The Southern Rock Thread

These guys stretch the idea of 'Southern Rock' a little to me, but they're from Atlanta so... Drivin' N Cryin' doing "Detroit City".

Goldtop City

As usual, I'm with ya on these guys...true on the 'Southern Rock' thing...they're borderline at best, but I still dig em..I have no idea what "Fly Me Courageous" means..but I LOVE IT!

Last edited:
ARS - Atlanta Rhythm Section. Named that because 'Doraville Rhythm Section' (where they were from) just didn't have a ring to it. "Imaginary Lover(s)". Ronnie Hammond and Paul Goddard RIP!

Goldtop LPC

I was a huge fan. I played Champagne Jam til the grooves wore out. Ronnie Hammond, the voice, died a few years back. :-(. They had a lot of good songs. I always liked this one:

images

A few years ago, Gov’t Mule came to Guitar Center in Indy. Boogie went with me, and we were standing at the edge of Warren’s mic stand. When nobody was looking (or so I though), I reached out and took one of his picks from his stand. The next thing I know, Brian Farmer, Warren’s long time pal and guitar tech, yells at the top of his lungs “Thief!!!,” and he came over and snatched the pick out of my hand. Man, was I embarrassed! I also deserved it. Boogie laughed so hard I though he might pass out. After a few minutes, Brian came over laughing and gave me the pick. Sadly, a short time later, Brian passed away. :-(

I really dig this one by WSP...the Faux Slide is ridiculously cool...on a PRS, no less;)

I can't get into WSP, even with as much as I love Jimmy Herring. First time I've seen him with a DGT, cool! Such a fitting model for him, since he's had PRS make him guitars with dual volume controls for a long time.

I'll keep with "Off the beaten path"

I listened to them a little and forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder.

One of my favorite Skynyrd songs...

That's a good one. The quality of their catalog is deep.

For the record, I love "Freebird" and would love to perform it. I think that since nobody ever plays it, it would be awesome to answer the smart ass at a show yelling "Freebird!" by immediately playing it.

These guys (Black Stone Cherry) are doing their best to keep the fire burning. Not to mention, they are probably some of the nicest and most humble guys you will ever meet. They haven't taken off in the states as much as they have in Europe. Going to check them and Gov't Mule out in May. It's not for everyone but, it's got a great beat and you can dance to it:D the first one is a kick a$$ song IMHO. The second was the single that got them noticed. The last one is a "party anthem" recorded at Download Festival in England a few years back. Chris in particular, is a hell of a guitar player and a great frontman in his own right. He also is a HUGE PRS fanboy...which earns him extra points in my book.;) if you aren't already familiar with them...It'sworth a listen for sure.

Last edited:
These guys (Black Stone Cherry) are doing their best to keep the fire burning. Not to mention, they are probably some of the nicest and most humble guys you will ever meet. They haven't taken off in the states as much as they have in Europe. Going to check them and Gov't Mule out in May. It's not for everyone but, it's got a great beat and you can dance to it:D the first one is a kick a$$ song IMHO. The second was the single that got them noticed. The last one is a "party anthem" recorded at Download Festival in England a few years back. Chris in particular, is a hell of a guitar player and a great frontman in his own right. He also is a HUGE PRS fanboy...which earns him extra points in my book.;) if you aren't already familiar with them...It'sworth a listen for sure.

Yeah, those dudes rock!

Their drummer is the son of the rhythm guitarist from Kentucky Headhunters. They're definitely more on the country side, but with a little rock edge. One of their big hits was inspired by a restaurant in my parents' little hometown in Kentucky.

Dang, I want a Ski now. Best soda ever.

A few years ago, Gov’t Mule came to Guitar Center in Indy. Boogie went with me, and we were standing at the edge of Warren’s mic stand. When nobody was looking (or so I though), I reached out and took one of his picks from his stand. The next thing I know, Brian Farmer, Warren’s long time pal and guitar tech, yells at the top of his lungs “Thief!!!,” and he came over and snatched the pick out of my hand. Man, was I embarrassed! I also deserved it. Boogie laughed so hard I though he might pass out. After a few minutes, Brian came over laughing and gave me the pick. Sadly, a short time later, Brian passed away. :-(
I was laughing because I nearly shat myself! There might be photos of the aftermath...gotta look.

Yeah, those dudes rock!

Their drummer is the son of the rhythm guitarist from Kentucky Headhunters. They're definitely more on the country side, but with a little rock edge. One of their big hits was inspired by a restaurant in my parents' little hometown in Kentucky.

Dang, I want a Ski now. Best soda ever.

Indeed they do!

Yup! Chris' dad Steve and I have been friends for a while. He is really good guy, he's that friend that sends the "inappropriate" video/meme on IM that usually makes you pee yourself laughing or embarasses the crap out of you in mixed company...the guy is an absolute hoot! Not to mention a very proud papa! I consider myself lucky to call the guy my friend!

For the record, I love "Freebird" and would love to perform it. I think that since nobody ever plays it, it would be awesome to answer the smart ass at a show yelling "Freebird!" by immediately playing it.

A few years ago, I was at an Opeth show and someone yelled out for "Free Bird" between songs. Mikael said, "What is 'Free Bird'?" The dude kind of laughed, and Mikael said, "No, seriously, what is 'Free Bird'?" Things got a little quiet and almost uncomfortable, and the guy started trying to explain, and after about two minutes, Mikael said, "Dude, I know what 'Free Bird' is. We're Swedish, not stupid." After the laughter died down, Mikael said, "Wouldn't you just sh!t if we played it now?"

Frankie Clarke, a former Birds And Moons member, used to play it in his band Frankie And The Actions Live.

Back