’s just one of those magic guitars. Call it a lucky strike, if you will. I decided I could live with the quilt top after hearing this thing. Sounds great, plays great. Vintage Yellow is a fave PRS color.

Maple top, African mahogany back, Madagascar rosewood fretboard. The tone control pulls up and is a “sweet switch,” like the original CU24s. I s’pose that’s a cool detail, but I don’t use the sweet switch.

81aB0Cr.jpg

Gone, but not forgotten, my first PRS. I was lucky to catch the bug as a teenager. By the time I hit age 19 in 1998, I was ready to go for it. I almost pulled the trigger on a Standard 22 Maple Top because the high prices on Customs made me uncomfortable and this was essentially a Goldtop Custom, but I reeaally wanted a Custom 24 in Emerald Green with moons. Lo and behold, my local George's Music happened to have exactly that.

I didn't have quite enough money, so I convinced my dad to co-sign on getting me a store credit card. It was my first credit card ever, so it was the sensible choice to start establishing a credit history, right? ;)

Eventually, I realized the Wide/Thin neck wasn't for me, so I moved it on to a new home in 2011.

NFt0wTml.jpg

Ever have that feeling that you have almost exactly what you want, but you’re kind of obsessed with getting exactly what you want, and are willing to pay a lot more dough for it?

That’s the story of my maple Tonare Grand. At the time, PRS made a Core acoustic (with an Artist option that meant different fretboard, top wood, and maybe some trim) but it was only available with cocobolo or mahogany back and sides, and I had a thing for maple. I already had the Artist Tonare with cocobolo, and it was a sweet guitar. But I was obsessed, you see. So I sold the Coco, and ordered this one from PS:

Maple back and sides, Adirondack Spruce top, ebony fretboard and bridge. The trim was all stock PS, and I wanted the Core birds, no fancy stuff. Truth is, I didn’t want to be shy about bringing it out at a session, and I would have been with a fancy one. If you don’t look at it too hard, it’s just a nice small jumbo acoustic. The color is Smoky Blonde, which is appropriate, because it’s a cannon, and cannons smoke after they fire.

3mVz6f7.jpg
My Tonare would like to visit your Tonare. I think they could make beautiful music together.

Gone, but not forgotten, my first PRS. I was lucky to catch the bug as a teenager. By the time I hit age 19 in 1998, I was ready to go for it. I almost pulled the trigger on a Standard 22 Maple Top because the high prices on Customs made me uncomfortable and this was essentially a Goldtop Custom, but I reeaally wanted a Custom 24 in Emerald Green with moons. Lo and behold, my local George's Music happened to have exactly that.

I didn't have quite enough money, so I convinced my dad to co-sign on getting me a store credit card. It was my first credit card ever, so it was the sensible choice to start establishing a credit history, right? ;)

Eventually, I realized the Wide/Thin neck wasn't for me, so I moved it on to a new home in 2011.

NFt0wTml.jpg

Good looking guitar, even though it’s gone!

Back