The Special Semi-hollow

Yeah the top two core guitars I want; HBII, Special Semi Hollow!

Actually the top three are; HBII, CU22 Special SH, 594 DC.

Actually; HBII, Special SH, 594 DC, DGT! Oh and a Santana... Oh crap!

Yeah the top two core guitars I want; HBII, Special Semi Hollow!

If I had to pick just two PRSs, I'd choose a Special SH and a 594. I love the 594. Total Les Paul killer IMO.

As someone with the top 3 you mention, I think you are missing the Cu24 which would be more of a different option and whilst I have the 509, maybe the Silver Sky would be a better for diversity and flexibility.

I got mine a month or two ago from our buddy @Brian Meader at the Guitar Sanctuary. Last night I finally got around to doing the one mod I think it needed - I swapped the volume pot for a push-push pot that had the middle pickup all by itself since there is no switch position that has this from the factory. So with the switch down, the switching is stock: B, B+M, B+N, M+N, N. With the switch up, it's just middle pickup no matter what the 5-way is set to.

So how does just the middle pickup sound ?

So how does just the middle pickup sound ?

That middle narrowfield by itself is killer! Took me a second to dial in the pickup heights for this guitar... as with most PRS pickups, this makes a massive difference. I also modded the narrowfield for series/parallel as well and added a mini toggle to 'tap it' in addition to a push pull on the volume for isolation.

just to confirm for my tech as not much info is available on this mod. This mod will allow stock configuration as well as middle Narrowfield only? Also do you have to sacrifice anything by doing the mod?

I got mine a month or two ago from our buddy @Brian Meader at the Guitar Sanctuary. Last night I finally got around to doing the one mod I think it needed - I swapped the volume pot for a push-push pot that had the middle pickup all by itself since there is no switch position that has this from the factory. So with the switch down, the switching is stock: B, B+M, B+N, M+N, N. With the switch up, it's just middle pickup no matter what the 5-way is set to.

just to confirm for my tech as not much info is available on this mod. This mod will allow stock configuration as well as middle Narrowfield only? Also do you have to sacrifice anything by doing the mod?

I did this in addition to a bunch of other mods, and you are correct, this allows stock config when the push-push (in my case push-pull) is not engaged, and when engaged you just get the narrowfield. When the narrowfield is isolated like this, it doesn't matter what you have the 5-way blade set to - it'll jump to the narrowfield isolated tone right away.

If your interested in some of the other mods I did, check this thread out:

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...-modification-thread.47373/page-2#post-638826
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...-modification-thread.47373/page-2#post-645416

The middle mod doesn't effect anything other than giving you an awesome NF tone on command. It's totally worth it.

The stock pickup is unmolested with the switch off. No sacrifices are required. The middle NF sounds fantastic.

A very nice and interesting design for sure especially the pickups combinations.

Back