The Special Semi-hollow

This video was a big reason that I wanted to get my Special Semi Hollow....

MNZdo85.jpg

And this top greatly helped my decision too. It 'broke' my collection of just Fire Red burst guitars but its definitely my most 'interesting' with the combination of wood grain and flame. I think its better than a lot of flame 10tops...

TJ7LdW3.jpg

Its not that heavy either BUT this is perhaps one of the heaviest guitars in this model. I haven't looked at 'every' Special for sale that list or show the weight but of all the ones I checked, ~7lb (+/- 3/4oz) seemed to be the ballpark weight so anyone looking to buy, shouldn't really worry about the weight. It seems that ~8lb+ is the point where those looking for a light guitar tend to draw their limit so if weight is an issue, then this model shouldn't be too heavy.

t7ewlvo.jpg

This is certainly a 'Special' guitar - not just special in name. I know PRS generally name their guitars based on some characteristic, quite literal with their naming. Custom 22/24 is apt - as good as, if not better than any 'custom' shop build with 22/24 frets. 509 because it has 5 'SC' pick-ups (arranged in a HSH format) and 09 different Pick up options, McCarty 594 because it has a scale length of 24.594 and of course the Pick-ups are aptly names nowadays too.

dbelatZ.jpg

And the back of mine is a lovely piece of mahogany too. We don't often show the pictures of the back as the top is often the view that everyone loves, that catches the eye and what PRS have become known for. I think this back though is still worth seeing as it shows of the quality of the Mahogany and the large 'belly carve' for comfort....

Anyway, this is a result of watching that video. If you don't want to lured into buying an aptly named special, enticed to act quickly because of its 'limited edition' run, then maybe don't watch the video.....

Last edited:
I too was a victim of the video and Mozzi Detailed description and review sealed the deal. It really is a killer guitar and everyone should have one.

Can't agree more - as you probably knew anyway. It certainly is aptly named. Now you have had some time with it, does it fit with what you expected from the information I provided. I would hate to think I missed something or worse, mislead you on any aspect.

This video was a big reason that I wanted to get my Special Semi Hollow....

MNZdo85.jpg

And this top greatly helped my decision too. It 'broke' my collection of just Fire Red burst guitars but its definitely my most 'interesting' with the combination of wood grain and flame. I think its better than a lot of flame 10tops...

TJ7LdW3.jpg

Its not that heavy either BUT this is perhaps one of the heaviest guitars in this model. I haven't looked at 'every' Special for sale that list or show the weight but of all the ones I checked, ~7lb (+/- 3/4oz) seemed to be the ballpark weight so anyone looking to buy, shouldn't really worry about the weight. It seems that ~8lb+ is the point where those looking for a light guitar tend to draw their limit so if weight is an issue, then this model shouldn't be too heavy.

t7ewlvo.jpg

This is certainly a 'Special' guitar - not just special in name. I know PRS generally name their guitars based on some characteristic, quite literal with their naming. Custom 22/24 is apt - as good as, if not better than any 'custom' shop build with 22/24 frets. 509 because it has 5 'SC' pick-ups (arranged in a HSH format) and 09 different Pick up options, McCarty 594 because it has a scale length of 24.594 and of course the Pick-ups are aptly names nowadays too.

dbelatZ.jpg

And the back of mine is a lovely piece of mahogany too. We don't often show the pictures of the back as the top is often the view that everyone loves, that catches the eye and what PRS have become known for. I think this back though is still worth seeing as it shows of the quality of the Mahogany and the large 'belly carve' for comfort....

Anyway, this is a result of watching that video. If you don't want to lured into buying an aptly named special, enticed to act quickly because of its 'limited edition' run, then maybe don't watch the video.....

It's twin....one of my patented crappy pics!

1OkdqUd.jpg

Can't agree more - as you probably knew anyway. It certainly is aptly named. Now you have had some time with it, does it fit with what you expected from the information I provided. I would hate to think I missed something or worse, mislead you on any aspect.

You missed nothing regarding your description. I find it to have a plethora of tones much different than the guitar I keep comparing it to my 513. I will say the 513 is on a broad-spectrum has more diverse tones than the Special. This is only true because the 513 offers modern humbucker, clear humbucker, and single coil switch. Both guitars are worth owning , if you want to have a broad spectrum of tones from your guitars. Both guitars are extremely different from each other.,..... I am thrilled with the SSH guitar.

What I would like to see next is a hybrid between the Modern Eagle V and Special with 24 frets. The TCI pickup in the neck position, narrow field in the middle, Santana III bridge pickup or 58/15MT (I like a midrange Humbucker in the bridge position). I would like it to switching like the Modern Eagle V especially the 250K/500k tone switch.

I got mine a month or two ago from our buddy @Brian Meader at the Guitar Sanctuary. Last night I finally got around to doing the one mod I think it needed - I swapped the volume pot for a push-push pot that had the middle pickup all by itself since there is no switch position that has this from the factory. So with the switch down, the switching is stock: B, B+M, B+N, M+N, N. With the switch up, it's just middle pickup no matter what the 5-way is set to.

I got mine a month or two ago from our buddy @Brian Meader at the Guitar Sanctuary. Last night I finally got around to doing the one mod I think it needed - I swapped the volume pot for a push-push pot that had the middle pickup all by itself since there is no switch position that has this from the factory. So with the switch down, the switching is stock: B, B+M, B+N, M+N, N. With the switch up, it's just middle pickup no matter what the 5-way is set to.

Rad to see you around again, Tim.

Back